Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackhorn 209 failure to ignite

Boolit Master

Blackhorn 209 failure to ignite

I have used BH 209 for several yrs in inlines and have used it exclusively in my 2 TC Hawken 45/50 cal GM barrels with Mag Spark ignition for long range target,,my problem started when I purchased 2
    10 oz bottles of BH209 for developing hunting loads for several TC slow twist barrels ,1-54 /54cal,1-48 /50cal, 1-48 50 cal,and 1-64 H=A under hammer . All of these converted to
    Mag Spark 209 ignition and immediately experienced failure to fire or watched the ball launch 30 ft down range,(at least easy to recycle).No matter what is used ,patched RB mini,Lees REAL or TC maxi same failure .What I did 1st , clean every barrel /inspect with bore light (super clean) ,130 LBs compressed air at nipple end and everything clean , try shooting and no go (a real confidence builder) so got in touch with Blackhorn .Their rep (Don) heard what I had done and could not add anything else to suggest other than to say that the batch number was their latest and to try Magnum primers as that is what they use for quality control tests and Fed or CCI 209 primers .I pointed out to Don the label clearly states use REGULAR 209 primers and suggests CCI brand which is what I already use so long story short ,does anyone use 10+ grains of 2/3F 1st to to light up 70/80grs of BH 209 ?
    I am ready to go back to traditional black and /caps but would like to see if there is a cure for the Blackhorn failure to fire as I like it for long range GM barrels ,why it works in them I do not know! Thanks in advance for the Help/Ed

Boolit Master
    If the powder isn't lighting off from a 209 primer, then something is very, very wrong. Did you actually look through the flash channel or just blow air through it assuming it would clear any obstruction such as a metal chip? Approximately 99.999 times out of a hundred, if your cap ignites and your powder doesn't, you have oil in the flash channel and/or in the breech. No matter how "clean" it looks, there's a big ol' bunch of oil in there. Swab it out. The other 0.001 percent of the time, it means there is a hard blockage in the flash channel.

I would imagine that peeing down the bore, or into the powder, immediately before loading wouldn't help, but I could be wrong.

If you're going to carry two kinds of powder (the one that works, used to ignite the one that doesn't work) then why not just use all black powder and leave the fake powder at home for fertilizing the garden or other such?

if you touch the hottest part of an acetylene welding torch flame to this substitute powder, done it ignite then?

Sorry for all the sarcasm. It's just that I stopped fooling around much with the subs after discovering that black powder always works.

Next I'm going to be told that you "...can't get black powder around here" and then I'm going to point out that 99 out of a hundred of us order our black powder and have it delivered to our doorsteps. Then you're going to say that the hazmat fee is just too much, and then I'll have to point out that now we're splitting hairs because you can spread that 25 dollar fee over several pounds and the fact that you don't pay sales tax means you're not really paying more for real powder on line than you pay locally for the fake stuff.

Perm-Banned
    i suspect your flash channels have oil in it or isnt real clear. i never ever have 209 fail but i use regular primers and not the ones for muzzleloaders. my inlines have breechplugs for 209 powder as some inlines dont ignite it with out a aftermarket breech plug for it. try popping off just primers. i can always tell when the channel is clear as the sound changes and you can tell by the sound that it is clear. also on my side locks i drill a 1/32 hole into the breech at the back of it. it is on the right side as i hold the rifle to the shoulder at a 45 degree angle as you look at it from that position. this allows the fire from the primer to push out the air behind the bullet and the fire doesnt have to compress that air to reach the powder. that little hole makes for much faster ignition. i also just loaded 200, 38 special cowboy loads with 209 powder and 100, 45 long colt cowboy loads. my cowboy revolvers are very very accurate with the 209 powder. sorry your having problems, hope they work them selves out.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I use 5 grains of black with Blackhorn. Works well, but you give up the "no rust" aspect.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    No blockage in the flash channel / no oil/and no I don"t pee down the barrel .I thought I was pretty clear on cleaning but you must have missed the part where there are(COUNT THEM) 3 separate barrels doing the same thing ! And I do not Know about you but @ $40.00 per 10 Oz bottle I have a cheaper fertilizer in mind ,maybe some of what your shoveling !

Boolit Master
    Just saying:
    Expensive lesson. Only one item left un-serviced.
    Perhaps your Mag Spark nipple requires its orifice looked at. Left fouled. It is possible for such a small orifice to inhibit a 209s flash.

Boolit Buddy
    are your projectiles tight? BH209 likes tight fitting projectiles for proper ignition

Perm-Banned
    451 whitworth has a very very good point.

Boolit Grand Master

Blackhorn 209 is the only sub it still use. I love it. I haven't experienced any issues with it in my Green Mountain 50 in a Renegade or in my 54 Renegade with a TC barrel. Both have Mag Spark's in them.

Boolit Master
    I appreciate the help offered and have been trying some of the suggestions ,today the 45 H+A under hammer fired both times with BL209 (then the Magspark stripped threads) and that was done for the day.Just chased threads and installed with Loctite /fixed maybe .The TC 50 was the winner 50/100 yd with 20 gr @2f + 60gr BL 209 fired with cci cap ,tomorrow back to the under hammer ,which is shooting a 450 RCBS 280gr miniball that I knurled ,needs a starter to get there and the 50 shoot well all afternoon with the same 20 2F +60 BH209 behind that S+W 501 PP boolit ! Both projectiles are what I consider tight /snug fit over 2 waxed fiber wads/overpowder card . Seems the duplex load will get me thru these 2 bottles and maybe find the problem .Again thanks for the suggestions/Ed
    Last edited by Edward; 09-17-2016 at 02:56 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The problem seems to have started with the new BH209. You might try buying another bottle and make sure it is a different lot.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned
    Did you clean the carbon build up out of that mag spark? I only got 7 shots with my mag spark before it ripped off my rifle. I'd suggest getting a rifle compatible for shooting BH209.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    Did you clean the carbon build up out of that mag spark? I only got 7 shots with my mag spark before it ripped off my rifle. I'd suggest getting a rifle compatible for shooting BH209.
    I'm curious about this. I'm not that familiar with BH209, but I cannot say I've seen this problem addressed before.

What exactly is a compatible rifle?

johnson1942 has mentioned to me a few times that BH209 is something I should consider in a Lyman rifle for longer range shooting so it's something I've certainly thought about, and from what I gathered a MagSpark nipple was all that was needed.

Banned
    Its made for closed breech systems like a TC Encore, TC Omega, CVA optima,Wolf,Accura V2 - MR, with the Blackhorn209 breech plug, Traditions Inlines *Break action with 209 breech plug*.

The mag spark just may not be reliable enough for BH209 to set off consistently.

Also depends on how snug the projectile is for BH209 to set off.

CCI 209 Magnum, Federal 209a, Winchester W209, All are reliable primers with the rifles mentioned above.

Boolit Grand Master

The Mag Spark and Blackhorn 209 comb. is working very well in my sidelocks. I have shot it down to about 20 degrees. BH209 is a bulk smokeless powder with some smoke added. It is very clean burning.

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/ignition-guidelines/

Boolit Master
    I have reliably shot Blackhorn 209 in my TC 54/50/45 (6 barrels to date) 2 GM long range 1inch barrels and a H+A 45 UNDER HAMMER with no problem till purchasing the 2 bottles mentioned .
    Perhaps Frontier Muzzleloader should not bother to comment on this thread as he has little experience on the subject . I will always listen to folks with experience on my issue .Tomorrow I get to try Johnson 1942 suggestion ,I"m thinking it will fix me up with BL 209 and will post results if the weather isn't to wet /Thanks Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I have reliably shot Blackhorn 209 in my TC 54/50/45 (6 barrels to date) 2 GM long range 1inch barrels and a H+A 45 UNDER HAMMER with no problem till purchasing the 2 bottles mentioned .
    If it was mine I would call:

Western Powders, Inc.
    PO Box 158
    Top of Yellowstone Hill
    Miles City, MT 59301
    406-234-0422
    Fax: 406-234-0430

and have them replace it.

Boolit Master
    I did as stated at the start of the post ,Don the rep stated there is nothing wrong with their powder ,nothing wrong with their Quality control ,SSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo it must be something wrong on my end Though I see a bunch of reasons posted on their website for failure to fire,so I guess I"m not alone in the complaint dept . Just funny this just happened, never a problem before
    and the barrels have never been cleaner and none of the conditions listed apply

Banned
    Well I have shot well over 60 POUNDS of the stuff so I do believe I have experience.

Especially with the mag spark.

Good luck talking to blackhorn209 about it since it is stated to NOT use it in a sidelock. They will not support using it even with the 209 adapter.

Perma-Banned
    I make no claims to bein' the sharpest knife in the drawer or brightest crayon in the box but, I fail to see what an improperly installed or overtightened or otherwise abused mag-spark unit has to do with the OP's problem of blackhorn 209 not goin' bang in his gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast