Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Green Dot in .44 Special

Boolit Buddy

Green Dot in .44 Special

It seems that Green Dot data for the .44 special is rare as hen's teeth. I am wondering if anyone has used this powder in the .44 to achieve 900 FPS velocities. I will shoot the loads out of a Ruger New Model Blackhawk and will be using a Saeco 240 grn RNFP and an RCBS 250 grn SWC. I'd appreciate whatever advice and help you can offer.

Boolit Master
    I'm looking at a Hercules powder pamphlet dated Feb 1, 1976. Green Dot load for 44 Spl 246 gr lead is 6.0 gr for 840 fps, no pressure listed.

In their 1992 pamphlet they show a 5.0/785/11,900cup.

Being as you are shooting a Blackhawk, I suspect you could bump the charge a bit. If it were me, I would want to use a chrono and advance slowly. And then, make sure I mark the ammo 'Blackhawk only', so that it does not find it's way into a vintage Colt or some such.

As much as I like GD for handgun loads, I think I would use a slower powder to get where you want to go, but that's me.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Banned

5.3 is about as far as you can go in the 45 acp and I have always treated the 44 special like a 45 acp load wise just with another 10grs of boolit weight.
    the newer black hawks have a little more wiggle room than the 45 acp.
    so I'd consider 6 about the very top end.

like Corky I'd just move along to unique and have the ability to go another grain higher.
    which is exactly what I done in mine.

Boolit Buddy
    Speer #11 lists their 240gr SWC with 5.2gr (687fps) to 5.7gr (763fps) of Green Dot.
    Test firearm was a 4" charter Arms Bulldog.
    Benny

Boolit Buddy
    The Speer #11 also lists Green Dot in the 44mag with their 240gr SWC.
    From a 10" Dan Wesson they show 6.0gr (820fps) to 7.0gr (917fps).
    Benny

Vendor Sponsor

I tested Green Dot in my 45 Schofield converted New Model Vaquero with several 240gr ~ 255gr boolits and was getting sooty cases at 6.0gr with velocities running in the 775 - 825fps average.

Often when you find there is a void of data for a certain caliber or boolit and powder combo, it is because it isn't recommended for whatever reason. I am thinking that Green Dot runs up against the pressure ceiling rather quickly and is just not a good performer in the present configuration, and if you push it until it does perform satisfactorily, pressures will be more than desirable.

I got much better results with Unique and HS6.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. I've been using Universal, Unique, and Blue Dot, but have a lb of Green Dot that I thought I might use. I think I will save the Green Dot for the .38 special full wadcutter loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    An email to Alliant will normally get a response in 24 hrs.

Don Verna

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Traddles View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I've been using Universal, Unique, and Blue Dot, but have a lb of Green Dot that I thought I might use. I think I will save the Green Dot for the .38 special full wadcutter loads.
    In my 45 Schofield, Green Dot got the best results with the Lee 255gr RF boolit, which sits very low in the case compared to the 454190 and the 453423 boolits so it may favor a deep seated boolit.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-26-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (1973 edition) lists 4.5 to 6.5 grains with a 215gr cast. I loaded it for my Colt New Frontier SAA and it shot OK, but I prefer my present load of SR4756.

A link to the last of the "good" alliant reloading manuals that show tons of data, shows bbl lengths, oal's & pressures for the max loads.
    http://castpics.net/LoadData/Freebie...liant_2005.pdf

Moderator Emeritus

Back when we were hosted by Shooters Shuz posted an accuracy load from the factory rep with Green Dot and the 44 Mag. It is very effective in the 44 bore size but may need more pressure than the Special is able to handle. i like red dot in the Mag as any easy load but never had great results down loading it to the special.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow. I am somewhat flabbergasted to read that Red Dot did not work well in the 44 Special for somebody. I have had nothing but excellent results with the 429-421, the NOE 434-230 WC and the 429-383. 5.0 to 5.6 grains of Red Dot under these boolits have been uniformly excellent in my Flat Top. Indeed, the 5.0 grain load under the 230 WC is a favorite of mine. Red Dot and Unique are my go to powders in this cartridge.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

How does Green dot meter? Is it similar to Blue dot in size/shape?
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Bub
    I have three pounds of Green Dot sitting on the shelf... at least one of them bore the "Hercules" name on the original container. Back then the store I worked for routinely weighed up a pound at a time and put them in plastic bottles. This particular bottle has my handwriting on the label. Well, it was a different time and a different world we were living in.

After fairly extensive research, I slowly worked up to a 6.5 grain load with this... which is certainly a borderline "+P" load that should approximate the so-called "Skeeter Load". Having three pounds of Green Dot and with no Unique to be found anywhere, this seemed like a logical solution.

I am shooting a Lipsey/Ruger Flattop .44 Special with a 5.5" barrel, which is able to handle some pretty heavy "shaking hands with God" loads. I have no chronograph, but I would guestimate my velocity with the 255 grain Keith bullet at right around 1000 FPS. The load shoots to point of aim with my other loads, which is great as my Bowen Rough Country sight is regulated around them.

My first impression of the load is that it is accurate enough, given my old eyes, and powerful enough to handle anything I am likely to encounter in the woods around my place... certainly good enough for recycled milk jugs. As I sort of "invented" it, I am going to call it the "Raby Load" just 'cause I CAN. Others may call it something else. We'll see.

This load worked in MY gun with My reloading equipment and techniques. Your mileage may vary. NOT for Charter Arms Bulldogs, S&W Triple Locks or other fragile antiques.

Boolit Bub
    Upon further experimentation, I have dropped my powder charge a half grain to 6 grains of Green Dot. The Starline brass seemed to be holding up well enough, but the Winchester brass started to bulge a bit near the base. Recoil with the 6 grain charge was easier, as expected, and the strike of the round was not significantly different... except that the group size was possibly a bit better... due in no small part to reduced recoil.

Stay tuned.