RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Breech seating

Breech seating

Just wondering outloud here. Wonder if a feller had a chamber tight enough to have the case snug up on a bore diameter boolit ... Then add a paper patched boolit up to the bore diameter ... Then add the prospect of doing all this in a .454 45 Colt chamber (tight as mentioned first off).

Now lets say we do all this in a single shot rifle ... Say a TC Encore ... And breech seat the boolit in the rifling ... Blackpowder style only use smokeless powder.

Forgot to add that this boolit would have a hollow base to expand very quickly into the groove's and seal the barrel pretty fast.

What do you think about this fairly short range marriage? Think there be any merit or a colosal waste of time n effort?

I know the above system would work with blackpowder but id like to do so with smokeless powder. Would probably need the correct weight boolit as well as the correct smokeless powder.

I'd do a chamber cast and see if it has anything in front of the chamber other than a bevel on the rifling. The 45-70s had to be reamed to have a throat. If its abrupt like the 45-70s PP might not work.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Works fine with black powder. With smokeless you'd have to throat it out to fit a groove diameter bullet. Otherwise you'll get some fizzing and the bullet will likely land on the ground just past your feet.

-Nobade

If you have the proper breach seating tool, A Pope type palm seater or a lever like below you can seat a groove diameter or bore diameter and you don't need a special throat. I seat flat base GG groove diameter in rifles .40, .44 .45 and .50 caliber.
    For the .30-30 a load of smokeless in the case with a cork plugging the case mouth for transport to the range so it don't spill out. Pull the cork before seating the case with the barrel slightly elevated and your ready to go. With a Black powder load has a wad seated flush like in the photo.

Cool and thanks for the replies. Didn't mention that the barrel would be a custom lined barrel and I can chamber it as I wish ... As opposed to just dealing with a factory chamber/throat.

So there is a way to breach seat a groove diameter boolit and keep the paper in tact?

Ted, it's no different then shooting a groove diameter PP bullet deep seated in the case.

Here is what you might want to do for both breach seating and deep seating a groove diameter PP bullet. Lay a unpatched bullet on a flat hard surface. Fold a sheet of paper your using for the patch and slide both layers under the bullet nose till it stops and mark this spot on the ogive. This is where you want the patch to reach for a bore or groove diameter patched bullet. This will allow the bullet to enter the throat of a chamber even with that 45 degree chamber end. I take a spring loaded center punch and set it as light of a trip to make a soft dimple in my bullet mould to mark this spot where I want the patch to be. That dimple is so small that it does not hurt the way the bullet performs. The right bullet was breach seated at .004 over bore diameter. I seldom shoot groove diameter but they will look the same. You can see the patch end line between the lands.

When you get your alloy hardness matched with the powder loads your using they will work the way you want them.

Thanks for that. Been dreaming about doing a barrel liner in one of my encore barrels and cutting short at 18 or 20 inches for a snazzy, easy to swing patch boolit gun in the above chamber. Sounds like a doable project. Would be a easy shooting rifle with scope and be able to keep easy track of all the cases as they do not eject ... Instead they are extracted from the barrel and must be removed by hand.

Should shoot greasers very well also thru a can for a very quiet rural shooter if need ever arises.