Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Tumbling primed 308 cases

Tumbling primed 308 cases

I was given a bunch of fully processed milsurp 308 cases. They had been resized, trimmed chamfered and deburred and swaged then primed.
    They could use a good polishing which brings me to my question - can I safely tumble (using an RCBS vibratory tumbler) these cases?
    I am not worried about one going off, but I AM concerned about media getting into the flash hole and perhaps causing a misfire after reloading.
    Thoughts?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

will they chamber as is, is it just discoloration or is there something rough on the surface that would hurt your chamber. I like the pretty shiny brass as well as the next guy but does shiny brass really help you shot better. early on I had shot a lot of "dirty" 357 brass because I did not know you were supposed to clean it and you know what, it shot just fine.

Don't do it. Media will certainly get stuck and cause problems. I remember doing a small batch once and I ended up depriving them. Just load them first and vibratory tumble them for a few minutes to clean the lube off. Many here have done it and had no issues. I've done it on big batches of pistol ammo and 223 and never a worry.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master
    If anything, I would tumble after loading. Or just load, fire and tumble for next time.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Thoughts?
    Clean them up on a Zip-Trim.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned

I'd spot check that they chamber before I done anything else.
    seen the 'it's ready to go' thing before.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with the others; if it will chamber, load and shoot then tumble.

I loaded a lot of ammo over the years before I had a way to economically polish brass. I see nothing but trouble coming from tumbling primed cases.

If they by chance won't fit in your chamber, I would remove the decapping pin from the sizing die assuming you know what primer is installed.

Robert

Boolit Master

If the cases chamber fine, I'd just load and shoot. If tumbled media is sure to plug the flash hole and you would spend more time trying to clean it out than deprimingfrepriming them.

Boolit Master

I did just this many years ago. I tumbled a bunch of primed 30-06 brass that was given to me (I was a young and dumb new reloader). I was looking at them afterwards and noticed that many had media stuck in the flash holes. I was curious so I loaded and shot them (young and dumb).

They all went off and shot fine as I recall. I believe I even shot for accuracy without noticing any difference. I remember being surprised that it didn't seem to cause any problems. I would guess that the flash from the primer blows it out of the way like it's not even there.

That said, I never did it again. It just didn't seem right and I'm a lot more careful about such things now. I'm just saying how it worked for me, not recommending it.

I recall reading that once there was a problem with tumbling loaded rounds altering the burning rate of the powder , they theorized that perhaps the grains were broken into smaller pieces making it faster burning or perhaps the retardant coating was worn thinner with the same effect and over pressure was the result. just saying.
    loading 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 223 Rem, 22-250, 220 Swift, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 7X57, 7-30 Waters, 30-06 , 32-20 Win, 303 British, 38/357 , 12 and 20 gauge

Boolit Master

That's the theory anyhow; I've never seen it proven. The issue of tumbling live ammo has been vigorously debated and heatedly argued all across the internet, ranging from "You'll shoot your eye out!" to "I do it all the time".

Brasso & a rag, or deprime them all. Tumbling primed or loaded brass is just stupid.

BTW if your loading them, the stuff on the cases, just went into your seating die.

clean them first, as stated above
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

Tumbled 4,000 rounds old Twin Cities(TW) .308 that was in rusty stripper clips and tarnished. All 4,000 want bang in a 1919 .

Boolit Grand Master

Tumbling primed cases can be done a couple issues are plugged flash holes with media. There are grades of corn cob for blasting that are finer and dont plug the holes, but this is purchased in 50lb bags. Another is the dust fines or broken down media that passes thru the flash hole can become trapped in the spaces between primer pockets and primer filling in voids and changing the space. Last is what effect the vibration has on the priming pellet itself. Simply loading and hand polishing with a rag may be the better choice here. I have had friends tumbe lloaded ammo in a rotary by adding ammo and media to 70% + full so there wasnt alot of dropping action this was to remove lube not polish and was only done for a few miinutes a batch. The clear full rotary would slow the polishing action greatly. Once loaded a flannel or cotton cloth with some solvent will remove lube and most of the tarnish wont be bright but can be safely fired and then polished bright

Boolit Grand Master
    sounds like you should have tumbled them first to me
    I wouldn't tumble them now you will get media in the flash holes
    might not be in all of them but some will surely have some
    best
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

I tumble my brass with the spent primers in. When i size to remove i always get some media out with the primer no matter how hard i shake before hand. Id recommend against it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Clean them up on a Zip-Trim.

Wilco has given you some great advice.

Another inexpensive solution, if you don't have a Zip Trim... Is to use the Lee Universal Three Jaw Chuck for around $12-13 bucks, along with an electric or battery operated drill.

If you do it this way, you'll also need a Lee 3 Jaw spinner stud, ($3-5 bucks) so you can spin the Lee 3 jaw chuck using your drill.

If I was Richard Lee, they would both be packaged together. It would be less confusing, and more convenient to have both on hand.

This is an easy solution for old arthritic hands, or folks with wrist problems when it comes to automating much of your case preparation. Links below from the usual suspects.

3 Jaw Chuck at Titan Reloading.
    http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-un...l-3-jaw-chuck-

3 Jaw Chuck at Midway.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/352...ck-case-holder

Lee Spinner Spindle (with drill shank) for use with 3 Jaw Chuck.
    Titan Reloading.
    http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-3-...=Lee%20spinner

Lee Spinner Spindle (with drill shank) for use with 3 Jaw Chuck.
    Midway.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/174...th-3-jaw-chuck

A few additional pics

The two parts together will hold the cases for you, and allow you to easily chuck brass in and out of the drill by hand, without the use of any additional tools. Think of it as a mini lathe, just for your brass prep.

A simple way to automate a large portion of your case prep operation.

Nice write up here, where I borrowed the above images from
    http://jeffersonian.therealgunguys.c.../reload-r.html

Or if you are more into watching videos to learn...
    Here's a You tube link, with a Lee 3 Jaw Chuck in action.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1dH5-tYKFk

I use this same setup myself at times, instead of my manual RCBS case trimmer when I have larger amounts of cases to process.

Depending on how nasty your brass is, using either some 000 steel wool, Flitz metal polish, or whatever you prefer, you're able to clean up a bunch of grungy cases surprisingly fast.

It'll quickly power through a pile of badly tarnished cases. Which is nice IF you don't want to, or are unable to put them in a tumbler.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

No Brass, contains ammonia, will weaken the brass!

Have tumbled primed brass many times in my 50+ years of reloading, yet to experience a misfire.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice