MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Need for 2 - 223 Varmint rifles?

Boolit Grand Master

Need for 2 - 223 Varmint rifles?

I have a Remington SPS Varmint that has a 1:12 barrel and shoots a little less than 3/4" at 100 yards with 50-55gr NBT/Varmageddon bullets.

I also have a Stag Model 6 Super Varminter with a 1:8 twist that shoots 1/2" groups with the 50-69gr class of bullets with select loads.

Am I gaining anything by keeping the Remington around? Thinking of selling it as I rarely use it. Benefits is not having to chase brass and potentially having a cast boolit shooter.

I also have a Kimber Varmint in 22-250 that is super accurate and would satisfy any varmint shooter with accuracy and terminal performance.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 11-12-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Boolit Master

its all in what you perceive you need. i have a good handful of AR's, but my bolt .223 isnt going anywhere.

If you spend a hot afternoon at a busy prairie dog or gopher shoot you will need a second or third rifle to help keep the barrels cool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    If you spend a hot afternoon at a busy prairie dog or gopher shoot you will need a second or third rifle to help keep the barrels cool.
    No truer words spoken Taz. I hate to think of the money that I've spent on rebarreling varmint rifles. Two of 'em right now need new barrels before my next trip back home to Wyoming next summer.

I have a Remington SPS Varmint that has a 1:12 barrel and shoots a little less than 3/4" at 100 yards with 50-55gr NBT/Varmageddon bullets.
    A true 3/4 MOA rifle is probably worth hanging onto thinks I. Have you tried the Sierra 52 or 53 grain Match Kings in it? They are my favorite prairie dog bullets. Terminal performance is pretty spectacular even if they are not a frangible bullet by design.

Besides accuracy and effectiveness to at least 300 yards, the 223s have a longer barrel life and thus over the life of a barrel are less expensive to shoot when powder and throat wear are considered.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

I have not tried them Scharf. I will pick up some next time I place a midway order and give them a try. May just hold on to it for now.

Banned

I will second the sierra's.
    my Ruger would have been long gone if it weren't for those 52 grain sierra's.

I third the Sierra 52 gr. Old School and still cool. Keep that 700! Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one just like that and its shot phenomenally with a lot of bullets, but I settled.on the hornady 55 sp and they are both accurate and cheap.

Or you cod rebarrel it
    Last edited by CraigOK; 11-14-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Boolit Master

This thread reminded me that I needed to get busy with the rebarreling project for my worn out barrels in 223. Just ordered a new barrel with a 1 in 8 twist. While not optimum for the lighter bullets, it should be a good compromise between the heavy and light bullets for the 223. I look forward to getting it installed this winter.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 bolt action 223s- but only one heavy barrel. It's a Rem VS (an early one with the HS Precision stock). Two 223s make sense for a PD shoot. I take a Tikka along as a second rifle.

In fact, we had a nice, little PD shoot on Monday and I shot both rifles, the Rem the most, though. I shoot NBT 55 grainers and H335 in all 3 bolt actions.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Running cast in the 700 to practice your offhand shooting sounds like the way to go and keep them both .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

The 223 is a great cartridge abnd does alot withthe correct barrel bullet combo. My ARs are all 1-7 twist barrels and shoot 80grn bullets ( Sierras or JLKs) out to 600 yds very well. A 1-12 should really shine with the 52 -55 grn bullets. While the 2 rifles are the same caliber the diffrent twists make them diffrent rifles suited to diffrent tasks in a way. If your prarrie dog shooting switching rifles can really extend barrel life. ( Ive seen swift barrels go in a weeks shooting if it was a good town) Also having the 2 rifles opens up other possibilities for when one is down for some reason.

My 223 rifles are bolt actions with 1 in 9" twist. This limits how heavy a bullet I can use. Neither rifle likes anything larger than 70 grains.
    They both like 50 grain Vmax and 69 grain match bullets(Nosler and Sierra). One of them likes several other bullets as well but since these 2 loads cover 99% of the shooting I do, I will keep it simple and just use these 2 loads.
    I got lucky in that the chambers appear to be identical on both rifles. I neck size only and the cartridges fit perfectly in both rifles. I even use the same powder charge and OAL in both bullet weights so I don't even need to adjust my dies or powder measure.
    With both loads, the impact point at 200 yards is the same with one rifle and within 1.5 inches with the other one.

Boolit Master

I got lucky in that the chambers appear to be identical on both rifles. I neck size only and the cartridges fit perfectly in both rifles.
    You are indeed lucky Taz.

With several .223 rifles, I just FL size for compatibility and it works out OK.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Third one for sure.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I'll keep them both around. Thanks for talking sense into me.