WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first mould for 44 mag

Looking for my first mould for 44 mag

Hello, first time poster but been lurking around for quite a while. I am just shopping for equipment at the moment, don't even have a pot to smelt in yet, but I am looking for a decent .430 drop mould for my 44 mag rifle and handguns. I like heavy bullets and boolits too, but I've only loaded lead hard cast up to this point from commercial manufacturers. I am open to suggestions on good moulds, been looking at Lee because there so cheap! But I don't want to waste money on poor quality, so if a certain mold is worth a lot let me know. Probably looking for 250 grain and up, and I love me a big meplat for hunting. Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie...

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

I haven't been casting to long, but my first mold was the Lee TL430-240 SWC. Love to load and shoot that one. My Ruger SRH shoots it very nicely. I found it to be a nice mold to learn casting with and with the Lee alox tumble lube, easy to start loading. Have not tried pc on it though. Maybe the next time I get some cast I will give it a try. For the price it is hard to beat.

Just in case you ever aget interested in a ACCURATE bullet, remember this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/764...ette-gas-check
    --------
    SISU

Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Just in case you ever aget interested in a ACCURATE bullet, remember this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/764...ette-gas-check
    That is a good looking mold. I was going to avoid gas checks for my first mold, but I may reconsider. How close to 240gr does it drop? BTW I am going to be buying alloy from rotometals or somewhere like that until I can get a coww supply chain established, so I should know what I'm getting to begin with...

Boolit Master
    Lyman 429421, or copy from Accurate, Noe, RCBS, if you prefer a flat point I'd check out LBT.........The Lyman and RCBS will be steel or Iron, the others are a good quality aluminum mold.

Would the mold material matter that much in this class of projectile? It seems to me that aluminum would be less desirable as the cavity size increases, or as the quantity number increases due to quickly cooling after a drop. Is that an issue for 44 two cavity molds?

Boolit Grand Master

I do not believe mould material is as important as the size of the blocks.
    NOE 3 and 4 cavity aluminum blocks are huge compared to Lee 2 cavity. I have no trouble with the NOE's loosing heat . My problem, with both aluminum and steel/iron , is I go too fast and they overheat . With 2 cavity steel moulds I have used two , filling one while the other cools. I haven't had a problem with NOE's aluminum blocks loosing or gaining heat , a steady pace and they hold the correct temperature .
    I actually prefer the large blocked 3 and 4 cavity NOE aluminum moulds. Louisiana having a lot of heat and humidity promotes rusting...I don't worry about the aluminum blocks. Another plus is "pile size" it's amazing how fast the pile gets with more than 2 cavities dumping out boolits.
    The next question will be are they worth the extra $$$$$...well I'm a tightwad Cajun who loath's to part with a dime, I pick up pennies , and the truth is they are SWEET and worth it...just make sure it's a design you want. Lee's can be bought to "try" , they don't hurt the pocket to much at $22.00.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-11-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I really like my Mihec and Accurate moulds in brass. Iron and brass are my two favourite mould materials but I have NOE aluminum as well and all cast well.

If I have to I use a wet cloth to set a hot mould on to keep it at reasonable casting temperature.

I do not believe you will see a noiticeable diameter change due to mould material heating and cooling too fast. Certainly not in my experience. More likely you will get poor fill out if the mould cools too quickly but a steady casting cadence will prevent that from happening.

Check out the Accurate Mold site as not only does Tom have a good selection of designs now, he will make whatever you want.

I am quite partial to my Mihec 434640 which is a clone of the Lyman 429640 but fatter. It has a nice meplat in solid and weighs 270 grs. It also has the option of hollow points. Great mould that casts right to spec at 0.434" for my fat bored Marlin. Not sure if Mihec has any in stock or not. The Lyman 429640 should also work for you and they are readily available. Lyman moulds do have a reputation of casting small especially if you are not using Lyman #2 alloy.

Actually there are a lot of choices out there. I am just partial to the ones I bought. I have three .44 moulds from Mihec (H&G #503 ~ on two cavity brass Cramer and one 6 cavity aluminum ~ and brass Cramer 434640), one from Accurate (#43-165B), one Lee 265 gr. Ranchdog style and and a Lyman 429421 which casts exactly 0.429" with wheelweights so too small for me.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by adcoch1 View Post
    That is a good looking mold. I was going to avoid gas checks for my first mold, but I may reconsider. How close to 240gr does it drop? BTW I am going to be buying alloy from rotometals or somewhere like that until I can get a coww supply chain established, so I should know what I'm getting to begin with...
    You can shoot these without a gas check! Like any other GC design. I would start with a mildish load and if the accuracy is there, start kicking the bullet harder and harder. You should get good accuracy and a load that feels like a .44 Mag even with out the check.

