WidenersLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 x 57

8 x 57

Any 8 X 57 shooters that regularly shoot one got any advice to share to a new 8 X 57 owner. I have read nothing but good about them but nothing on loads or what cast boolit to use. I plan for this to be my second rifle that will be mainly cast boolit fed.

Boolit Master

Get a form and trim die from RCBS. You can convert 30-06 and 270 brass into 8x57 mauser brass with that die. Lee's mold worked well enough to get started. Or this one http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...bn8b7hk61vktv2 if you are so inclined. Lyman makes a good one too https://www.midwayusa.com/product/75...nose-gas-check. Get a gas check maker from Freechex or Patmarlins. 8mm gas check can get expensive and you buy one box and you are half way to a check maker. H4895, 3031, 4227 or 4198 all good powders to play with cast. Get a lyman cast handbook if you haven't and go from there. Hope that helps. My M48 mauser shoot dead on at 100 yards with cast boolits. I love the thing. Good luck. PM me if you need any help.

Boolit Master

If you ever load jacketed bullets, try IMR 4064 for powder. Always gave top velocity and accuracy out of my 8mm's.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    " Get a gas check maker from Freechex or Patmarlins."

I think Charlie is out of business, you may find a used FC III to make 8 mm gas checks ? ?

Ben

Boolit Master

It's a very good cartridge with both cast and jacketed bullets.

I think that your success will depend on your rifle's condition, particularly its bore.

Many shooters complain about the sights on the military Mausers; but if your eyes are good, they work as well or better than other classic barrel mounted sights.

Describe and post a photo of your rifle.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

It's still in parts k98 action and barrel Lyman 57 sight synthetic stock. The barrel had the steps cut off leaving just the front sight so I decided on the Lyman 57. I just cleaned up the action checked the locking lugs for contact and I am drilling the action to tap and mount the sight. Then I'll mount and check head space. Fire a few see how good the barrel is, it looks nice I need to slug it a few more times to measure, it's a work in progress. I'll take some photos when I get it set up to drill and tap.

Boolit Master
    I cant see paying for a RCBS forming die. I have never had issues just stuffing 270, 30-06 etc thru a conventional sizing die.

Banned

I shoot 8mm regularly, I like a few of NOE's mould designs, the 326365 is my favorite.

I have copper gc's for 8mm for sale cheap enough.

$26 per 1,000
    $14, per 500

plus shipping. (about $7 for up to 5,000 or so....whatever fits in a SFRB)

see my sig line how to get them from me.
    they are Gator brand GC's.

Boolit Master

Mauser Sights

The barrel had the steps cut off leaving just the front sight so I decided on the Lyman 57.
    Excellent choice in a rear sight. The aperture sight on this Model 98 in 35 Whelen makes quick work of shooting it accurately.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mauser 35 Whelen 02 800-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I can't wait you get my Lyman 57 mounted on my 24/47! Hope it shoots as good as my 48 with 2.5 Leopold scout scope. Gonna check out the NOE 326365 next. I have a couple of Accurate molds I am working right now, a 205 grain gc fn(bore rider) and a 175 pb fn. I really enjoy shoouting my Yugos. Hope to bag a couple of whitetails this fall.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My 8 x 57 is a 1905 Danzig GEW98. I don't shoot full power loads out of it but I do have a lot of fun using a 130 ish grain FN lead boolit out of it that I cast in a NOE mold that was part of a group buy. I load it over 8 grains of Red Dot. I size the boolit to .323 and tumble lube them in aloxx/paste wax. At 50 yards they shoot very well. A fun cat sneeze load.

I have used both commercial 8 X 57 casings as well as resized 30-06 - both work very well for me.

I have a 98 in 8x57 with a lyman sight on it too. My rifle has an uncut 24 inch barrel and looks pretty new inside. Made in Czechoslovakia in 44. It was arsenal repaired during the last days of the war. I put a new wood stock on it and it shoots very well with the lee 180 grain RN over 10 grains of red dot. I also shoot the 8mmKAR boolit from Lee at about 1850 fps. It is a really long flat nose designed for worn throats but it shoots really well in my rifle and it is what I have used for a few deer now.

