Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bought brass from Norway Customs took it sent me letter saying may face charges

ADMIN

You need to listen.
    Don't get a lawyer, don't do anything.
    They aren't charging you.
    Just don't order brass again from overseas.
    I have dealt with US Customs issues before.
    Your fine.

And for the guy that ordered the bayonet, it's just a knife. You are fine.
    I ordered from Poland bayonets, magazines, gun parts, furniture and other stuff.
    Never any barrels, receivers or ammo components.
    All shipped via us mail. Every order was under $100 so I didn't have to declare anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    Yea, let it go and please dont drag the other people who got lucky down the hole too.
    All that would do is get them to look into it more and thats never a good thing.
    Cut your losses and move on...

If Gunbroker dot com received a fee they should be responsible. That's what ebay would do if you made a purchase and didn't receive the item in question. You had good reason to believe your purchase was legal. I think your issue is with Gunbroker, they created your loss and legal exposure.

Banned

Just do a charge back on paypal. Done and over with. Paypal usually always sides on the buyer side. Unless you did this as a gift then you are SOL!

Boolit Master
    Only a few weeks ago I sent emails to all of the elected officials for the area where I am registered to vote about some new medical regulations that effects me and many thousands if not millions and not one of them took the time to respond, from senators to council members they just don't seem to care about little people like myself. They are the ones who have created this monster of a government regulating nearly every aspect of our lives.

Boolit Master
    Everyone, Contact your congress people and tell them that ITAR needs to be reformed. It is out of control and does very little that is good.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Don't vote for anyone that ignores your letters,e-mails etc. They don't necessarily have to vote the way you want them to but they at least owe you and explanation of why they voted the way they did or why they are doing nothing. We do not hold our elected officials to any standard. They at least owe you an explaination of what they are doing. If no explanation throw the bum out as sson as possible!

Boolit Grand Master

You paid paypal? File a complaint with them immediately to get your money back. Also file a complaint with gunbroker that the seller was overseas and did not identify as such for selling customs ITAR controlled objects. Paypal might come through, dont hold your breath with gunbroker.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Do the restrictions extend to things such as magazines or replacement parts?

Boolit Grand Master

Bought brass from Norway Customs took it sent me letter saying may face charges

Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    Do the restrictions extend to things such as magazines or replacement parts?
    It applies to ORM-D materials. It goes beyond just firearm related items. And ITAR is only part of it. The list is pretty big and ITAR is really confusing.

Boolit Master
    You might also be dealing with decent human beings whom the rules require to send out the same form letter to everyone. I think the chances of facing legal charges are minimal, and so are the chances of getting your brass back. Either way the best thing you can do is to write a letter of bewildered innocence, rather than put their backs up by demanding rights you don't have. Offer any proofs you can of your good record and that the same kind of brass is freely available in the US. Anybody in a similar situation with exclusively civilian components should also mention that.

More than a year ago I imported some 24ga. Magtech cases from the US to the UK, after finding that they were allowed, but rifle and pistol cases weren't. I imagine that the changes for import and export were made at the same time, but it is worth checking up on whether they happened before you made the transaction. If by any chance you find out that they have acted on rules that weren't in place at the time, you have something to argue with. But even then do it politely, acknowledging that the mistake was easily made. That costs you no money.

I had a similar experience. I had a copy of the West Point ordnance textbook for 1938, which I found decades before in the effects of my maternal grandfather a First World War artilleryman. It was an improbably advanced text for him, as he was only a corporal and concerned mainly with the horses. Someone had written my own surname, and only recently I realised that the initial L was actually R. So it was my Uncle Bob in Australia, who had met his Australian wife while a military college instructor in wartime, and went there directly from India when peace broke out. He was still sharp as a needle at 98, and reading every day, always non-fiction.

So I sent it to him from Saudi Arabia, where I was at the time, and the tracking showed it leaving the country and then vanishing from the record. While we were waiting he had a bad stroke and a fall, and died in hospital five days later. Almost his last words were that his book ought to arrive soon. I still wonder if it was impounded as telling people how to make explosives - which of course it did, but it had been pressed into his hands by the King-Emperor, acting through intermediaries, when he was meant to be instructing soldiers in the same. That is what unclear handwriting gets you.

You can understand the basic principle behind restrictions. I can remember the Armalite phase of the troubles in Northern Ireland, when a lot of people were killed with weapons supplied by Irish-American gunrunners, and you probably owe quite a bit of domestic US gun control to them. There are certainly countries from which you wouldn't want undocumented munitions entering the US. It is neither the case, nor reasonable, that you could get out of drug smuggling charges on the basis that only some mysterious Columbian was guilty of sending a package. But it is in the nature of regulations not to make fine distinctions.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 11-09-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Boolit Master

You might also be dealing with decent human beings whom the rules require to send out the same form letter to everyone. I think the chances of facing legal charges are minimal, and so are the chances of getting your brass back.
    That seems more likely to me. Customs probably deals with little stuff like this every day.

I expect that they have bigger fish to fry and if they tried to go after everyone who accidentally broke a rule out of ignorance on something so minor as a handful of empty cases, they would never have time to go after real criminals.

Honestly if it were me I wouldn't respond at all, unless by some extremely unlikely chance they contacted you again. It was an innocent mistake, and easily explained as such. I suppose it would be wise to gather any documentation and explanations you might have in your defense to keep on file just in case, but I can't imagine you'd ever need it.
    Last edited by fatelk; 11-09-2016 at 02:49 PM.