How close to 240gr does it drop? Close enough.. If I recall correctly 247 gr (COWW+Check+lube)..
    --------
    SISU

Boolit Master
    I firmly believe that every 44 owner that reloads has, or has had, a Lyman 429421 in one form or another and, despite other makers, most will still have at least a single cavity version of the 429421 in there collection of molds.

I currently have Four 44 caliber molds, one of them is a 4 cavity 429421 as it is a great general purpose mold and an all around performer for most chores.

Unique is an excellent powder to match this design, no matter if your loading Specials or Magnums, and will provide comfortable loads for you to shoot.

Should you wish to push the power band to the higher levels WW 296 is the powder of choice and is better than 2400 because it burns a whole lot cleaner!

Start with a 429421 and be happy!

HM

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    I firmly believe that every 44 owner that reloads has, or has had, a Lyman 429421 in one form or another and, despite other makers, most will still have at least a single cavity version of the 429421 in there collection of molds.

I currently have Four 44 caliber molds, one of them is a 4 cavity 429421 as it is a great general purpose mold and an all around performer for most chores.

Unique is an excellent powder to match this design, no matter if your loading Specials or Magnums, and will provide comfortable loads for you to shoot.

Should you wish to push the power band to the higher levels WW 296 is the powder of choice and is better than 2400 because it burns a whole lot cleaner!

Start with a 429421 and be happy!

HM

It is about as good as it gets, for the .44.

It has been my .44 bullet for...well, let's just say, a long time.

Sounds good guys. Looks like I will start with a 429421. Now to figure out if a bottom pour pot is the way to go.... But that's another thread!

The Lee TL430-240 SWC is nice casting and a good profile for tubular magazine of a rifle. Flat nose won't recoil impact the primers of the next one in line like a round nose can. For the price they are a good deal. Have not used the Lee 6 cavity but was told that they are better quality than the 2 cavity and also a good deal.

Tumble lubed with 45/45/10 is good solution and they also PC well. Plain base and tumble lube from a $20 mold is about as cost saving as you can get for reloading with cast.

I like the NOE molds and find the 4 cavity or 3 cavity are a nice size. Productive yet not too heavy despite having a bit more block than Lee. Cost more than the Lee but seem to be higher quality for the extra money. Enough quality that they are also a good value just at a different price/quality point.

I find a hot plate to pre-heat the mold makes a big difference in how easy it is to get it started casting, but a lot of people just dip a corner of mold in the melt or cast the first few and dump them back in, just using them to heat the mold.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Perma-Banned

Go ahead and get the bottom pour...you will never regret it.

Definitely getting a hot plate to pre warm the molds no matter which one I get, and tumble lube would be preferable to start. I will start powder coating soon, but I want to get lead management figured out first, and casting 44s just makes sense to me. 30 cal will come next and 9mm makarov once I have PC figured out, but I have to start somewhere and I already load hard cast in the 44.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Go ahead and get the bottom pour...you will never regret it.
    So which one? Lee is super cheap, rcbs has a great reputation, and everything else is SO expensive...... I think the chinsy temp control on the lee might drive me crazy, and the wife is already asking questions about "needs" vs wants, so I gotta make some good decisions right outta the gate. Appreciate the input though, I figured that's what I'd hear...

Perma-Banned

All that I will say on this is, get whichever you want. I have only ever used a LEE and have cast a LARGE PILE of bullets with it. It might be worth starting with it...just to see if you are going to continue casting. If you know for sure that you will keep casting...consider the Lyman Mag 25...it comes with a digital temp control that works as a PID. The Mag 25 goes for around $250.

With that said, folks that have the RCBS, seem to love it...but I will never pay what they want for one.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 10-12-2016 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks for the advice. Most who use the lee think its OK to usable, and very few others who use other brands would try a lee from what I hear. Some of it has to be brand snobbery, but it can't all be since some of these pots cost 10 times what the lee does. Well that's how it is with hobbies, sure is cheaper than fast cars nowadays...

Boolit Master
    Forget the hot plate and save the money for an RCBS Mag Pro 20 bottom pour furnace. I place my moulds on the lip of the furnace to preheat them whilst I wait for the alloy to melt. I've used may types and brands of bottom pour furnaces over the past 50 years and I only bought my first Mag Pro 20 about 3 years ago and wished I had gone that route years ago.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    As to your original question, I'd go for a Lyman 429421. I've used this design with great success in ease of casting and accuracy on targets for over 50 years. I still have over 20 different 44 moulds that I've collected and used down thru the years, and many that I "sent down the road" for various reasons, and I keep returning to my 429421 in HP version, outta my 4C Lyman.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!