RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cerrosafe stuck in a Martini-Henry

Boolit Buddy
    Like most here, my first time with cerrosafe did not go according to plan. I was making a cast of a 7mm Rolling Block chamber and like you was overly enthusiastic with the bore plug. I made the mistake of trying to remove the cast with a cleaning rod that had cheap crimped swivel below the T handle. When I couldn't get the cast to come out after a few light whacks I gave it big whack with the palm of my hand and the swivel buckled. Ended up sticking that skinny cleaning rod clear through my hand leaving a nifty scar on my palm and the back of my hand. Thankfully it didn't do any lasting damage and my hand still works fine with only occasional minor aches.
    That's how I got my one hand Stigmata.

I did learn from this ridiculous lack of brain power and have had no further troubles casting chambers with Cerrosafe.

Eric

Boolit Master
    I guess I have no Need for cerrosafe...
    I have acquired more than one Unknown caliber barrel/action...I kinda guess at the parent cartridge, with the aid of some Wax! Then Fireform some Annealed to soft, brass that will at least go in...Learn alot after that...If I didn't Fireform often, my fish may get hungry!!!!
    Yup...Cornmeal, or Cream of Wheat!!

Boolit Bub
    Oliver, don't use a cleaning rod or wooden dowel to pound out the casting. They are too weak. Use a steel rod a bit smaller than the bore. Tape the rod every few inches so it stays centered in the bore. With the barell fastened so it won't move, smack the rod with a heavy hammer. That usually causes the casting to come loose even if the casting is a bit long to include some rifling.
    Peter

Boolit Mold
    California - lousy gun laws; great weather!
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I stripped the action down completely and melted the cerrosafe out. An extra benefit is that I was able to clean every single part and screw and spring and what-not very well, then re-oil. I'm going to slug the barrel with a soft lead 50 cal ball, but mostly I'm just going to load a few rounds and see what I get, accuracy-wise. Fire-formed brass should give me a good idea of the chamber.

I'll practice cerrosafing using the tips you all suggested, on a less valuable gun.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123