MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: windows 10 and new computer

Moderator Emeritus

windows 10 and new computer

Yesterday, my 3 year old Laptop seemed to give up the ghost.
    I went out this morning and bought a new "All-In-One" style desktop computer.
    I went cheap...It has a slower processor (celeron quad-core with 4G ram) than my laptop(i3).
    I figured my activities online don't need the speed I had, but I've already noticed that it's slow when watching videos...maybe my cable internet was slow when I tried a video...I haven't tried it again yet...OR maybe it's Win10? when I powered up the computer for the first time to set it up, I chose the "expedited setup", so I suppose I have all the data-saving slowdown features of Win10? I suppose I should look into what I can "unactivate" to speed things up.

...and, I should try to fix...urr, um, I mean have my SIL diagnose and fix the laptop, I suspect harddrive failure.

Any helpful comments much appreciated.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Going cheaper means you don't get the faster devices which speed up the interactive experience. Faster disks, more memory, more powerful graphics cards all contribute to the snappy performance we expect. With Windows anything less than 8 gig of ram pretty much won't run. It's a more the merrier sort of situation.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

If it is the hard drive on your laptop, that is an easy swap out fix. The problem then becomes reinstalling all of your software.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

I strongly recommend an SSD hard drive over the regular ones.

Boolit Bub
    RAM should help, run a Crucial scan and get as much as you can afford

Vendor Sponsor

Expedited Setup means to turn ON all the sharing of location, pics, mic, install and run all the bloatware, basically take your files and everything and share them with all the apps and anybody else who happens to be watching.

Need to comb through EVERY section of the settings menu, you have a metric TON of cr@p to turn off!

funny but buying one of those and running everything default like Microsoft wants is the PC equivalent of voting for YOU know WHO!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Win 10 is just a big package of spyware. We have four laptops in the house. Three run Win 7 and one runs Win 8. If and when it gets to the point I can't run any of these Windows OSes I'll migrate to Linux. No Win 10 for me.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    You may want to return it to the store.... if it is slow now, imagine where you'll be in a year or two.

We watch video on a chromebox connected to the TV, works great. Only cost $150.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    If it is the hard drive on your laptop, that is an easy swap out fix. The problem then becomes reinstalling all of your software.
    A PERFECT opportunity to replace the defective drive and load one of the easier to migrate from windows versios of Linux. Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon would be a perfect install to get a windows user better acquainted with a better OS than windows.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

thanks for all the helpful hints and ideas.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    plus one more on the linux. running ubuntu 16 here and no one can beat me to go back to winders!!!

Not big fan of win 10 but the problem is the computer,not the software. Slower than an i3 is slowwwww

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I run Linux now instead of bill gates spyware commonly called "windazed". I don't like people looking in my computer ! My hardware is old & runs just fine! Don't need the latest greatest hardware for Linux!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk