Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Undersized boolits test?

Boolit Buddy

Undersized boolits test?

Hey just a thought, has anyone done a test with well undersized and PCd boolits to check how well it protects against leading in extreme cases?

Vendor Sponsor

That would likely be a waste of time since information you learned would be less valuable than what you learned from having a *proper* fitment, since the bottom line is this: Fitment is KING.

Undersized boolits are the chief cause of leading since they provide a poor seal in the bore against gases escaping along the sides of the boolit. If you had an undersized boolit that was PC'd to form a tight seal in the bore, this would be a different animal altogether, and is what I would call proper fitment, but the question you are asking sounds like you are asking about boolits so undersized that even the PC doesn't form a tight seal in the bore.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

you go right ahead and try then report how it worked, I really don't care to spend the time deleading my gun from a bad fit.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok then you guys didnt need to respond. I'm trying to find out how tough the pc is, if that would stop leading if the size was horrible. Exactly.

I intend to if no one has done it before. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's thought of it.

Boolit Master

Might not lead but accuracy will be poor, guaranteed.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Leading isn't too bad but no accuracy. Oh, alloy was > 35 BHN.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Ah... yeah I don't care about accuracy I just want to make sure leading is minimal. Just want to see how it holds up 'worst case' kinda thing. Thanks guys. (And it would be soft alloy, 18-19 BHN COWW)

Boolit Master

I'll expand on my earlier post: I inadvertently used the wrong sizing die for some PC'd 311041PB CB's and sized them to .308" and loaded them for my Marlin 336's in 30-30. No leading but key-holing and scatter-gun groups at 100 yards. I did the same SNAFU earlier with PC'd CB's for my 40S&W loads. Same thing, no leading but key-holing at 10 yards with groups the size of a barn door. Pay attention and measure before sizing a large batch.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Hahahah yes, that's for sure. So do you know how fast they were being pushed? gas check? what brand powder? that's exactly the info I was looking for.

Boolit Bub
    ive shot some bullets that were a few thou too small and I got a minute amount of leading and the group opened up about an inch at 10 yds. the accuracy is horrible considering that with my j bullet reloads I can put 10 rounds in one jagged hole at 10 yds offhand.

Boolit Master
    Assuming the powder coat is applied correctly the leading should be non-existent. I'm not sure what the he text would prove.

If if you do the test and get leading my first assumption would be that the powder coat was not properly done.

Boolit Buddy
    Thats the whole idea was to see if the coat was good if it would be strong enough to protect from leading in a worst case.

Friction wears the PC off, I assume there will be some gas cutting as well - it's not a Cu jacket. HiTek is the same. Size properly or clean the barrel, your choice.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigolsmokebomb View Post
    ive shot some bullets that were a few thou too small and I got a minute amount of leading and the group opened up about an inch at 10 yds. the accuracy is horrible considering that with my j bullet reloads I can put 10 rounds in one jagged hole at 10 yds offhand.
    I to can put lead boolit in one hole it is the second shot that messes me up every time.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    If friction wears the PC off then you'd be better off with undersized bullets...