Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Converting a Mauser to 44 Mag

Converting a Mauser to 44 Mag

Looking in the LGS yesterday and found a 18" barrel screwed to fit a Spanish 95 and chambered for 44Mag. I just happen to have a spare action in the workshop. Magazine may be a problem, Desert Eagle perhaps?

The profile is the same shape as these: http://www.troupsystems.com/MAUSER/m...onversions.htm
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Sounds like a neat project. I'd think the DE mags might be your best/easiest option. I converted a sporterized 1891 Mauser to .44x1.8" rimless based off of 30-06 cases and used the original mag body. It needed a little feed ramp built into the mag in order to lift the noses up so they'd feed.

Boolit Master
    M1 carbine mags will work for 44 Mag and are likely cheaper, but you do have to modify them a bit. You could also try the Ruger 44 Mag rotary mags for a more classic look!

Boolit Master
    Made a 45 ACP rifle from a old 98K that was real rough about 15 years back. Sawed the action and bolt and TIG welded so they were short. Used a regular 45 mag. Worked well, a friends young daughter killed a deer with the rifle in the hill country of Texas. A guy saw the 45 ACP rifle at our gun range and purchased the rifle. A few years later he was killed at the age of 71 while ridding his Harley.
    Newer found out who ended with the 45 ACP rifle.

Boolit Master

Been several years but I saw a project on the net. The builder converted a Mauser to 44 auto mag. Been to many years and I just can't recall what kind of mag he used. Best I recall the project wasn't complete.

I saw one in a gun smithing book by TL Bish back in the day and he used a 788 .44 mag magazine. Like I said; back in the day!

Search for 45 ACP conversions on this board - it will show Mauser (Rhineland) and Enfield (Special Interest Arms) conversion and give you an idea how to use Desert Eagle mag's.
    I'd skip the Ruger mag's as 1) complaints about OAL allowed in Ruger mag's 2) pickup and feed of cast boolits complaints - all on factory Ruger Rifles.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I built a Turkish mauser in .45 colt several years ago. I used a 44 mag Desert Eagle magazine and made a block insert for the magazine. I was still working in a machine shop running a Fadal so that was not a real issue.
    Getting it to feed was a bastard. I sold it as an unfinished project and gave up.

Not much help I know BUT, just be ready to tinker with it if you want flawless feeding and ejection.

Here's a pic of the feed ramp I added to the (rimless 44x1.8") 1891 mauser which uses a removable magazine. Perhaps you could add one just forward of the DE magazine to get the bullets to feed a little better. I also had to trim back the feed lips so they would let go of the cartridge base and let it chamber v/s holding onto it and having the cartridge jam base down. With spacing that issue might not crop up with the DE mags.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 10-30-2016 at 07:00 PM.

It just came to mind that a Savage/Stevens 30-30 or .410 magazine might be modded to work. Things that make you go hmm. Best, Thomas.