RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: building a blind for hunting

building a blind for hunting

I'm in the process of helping my cousin's son build a folding blind

we start w/ a 50" x 16' hog wire panel ( $22.00 @ Tractor Supply ), measured & rough cut w/ the bolt cutters, then cut & ground the sharp edges smooth, and attached the panels together w/ split rings for keys to allow you to "Z"- fold the blind

it took me two days to hand sew the 420D urethane coated fabric to the frame, I have had a 10 yard roll laying around for about 15 years and figured its time to put it to good use

with this setup you can easily attach corn stalks and other natural materials or hang grass mats to the outside and a flap is left at the top, I will sew it to allow a draw string/cord to help reduce the light intrusion from above

and I have a old garden hose that will be cut & attached w/ zip ties to the bottom edge of the panels to protect the fabric from abrasion

hope this gives someone the incentive to go ahead & build their own

Boolit Master
    I have two "Texas Specials" portables manufactured by Lucky's Tent Blinds in Ubly, Michigan. I prefer full coverage in a ground blind......for those not so nice days, afield.

http://www.luckyshuntingblinds.com/Bow-Blinds-for-Sale-Ubly-MI.html

Winelover

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    wow, do you have the stove & coffee pot in there w/ a recliner ?

that is luxury livin in the woods

in Kaliforina that is called a "Dingbat", basically a apartment over a garage, and it looks like you have a garage for the fourwheeler

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    wow, do you have the stove & coffee pot in there w/ a recliner ?

that is luxury livin in the woods

in Kaliforina that is called a "Dingbat", basically a apartment over a garage, and it looks like you have a garage for the fourwheeler
    just curious, wouldn't the scent of the exhaust give that away? or do they get used to the smell?
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Big Dog I do have a coffee pot. Gas fired. A bunk but no recliner. I use a desk chair. I doubt if they associate the smell of coffee with danger. Some mornings you can smell bacon frying from the settlement below. Guess if I was close enough I could smell coffee there also? lol

Moderator Emeritus

One fellow I know built a real Cadillac stand. Had a literal recliner in it, a coffee pot, and even a latrine that ran into a hose and down into a pit below ground. Don't know how many deer he's let slip by as he napped, but he's happy with it. There's something to be said for just being out, alone, in the crisp fall air, amid all the peace and quiet, and still being totally comfortable. It's a different way to hunt, to be sure, but he's very happy with it, and loves his Cadillac stand.

I had a idea. Put it wire side out and use some burlap strips Ghillie suit style. I'll bet ya it makes it blend in real nicely.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Head. If that lady in the picture go's with you I doubt you would know if a deer was anywhere near or not ? Or are you the lady in the picture ? Is she wearing a collar ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    Boolit Head. If that lady in the picture go's with you I doubt you would know if a deer was anywhere near or not ? Or are you the lady in the picture ? Is she wearing a collar ?
    If she went hunting with me the sounds of her slapping me across the face would drive off anything around!
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    I had a idea. Put it wire side out and use some burlap strips Ghillie suit style. I'll bet ya it makes it blend in real nicely.
    the wire side is supposed to be facing out, that way it is easy to attach natural materials to help camouflage the blind

you need to create various shadows and edges that flutter in the breeze