Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: 358 Winchester, tell me what you know

Boolit Buddy

358 Winchester, tell me what you know

I came across a 358 Winchester barrel. I have an action sitting here begging for a barrel. It's enticing because I could also build an AR10 in it as well. So should I or shouldn't I.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes without a doubt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    What are some good molds to load this thing up to shoot subsonic?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by n10sivern View Post
    What are some good molds to load this thing up to shoot subsonic?
    Almost any of the 38 Special/357 Magnum designs as long as they drop at .360" for proper fit in most rifle barrels. No need for a gas check design if you are not pushing the velocity. If feeding is finicky, try a round nose design instead of a SWC.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned

It is a very easy cartridge to get good accuracy with hunting power levels out of cast. Mine really likes the NOE clone of the RCBS 200 grain flat point and 40 grains of IMR 4320.

It's possibly the best CB cartridge out there. My current 358 is a Stevens 200 that was rebored by JES. Shoots amazing with everything I've tried so far, from 148gr wad cutters to 200gr RCBS. Looking forward to trying some heavier stuff next.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw NOE had some 310gr molds and they call the bullet the thumper. That would be an awesome bullet subsonic I think, but I wouldn't need the gas check as it'd be powder coated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_360-310-FN_(GC).Jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	180793

In my limited experience with it- one of the best. No learning curve to this one; load, shoot & enjoy. Best, Thomas.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    In my limited experience with it- one of the best. No learning curve to this one; load, shoot & enjoy. Best, Thomas.
    This. I haven't tried much in mine because I got what I wanted it to do very easily and stopped. My first range trip with it, I had some heavy, gas checked .357 pistol bullets and loaded 10 grains of Unique and it was very accurate with that too. I tried 35 grains of IMR 3031 at Goodsteel's advice, and it shot pretty well, but the 4320 did even better and I have a good amount of it on hand.

I don't think a guy can go wrong with a .358.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 200 grainer works really well in my 358 once gas checked and powder coated.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    You are gas checking your powder coated bullets?

I am of the opinion that the 358 Win may just be the finest cast bullet cartridge ever made. Being east of the Mississippi it has all the range I will ever need. It hits like a dump truck.

Build it and you'll never regret it.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Yep, another go for it post - I only have one 358 a Savage 99 but it wasn't hard to work up loads for and the RCBS 200 FP design works well - you can get it from LEE if you want to save money or get more cavities and if you can spend a little more you can get Multi cavity from NOE for a great copy.

I like ease of case forming from 308/7.62x51NATO brass

I really should get on the wagon and order a 358 barrel for my swap barrel.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

If you ever need serious short range stopping power for moose or similar creatures: NORMA ORYX

https://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Com...ts/Norma-Oryx/

It is quite easy to get the 250 grainer going at 2300 fps. That generates 2900 foot pounds of energy.
    --------
    SISU

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    A 35-250 fp @ 100yd 2150 over I4350 .

Attachment 180820

Mine was reamed for the 35XCB NOE 360-228 so I had that and the Lee 358-200 . Very easy to shoot gallery loads up to jerk your fillings out if you need that kind authority. I don't see it being all that difficult to use well out to 300 yd . Subs in light bullets should be easy on components . The 35 has almost as many moulds as 30 and a wider range of weights . I have 88,125,158,200 and 230 plus a RB and as mentioned above there are moulds up to at least 310 gr. I don't think you can go wrong with a 358 even if you had to feed it black powder it would be a winner.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Vendor Sponsor

the 358 win is an awesome cast bullet shooter mild to wild . It will do it all
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a rechambered Remington 760 carbine pump, a rebarreled tuned action Remington 700, and a Ruger Hawkeye in my most favorite cartridge. Recently spent a day at the range with my two bolt guns loaded up with jacketed bullets in 200 grain RN, 200 grain Spitzers, 220 grain flat nose, 225 grain Spitzer, and some big 250 grain RN bullets. Velocities using Ramshot TAC were as follows with my two .358 Winchester bolt guns.

200 grain RN went 2689 fps
    200 grain Spitzers went 2659 fps
    200 grain gummie tips went 2629 fps
    220 grain FN went 2549 fps
    225 grain Spitzers went 2529 fps
    250 grain RN went 2404 fps

The above speeds using TAC exceed all my .35 Whelen factory loads with better accuracy. I don't load that hot for our PA Whitetails using my .358's as 2400 fps to 2480 fps does the job nicely. To date 20 deer have gone into my freezer when using the .358 Winchesters. Nineteen were put into the freezer with the pump 760 and 200 grain RN bullets and one was taken with the Remington 700 and a 200 grain RPPCL.

Did I mention I really like the .358 Winchester?

358 Win

Boolit Master
    I bought a BLR 358 last spring, and it dropped a decent whitetail buck in less than 25 yards this fall. My accuracy with a 200gr RCBS gas checked bullet I mail ordered causes a distinct skepticism from other range members. I'll never do it again, but I shot one 3-shot 100 yard group which was measured for extreme spread by the president of a benchrest club. We subtracted .358" from the extreme spread and got a .07" center-to center group measurement. That group proved two things: luck is better than skill, and 3-shot groups don't prove anything.

Boolit Grand Master

The president of a Benchrest club should know 7 is the absolute minimum w/ 10 being the preferred minimum. But some people don't believe in math :laugh:

Boolit Master
    The range has a "dime club." To make it easier, a three-shot group whose outside can be covered by a dime qualifies. Obviously, it's harder with a .358 than a 22-250. I'm thinking my 45-70 would be almost impossible, no matter how lucky I am.