I love the 8x57 with jacketed bullets too. I have used the Hornaday 170 grain RN and it really hits deer hard inside of 150 yards. I have taken one moose with the sierra 220 grain game king. At 75 yards it went completely through and the moose went 25 yards flop! In classic moose style!

Boolit Bub
    8mm is my favorite, I have owned a few. I have settled with a Yugo 48 that was a gift from my wife. It was virtually in "Un-fired" condition. Shot a nice bear with it last year too. As for loads, anything for the 30-06 will do in the 8mm. My favorite target load is the Lee 324 over a CCI 200 primer and 18gr. 2400. SUb MOA at a hundred if the stars align - 1" groups all day if I do my part. Hunting loads: LEE 2 Cavity Mold C329-205-1R 205 sized to .325 over 40 grains of IMR 4350. Another great one is the Lee FN mold dropping a 225gr. bullet (forget the tech name) over 30 grains of IMR 4350. The latter two are also great with the 2400 powder for plinking. All are gas checked and lubed with my own mix. I have recently begun testing all these rounds without gas checks and used coffee grounds as a filler. So far the loads can be driven with the 4350 and no leading (I only use Lyman#2, no time for experimenting much beyond that). I also use Remington/Prvi/Winchester brass but prefer the Rem. for CB loads. Hope this helps and have fun!

Let Your mercy, O LORD, be upon us, Just as we hope in You.
    (Psa 33:22)
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” -John Adams

Boolit Buddy
    I've got several 8x57 around here. All are good to excellent shooters , as per bore condition. My go to load across the spectrum is 20.5gr.AA5744 , #323481 Lyman ACWW , whatever brass and primers I've got....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    If you ever load jacketed bullets, try IMR 4064 for powder. Always gave top velocity and accuracy out of my 8mm's.
    You are spot on with the imr 4064, mine likes 175gr pro hunters and I am working up a load of Hornaday 198gr match, someday I will get my casting stuff together and run cast in my mauser

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    but I do have a lot of fun using a 130 ish grain FN lead boolit out of it that I cast in a NOE mold that was part of a group buy. I load it over 8 grains of Red Dot. I size the boolit to .323 and tumble lube them in aloxx/paste wax. At 50 yards they shoot very well.
    This gave me a big fat smile ! I didn't think that little pet idea would ever come to fruition,,,,,,.

The Lee 175 is a great place to start. Between NOE and Accurate there are some really good choices depending on what you want to do.
    Last edited by Hamish; 10-14-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    You are spot on with the imr 4064, mine likes 175gr pro hunters and I am working up a load of Hornaday 198gr match, someday I will get my casting stuff together and run cast in my mauser
    175 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter was also my favorite jacketed bullet in 8mm. Used it on many deer with great results.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    175 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter was also my favorite jacketed bullet in 8mm. Used it on many deer with great results.
    Ah, memories. I built a BRNO/ER Shaw/ Bishop 8x57as a youth to be different. It was my only rifle for years. I used Hornady 125grs for varmints & deer; 175 SIERRA for mule deer & elk. IMR 4064 only. The 125 gr @3000 fps was instant death on deer and would orbitize jacks& prairie dogs. One of the greatest cartridges ever! Best, Thomas.

Boolit Bub
    I have an 8x57 see pictures naZi markings 4 digit serial number can anyone tell me if the stock is original Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1770.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	181229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1776.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	181230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1779.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	181231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1776.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	181230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1781.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	181232

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

pupsdad

Clean all that jacket material from the barrel.

175 grain GC boolit, 21.5 grains of 4759 . . . .

Stick a fork in ya . . .

Yer done
    Last edited by TCLouis; 11-23-2016 at 10:06 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast