RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: .40 cal Bulge Buster

.40 cal Bulge Buster

Here are spent cases from my 40 S&W Glock 23 Gen 3.

Do you think I need to purchase the Bulge Buster? Should all Glock 40 S&W be processed by the Buster?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad from Yuma AZ using Tapatalk

The real way to tell is after sizing. I got one anyway just to run range brass through. I found my Lee sizing dies would not get the bulge at the bottom of the case.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    I use a bulge buster on all my 40 brass. It won't drop into a case gauge without it.

Boolit Master
    I use the lee buster on all my 40 brass. Spray hornaday one shot on it first. Any brass too hard to push thru gets trashed. I also use aftermarket barrels on my G22 and G35 so brass lasts longer

Just use it. It's cheap and easy and you'll be amazed how much easier it is to run it through the sizing die afterwards.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I use the lee buster on all my 40 brass. Spray hornaday one shot on it first. Any brass too hard to push thru gets trashed. I also use aftermarket barrels on my G22 and G35 so brass lasts longer
    What barrel do you suggest?

Boolit Master
    My Lone Wolf .40 barrel works fine for me.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

I run them through every time. But they're 10mm and 357 Sig, not 40 S&W. Most of them are pushed through w/ no resistance. But every now and then one will need to be sized. All new to me brass goes through the die. For the minimal cost it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Boolit Grand Master

When I first started loading 40 the first gen. Glocks were new, and their brass was much worse than current Glocks. I had a CB member make a push through LEE die to do the job. I still use it for range brass because there are still some of those first gen. guns in use.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I only use range-pick-up brass in my G22. After de-cap/resize and cleaning I check all my 40 brass by holding the case mouth and inserting the case head end about half way into my Lyman chamber gauge. Any that are tight I bulge-bust and any that have an obvious SMILE I discard. I find that I only have to run about 5% thru the bulge-buster.+1 for Lone Wolf barrels. I have the LW 9MM Conversion barrel for my G22 also. Both barrels are super accurate and both shoot to the same POI.

I only use a bulge buster on Range pick up brass. Post-90's Glocks have better chamber support. So, if that's what your shooting with, or any other "fully-supported" gun or after market barrel , you should only need to resize, if you have full-length resizing die. A bulge buster will bring it "more" into spec but not really improve it functionally. Personally, I've used my bulge buster five times in as many years.
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Boolit Master
    My G22 gen3 has Storm Lake barrels in 9MM and 40SW. My G35 gen4 has a KKM 40SW barrel and a lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. I dont see any advantage between the three.

Quote Originally Posted by rvenneman View Post
    What barrel do you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    I only use range-pick-up brass in my G22. After de-cap/resize and cleaning I check all my 40 brass by holding the case mouth and inserting the case head end about half way into my Lyman chamber gauge. Any that are tight I bulge-bust and any that have an obvious SMILE I discard. I find that I only have to run about 5% thru the bulge-buster.+1 for Lone Wolf barrels. I have the LW 9MM Conversion barrel for my G22 also. Both barrels are super accurate and both shoot to the same POI.
    So you resize/deprime before you run them through the buster?

Boolit Master
    I bust first, it makes sizing easy.

Boolit Master

Yes, I deprime/resize and clean first I only bulge bust those that won't (easily) fit into the chamber gauge and any that have an obvious "smile" I trash. Again I only stick each 40SW case about half way in to the chamber gauge starting with the case head because that's where they bulge.

I'm not worried about my G22 Lone Wolf barrel "glocking" brass but I always have a lot more brass follow me home than I take to the range. I find that I need to bulge bust @ 5% of the range pick-up brass. I never considered it necessary to bulge bust every piece of 40SW brass.