Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Ruger halting 77 rifles in pistol calibers temporily

In Remembrance

Ruger halting 77 rifles in pistol calibers temporily

Got an info e mail from Ruger sayiny they are temporarily halting manfacture of all model 77 bolt action rifles in rimfire and pistol calibers. Wonder if this is from poor sales or some sort of problem?Robert

Boolit Master

My guess, and it is only a guess, is Ruger needs the plant space and machinery to crank out the models that are selling like crazy and are backordered. Ruger has never been shy about dropping models that aren't making money, and I'm sure that attitude extends to the models that aren't making as much money as other ones are. This is why when I see a Ruger product that I want, I grab it before it goes away.

Boolit Master

I think that's a pretty good guess 376. With the possible outcome of the election in November, I'll bet certain models are selling like hotcakes.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Yes pretty sure most free production time has been directed towards AR556's and SR556's, the two AR's they make.

It will be like to some time as well as ammo shortages. These elections are having a dramatic effect on guns and related things and as well move closer to total disarmament things will get even tighter.

Lets all hope that never comes, but with the incredibly stupid young people that our Liberal controlled schools are putting out it is only a matter time until they are too afraid of their own shadows to be willing to fight for freedom.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

FWIW

A "stocking dealer"/FFL on another gun board had received this e-mail the day last Thursday, from Ruge, the day before the customer/consumer emails went outr:

Dear Jesse,

We wanted to provide you with a heads-up regarding an upcoming consumer communication about one of our rifle lines.

We have closed down the 77/17®, 77/22®, 77/357™ and 77/44® line and have temporarily stopped production of all models. At this time,‎ we do not have a schedule or plan to turn the line back on, so any existing inventory that you or your distributors have, represents the entirety of the available product. Officially, supply is now limited.

We will be sending THIS EMAIL to our consumer email database tomorrow (9/16) - driving them to search for these products at a local retailer, like you.

We encourage you to reach out to your distributors today for remaining product availability. Also, please let your sales team know that calls may be coming in from consumers as they receive the linked communication from us tomorrow.

Thank You,
    Ruger

That's too bad for me. I wanted a .357 reasonable.

Boolit Master

I ordered some spare magazines for my 77/357. If Ruger isn't making a rifle for it, I suspect making magazines is going to be a low priority.

This will make the second hand price of these rifles rise sharply I would think.

Boolit Master
    Some are stainless and some are blued. What is the practical difference and is there any difference in quality or accuracy? Thanks in advance for the help.

Boolit Master
    It sounds like that line did not have a great profit margin and they canned it.
    Pretty soon all they will be producing is those silly AR clones and it will really get boring.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    just order ruger 77/17 wsm and 3 mags. should have it this week. I didn't want to order it this soon but I guess it is now or never.

Boolit Master
    Was going to say the CZ 527 Carbine in 30 Russian is about the same weight and size and has a better trigger and is likley more accurate. Then I looked and am not sure CZ is making the 527 carbine anymore.

I have never owned a 77/44, but last fall I sighted one in for a kid. Scoped with factory Win 240g
    ammo, it was a tack driver at 60yds. I do have a 77/22, 77/22 hornet, 77 in 270 & 220swift. The
    only mods to these guns was a trigger job, have no complaints about any of them. All these rifles
    were bought when they first hit the market. I did have a 77, in 257 Roberts that didn't impress me, so I traded it off. The 77/44 here in Ohio, are already hi priced as a desirable legal deer rifle.
    77/357s are scarce, compared to 77/44s.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    [...] 77/357s are scarce, compared to 77/44s.
    Ruger introduced the 77/44 in 1997 and the 77/357 in 2011.
    I have & like them both, certainly will be keeping them.

Boolit Buddy
    Just picked up a beautiful 77/44 in stainless. I had a 77/22 that was more accurate than most center fire rifles out there. Sold it to my buddy probably 20 yrs ago with the proviso that he offer it back to me if he ever sold it. He did just that a month or two ago....I paid him what I sold it to him for......great pal

Boolit Buddy
    I hope they start a Compact American Rifle in the pistol rounds, sure do like my 223. It would be a heap cheaper too and likely more accurate.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was hot to trot for a M77 in .357 but there were reports of mediocre accuracy and they were going for $700. I wanted something that was inexpensive to shoot and easy to reload in quantity. Basically a substitute for .22's.

I would have thought the margins were good at the price point they had, but sales were likely low as it was not an inexpensive gun.

Don Verna