Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .351 wsl

Banned

.351 wsl

A few years ago, Kansas started a two-day antlerless season which they now call the pre-rut antlerless season. For the past several years, I always had a work commitment pretty much every weekend of September and early October, so never really got to partake (it also has screwed up my muzzle loader season, but it was way too hot and buggy this year anyway). This year I got to get out and successfully use a 1907 Winchester and some cast loads. I need to work with this one more, but the old rifle worked fine.

Nice!

Now that's cool!

Perma-Banned

Nice!

Good eatin', right there!

My friend has the same rifle.

Cast Hunter

Well done! Very interesting rifle.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Nice. I know where there is a .401 for sale locally but need another project like a hole in the head. Also hate chasing brass especially rare brass.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Banned
    very nice!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Someone forgot to tell that deer that the .351 is not powerful enough to kill a him. I get tired of listening to people talk down about this rifle and cartridge. Was it hard to track down a scope base for yours? Mine is drilled and tapped but had no base.

Banned

This one actually came to me with the scope base attached, so I don't really know. Seems like a base that would fit any flat top receiver would work.

If I get serious about this rifle, I will have to get some of those off set rings that allow it to be moved forward, the eye relief with this set up is way too far back.

Boolit Master

Richhodg66, can you move the turrets of the scope in front of the front scope ring?

Or use a weaver extension set of rings

Mike
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 02-25-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: deleted ebay link
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Vendor Sponsor
    Looks like if you do as Skeettx suggests that you run out of scope on the rear ring. I had this problem with a Marlin once. You can take a bastard file and very carefully using the edge of the file cut a groove across the top of the base to make clearance for the ring mounting screw. This will allow re positioning of the rear ring a bit forward. Or look for a piccitinny style base that offers lots of grooves.

I love the look of an older weaver scope on the vintage rifles but sometimes the placement of the turret makes mounting one problematic.

Boolit Grand Master
    congrats on the deer should be fine table fare
    nice rifle never seen one like it before
    the cartridge either what is it like a 357 max?
    woefully under powered I see.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

Both dropped where they stood, but were very close range and from a high tree stand, so both shots impacted spine even if they didn't break it. I almost chose to bring one of my slug guns or a handgun out that morning and any of them would have been adequate given the conditions, but a 180 grain bullet at 1700 FPS+ isn't too far behind the .35 Remington.

For anybody interested, I used the old (real old) Ideal 350293 mold designed for the .35 WSL, which is plain based, but I got some soda can plain base gas checks and sized with a .352 die Buckshot made for me a few years ago. The recommended best powder was 4227, but I didn't have any so used 2400. The bullet was cast of 50/50 WW/pure with 2% tin. Since I loaded these, I picked up a 350447 which is a light bullet designed for the .348 Winchester which I think might work better, haven't cast any with it yet.

The rear scope ring isn't the problem, the front one is. Seems I have some of those extension rings around somewhere, I actually got them for a Marlin with a similar problem but was thinking of going peep sights on it anyway, so maybe they'll get used on this one.
    Last edited by richhodg66; 10-10-2016 at 06:19 PM.

I love seeing an old unusual rifle like yours being used to fill the freezer. So many of those 351 & 401's are just safe queens. They were ahead of their time and under appreciated IMO. Wish I had a .401, the search for the brass would be the beginning of the fun! Congrats!

Banned

I think Grumpa makes the brass. After that, any cast bullet for the .41 magnum would work, in a lot of respects, it would be easier to load and shoot for than the .351.

Boolit Grand Master

Cool rifle, nice fat does. Nicely done, congrats!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I'll bet that ole piece of deer huntin history could talk it would be doing the . Well, you got some venison viddles. Very nice. What's the ballistics compared to the 357 maximum, is it super dooper.lol One thing I noticed was the sling needs to be put in a water puddle for a day then cleaned or dried then oiled up real good to give it that matching vintage look or get an old 1" army sling off of fleabay. Something like plaid shirt and striped pants, ah don't pay no attention to those thoughts.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Nice! Now you've got me thinking about taking out the '10 in 401 wsl this year!

Boolit Master
    That Winchester reminds me strongly of a BAR, are they related in design? It's an attractive rifle either way.

Banned

These are straight blow back, so no similarity to the BAR, they do look a bit similar. If you ever pick one up, you'll see how heavy a straight blowback design has to be to handle anything reasonably powerful