Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone question(s)

In Remembrance

Question Cell Phone question(s)

I have a cell phone (flip phone) and the wife has a smart phone.

Seems the wifes phone got hacked somehow, exactly how I have no clue. Mine I never use.......only when I have incoming calls or I make calls which isn't very often, maybe once every other month.

Last months credit card bill came in, there was 3 charges for things from places that have a Russian tie to them. That part we took care of and the CC company shut down the old card and sent us a new card. We have net access but we have limits, and all of a sudden the data usage really climbed to the limit real fast. Wifes phone has a Amazon app, and somehow that app (which came with the phone and can't be deleted) was using a lot of data. Thing is she never uses Amazon for anything and she shut it down, not deleted just shut it down and seems to be OK for the moment.

Now comes my situation: My phone is just your plane jane flip phone, no frills, no apps, nothing added.

Now this is the part that'll make your head spin.....The phone always stays home, I rarely carry it with me since the wife and I are always close together. When the phone stays home I charge it once every other week and even at that it's down by 1 bar out of four and I do it to just keep it topped off.

EVERY SINGLE TIME......and I mean every single time I carry my phone with me, the battery goes dead in 24hrs. If it stays home it's like I said....once every other week just to top it off.

Why all of a sudden ( we're talking the last 6 months) when the phone is moved battery life is next to nothing within 24hrs has me stumped.

Am I missing something?

This has been going on since before the wifes phone went ape sheit, and the wife knows since I tell her I'm charging the phone. We live on solar power folks, so we have this tendency to let the other person know when we're using power so if the person forgets the other person reminds them that they're using power for whatever.

Basically when my phone is moved, and I mean when I go into town, the battery power goes at a rapid rate..
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 10-01-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master

Cell Phone question(s)

How is reception in your area? When a phone starts searching for a signal a battery can drain really quickly. I used to have this problem at my cabin.

I had an an app on my old iPhone that would show me active towers and the communication between my phone and it. Over time towers would no longer be available as the cell companies moved their equipment around. Just a possibility that your phone is now constantly searching because towers have changed.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    How is reception in your area? When a phone starts searching for a signal a battery can drain really quickly. I used to have this problem at my cabin.

I had an an app on my old iPhone that would show me active towers and the communication between my phone and it. Over time towers would no longer be available as the cell companies moved their equipment around. Just a possibility that your phone is now constantly searching because towers have changed.

Here's the kicker on that.

When I say I go into town......it's the town with the closest Verizon tower. Our place is about 4-5 miles from that tower, so when I go into town I'm actually getting closer to the tower.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

When it comes to cell towers, distance isn't everything. All depends on distance, obstacles, terrain....

trybdoing a update for tower services. Used be *88 or something like that. Verizon would know the exact number.

Boolit Master

You may be over charging your phone. We never charge our phones until there is only one bar left. They will last about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks unless we text a lot to each other.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    When it comes to cell towers, distance isn't everything. All depends on distance, obstacles, terrain....

trybdoing a update for tower services. Used be *88 or something like that. Verizon would know the exact number.
    It wont do me any good, I live very remote and that's the ONLY Verizon tower in range.

Quote Originally Posted by 472x1B/A View Post
    You may be over charging your phone. We never charge our phones until there is only one bar left. They will last about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks unless we text a lot to each other.
    That's pretty much what I do. And to simplify things....I couldn't txt on that phone to save my ***, I don't know how too.

Annealing Services

Boolit Master

Break out the manual and turn off "cellular data".
    This kills "internet" access to all the apps.
    Will help with battery usage as well.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Moderator Emeritus

Your phone may need a new battery, they do have a finite life span.

The amazon app can have updates rolled back to stop the data use. And AVG makes an antivirus app for the phone that I would suggest get installed to clean the phone. Watch what you download for free apps! Way to many of them are malware! The flashlight app everyone was downloading a few years ago turned out to be spyware for example.

Boolit Master
    Mary has it right, new battery and AVG anti virus app. What platform is the phone? Android? Also these phones don't last more than two years without issues. They are designed and build to be replaced with in two years.

Banned

my old flip phone will run down quickly when it's searching for service.
    it can sit there doing nothing for almost 2 weeks before needing a charge.
    but when I take it out and it has to look for service I'd be better off talking on it when it comes to battery life.

Boolit Grand Master

As long as it's stationary it doesn't need to search for a better connection tower. As soon as you move location it tries to improve the signal. Direct linkage to the only tower is it's only choice, but it's not smart enough to know it. It's designed to try to better it's signal when low.
    Your situation and use is far from average, but average is what it's designed for.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    One thing that helps with battery life is to not charge it until the battery is very low.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

I don't have a cell phone, so I know next to nothing about them but wouldn't turning it off when not using it save on the battery? Just turn it on once in awhile to check for messages? I think that is what some due at fishing camp since their phones keep looking for service (atleast that is what I think they said).

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    my old flip phone will run down quickly when it's searching for service.
    it can sit there doing nothing for almost 2 weeks before needing a charge.
    but when I take it out and it has to look for service I'd be better off talking on it when it comes to battery life.
    This is exactly what I have found. Average time between charges is 2 weeks+. Two days at my wife's family's camp down along the river kills the battery dead. Continuously says searching for service there.

Boolit Master
    When driving I just plug mine in with a car charger, Less than $10 on amazone. My S5 samsung will eat a battery in less than 12 hours. Even faster if poor recption area.

Boolit Grand Master

Your phone sounds like it needs a battery.

Hers...the only way they could charge stuff through Amazon is if she either stays signed in to amazon or keeps her passwords on her phone. Never do either. Immediately purge your history, cookies etc then wipe the pasdwords if they are there. Change all passwords to sights like amazon on the phone and never stay signed into anything. Always check out as guest, never sign in.

There are several sights you can download apps to check your phone.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I forgot to ask. I'm assuming your wife's phone ran Android? The iPhone Amazon app doesn't keep you logged in. It times out and you have to enter your password to make any purchases.

Nothing to do with the battery. EVERYTHING to do with searching for a better cell tower. Change phones or get a car charger. That is your two options. Keep an eye out for data usage on your wife's phone thru settings. You can see what app is using the most the data. I had an app last month that sucked up 5gb of my data before I Uninstalled it. Was a cleaner that updated and went apeshiet. My phone and my wife's tablet used almost half our monthly data on this app. Didn't pull any extra on my tablet and my daughter's phone. Go figure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    One thing that helps with battery life is to not charge it until the battery is very low.
    What is your source for this advice. My understanding is that Lithium batteries are better off if you don't drain them any lower than necessary and that keeping them topped up is a good thing.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

Cell Phone question(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    What is your source for this advice. My understanding is that Lithium batteries are better off if you don't drain them any lower than necessary and that keeping them topped up is a good thing.

Tim
    You are correct. No harm is done by keeping them fully charged all the time. There is no benefit to letting them drain down before charging.

Edit:
    You should use the correct charger. Some of the higher wattage, fast chargers, can damage the batteries. They keep sending power, even if the battery is fully charged, instead of stopping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast