Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Big lube bullets Snakebite in 357 mag

Boolit Man

Big lube bullets Snakebite in 357 mag

I bought about 300 rounds of the snakebite bullets. I loaded some dummy rounds in 38 special cases to try cycling in the Rossi.
    They worked great. I tried loading some dummy rounds in 357 mag cases. I wish I can use the crimp groves but can't because it will be too long. I set it back till it can rotate in the single action pistols. These still did cycle in the Rossi. This is longer than 357 spec for oal but I plan on loading blackpowder and want as much space for powder as possible. What is your OAL with this bullet for 357 mag cases? I can just use the 38 cases and make sure to clean the chambers good but prefer using 357 mag cases.

Boolit Master

I use the same setup exactly - my cartridges are 1.64" OAL in Starline .357 brass. I have the Snakebite mold and use it with 25 grains of Swiss 3F in my Rossi 92 for pistol cartridge lever gun silhouette. Cycles great and has enough oomph to reliably knock down rams.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    I use the same setup exactly - my cartridges are 1.64" OAL in Starline .357 brass. I have the Snakebite mold and use it with 25 grains of Swiss 3F in my Rossi 92 for pistol cartridge lever gun silhouette. Cycles great and has enough oomph to reliably knock down rams.
    I plan on close to what your numbers are. I did some 1.64 but am going to shoot for 1.63. I am going to load 50 rounds next week to try out in the single actions. As soon as I get my loading gate issue resolved on the Rossi(round getting behind the gate) I will be shooting BP in it. I bought 300 snakebites lubed up. If they shoot good I am going to buy the mold and cast my own.

Boolit Master

why do they call it a snakebite bullet. I notice really large lube groves.

Boolit Master

As I recall, the "snakebite greasewagon" bullet was designed by a cowboy action shooter with the handle snakebite. It was designed expressly for shooting black powder, hence the large lube groove. The design also works wonderfully with smokeless btw...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro