Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What don't you like?

Boolit Grand Master

What don't you like?

What particular model or style of weapon don't you Like? Which guns leave you going "meh" when you see them in the gun case? Remembering that one man's meat is another man's poison, pick your poison.
    I'll start by saying that I have never caught "Glockitis." To my taste, they are too blocky, and too large for me to comfortably shoot well, especially their big boy models in the 45 and 10 MM chamberings. Their compact models are like two bricks shortened and joined. Coupled with aesthetics that only a mother could love, and a near sighted one at that, the Glock just never made my bell ring.
    Which guns or styles left you underwhelmed?
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Chiappa Rhino. That's the ugliest gun to ever fall off the truck, imo.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

If this is just about handguns only, then I would say anything stamped H&R or IJ.

Boolit Master
    Even though I own 2 AR's they are not my cup of tea. I bought the first one for home defense and second to replace my bolt action varmint rifle. The one that replaced my varmint rifle will easily shoot 1/2 MOA or better.
    I am slowly growing to dislike most semi auto revolvers. The only ones I would buy are rimfires and any that look like a government .45 ACP
    East Tennessee

Bought one of them ARs years ago. Put one 30rd clip through it and it's been in the safe since. I don't look at them in the stores or at shows. I like firearms with some nice wood on them.

Dont own any weapons, only firearms. When I was in the military they had weapons.
    The worse one there was the M203. Heavy, bulky, and both the M16 & M79 did a better job before they put them on the same platform.

I love everything in the three lock box. Even the 1965 SKS.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

S&W revolvers with the "Hillary-hole" lock. When I see that I instantly dismiss said handgun from consideration of purchase.

Boolit Grand Master
    In handguns, the snubbies without a hammer. In semi-autos, the little pocket .25's

Amen on the S&W's with lock holes.

Boolit Master
    Hi...

Not a fan of Glocks, either. In point of fact, I am not a big fan of polymer pistols in general. I own exactly one, an M&P S&W 40. Got it a couple of years ago...needed a new caliber to work with and decided to check out the polymer-framed pistols at the same time. It is an OK cartridge and platform but I have no particular affection for it. I shoot it pretty regularly but not as much as other handguns.

I am more of a revolver and 1911-type guy.
    The last four handguns I have bought have all been SA revolvers. I bought a practically new BlackHawk in .41Mag a few weeks ago and a NIB Cimmaron Cattleman Cody (nickel) in .45Colt last week.
    Still awaiting delivery of two old-model SAA-clones from Cimmaron in .44Special.

I also know where there are two SA .45Colts on sale for under $400 each. One is a BlackHawk, the other is a Virginian Dragoon. I am still trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger both literally and figuratively on those. I would like to have another BlackHawk in .45Colt but that Dragoon is pulling hard on my wallet.

No polymer handguns on the horizon for me. FWIW, I do not care for the .410 chambered Taurus ans S&W handguns, either. And those Chiappa guns are just plain ugly...zero interest.

As far as rifles go...I have been looking for a good deal on something like a used older M70 Winchester or M700 Remington in a medium caliber from .243 up to .308. I had a line on a Sako in .243 at a local shop but the owner put it on an auction site and won't sell it...I dislike auctions so I probably won't get that rifle although I am monitoring the site, just in case. I am in no hurry to buy a rifle so I can wait until the right deal comes around, since I have more than enough hunting rifles and any new rifle I buy is going to be used for target shooting and load experimentation almost exclusively. I like wood stocked bolt action rifles and blued steel over stainless.

Boolit Master
    I had a Glock years ago, but they always felt a little too slippery to me. Maybe just me, but I felt it would slip out of my hand, or I would miss it when drawing it out of the holster. I wound up selling it eventually.

Boolit Master
    contenders ...or bolt action pistols.

look aweful.

Boolit Grand Master

9mm semi autos. I have a couple 1911s in .45, but never had a 9 anything really appeal to me. That said, I'm really a revolver guy...
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I am old school no plastic guns. Rifle all steel and wood stock. Pistol all steel when i can stag grips. I love the looks of stag grips on guns and knifes. I do admit to having AR and Fn fal with plastic stocks but that the way they come. The days of wood and steel guns are like cars getting to be mostly plastic.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I'll start by saying that I have never caught "Glockitis." To my taste, they are too blocky, and too large for me to comfortably shoot well, especially their big boy models in the 45 and 10 MM chamberings.
    Never liked the Glocks or any of the plastic handguns inspired by the Glock.

Rifles... AR-15 does nothing for me. I'm also not a fan of the Savage 99 shape.

Boolit Buddy

Basically, I'm in the NO AR's or Plastic Gun group. I bought a used Glock 19 in January 1990, it was built in November 1989. Since then I have owned at least 10 of the critters, now only 2 & they are SWMBO's guns ( The G19 from 1990 & her EDC G26 ). I've owned pretty much all types of Semi-Auto's and tons of Revolvers, now I'm at the point of Revolvers only. On the AR's, I got my fill of that years ago & have never personally owned one .....
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    S&W's with locks put me off, even though I do own a 625 4" bought to beat on in plates shooting, and it has been a good gun. Never cared for the look of a Glock, and would only consider one for a car or house gun if I could get it cheap. Finally bought a polymer gun this year, a Shield in .40, and I actually have grown to like it. Primarily for dependability and being basically rust proof for daily carry.

In Remembrance

Plastic guns, doesn`t matter if it is a pistol - rifle - or shotgun.Robert

1911's of all kinds.
    Antiquated boat anchors. They are heavy, clumsy, and despite what the worshippers scream, they are nothing like reliable compared to modern sidearm alternatives. Ask most any professional trainer. Beautiful when well built but nothing more. If JMB were alive today with all our manufacturing tools and materials at his disposal, he would never build another 1911 again. Evident by his true brainchild and finest work, The Browning Hi-Power. He was an innovator and on the cutting edge of everything. Today, he would be working with injection molding and 5 axis machining centers.
    I have had a fair few and shot several high dollar examples. I have never held another pistol that made me want to quit shooting....except the 1911. If given the choice, I would rather buy a HI-Point and be quite happy.

Don't Like: TC Contender handguns
    Do like: TC Contender carbines

Don't like: AR platform
    Do Like: old military rifles in wood & steel

Don't like: auto-loaders
    Do Like: single shots and manually operated repeaters

Don't like: Stainless Steel
    Do like: Blued Steel

Don't Like: modern, inline muzzleloaders
    Do Like: traditional flintlock/caplock muzzleloaders

Don't like: magazines
    Do like: revolver cylinders