WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My shiny new Load Master

My shiny new Load Master

I've spent the last two days setting up and fine tuning the Load Master, and so far I like it! I've smoothed and polished the shell plate and that alone made a big difference! When I first assembled it I could feel the roughness when I indexed it, after polishing it is smooooth! So far I've only cycled empty cases through, and used spent primers to check the primer seating with no issues. I've watched plenty of youtube vids that show the areas that need attention and they've been a great help.

I've only come unstuck in one area. My intention is to use it to load both .38 and .44-40, so I bought the .38 press and ordered the extra shellplate for.44, another 5-hole turret plus the extra parts for the boolit feeder to handle the larger boolits. Fine, as far as it went......For some reason I assumed the press would come with the primer parts for both large and small primers. Wrong....which was obvious once I thought about it (the .38 kit only needs the small primer assembly). So, another order to Titan for the large primer feed, ram and spring (cost me as much for shipping as the parts!!).

Next problem, that dawned on me as I was fitting the boolit feeder. While I will have a complete turret setup for .44, with it's own powder feed, I will not only have to change the boolit feed die and fingers on the boolit feeder but the whole feeder will have to be removed and swapped each time. This means removing the boolit seating die each time, which means having to reset the adjustment each time. No big deal, but slightly annoying. Then I remembered that I had a set of Hornady locking rings, the ones with the little allenhead screw to lock them to the die. By using one of these on the boolit seating die I should be able to remove, and return, the die to the same position each time because the lock ring won't shift out of adjustment.
    At least, that's the theory.

Looks like being the start of an interesting journey.

Boolit Bub
    Good luck with the Load Master. I have the Pro 1000, and I envy the 5 stations of the Load Master.

Looks like being the start of an interesting journey.
    Thats putting it mildly. I did manage to get the Loadmaster to work quite well. The Lee bullet feeder is a $25 piece of trash though.

Boolit Master
    Good luck.

I mean that.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Don't fret the individuals who will speak negatively on the LoadMaster. Knowledge of how the machine works along with setting it up properly and a tweek/mod you will be on your way to thousands of flawless rounds. Priming on the press was an issue however the new priming systems out has fixed those issues. Also make sure to set it up on a solid bench with no flexing and moving etc.

The Loadmasterzone is a great resource.
    http://loadmastervideos.com/ the forum is the first link top left of this opening page.

Here is a manual that makes more sense:
    http://manual.loadmastervideos.com/

Being a Lee product I was expecting to get negative comments. Doesn't bother me, and other than their molds (can't do much with them if faulty) I've learned that their stuff will generally work fine with a bit of tweaking. I read a lot about this press before deciding to buy one, plus a fellow club member recently set one up. He had some problems initially, but once he sorted them he's very happy with it (I bought the boolit feeder because he said how well it works). He's a machinist by trade and also does gunsmithing so he's somewhat familiar with machinery.

And before anyone says it, yes, a Dillon would be nice but I can't justify maybe $1400 for a press - heck, for not much more I can buy a nice metal lathe (which I intend doing). Much better value.

I've run dummy rounds through (no powder and spent primers) and I'm impressed how smooth it is and how everything lines up with no backlash or looseness in it. I figure if I can get a Pro 1000 to work then this should be easier.

Rob, I've already been browsing the loadmaster site, lots of good stuff on there.

Perma-Banned

Good luck!

Just realize...it will work reasonably well as long as you are willing to continually tweak it...despite the above post of it running flawlessly for thousands of rounds...it NEVER WILL...sorry...but it will load ammo and that is your goal. Also, it will make you appreciate that Dillon when you finally get a fill of the tweaking.

Boolit Master

I've been through EVERY Press Lee makes, and I still have a Load Master, a Lee Classic Cast Turret, a Lee Breech Lock Challenger, and a little C press. Used to have 2 other LLM's as well as a Pro 1000. With that in mind, the LLM WILL load quality ammo as will all the others. I am a reloading press junkie cause I also have 2 RCBS Rock Chuckers and a big ole Dillon 650. If you ever have a problem with the LLM, get a hold of "magic mike" and he will make you happy with mods designed to make the LLM a marvel to run.

I already know this thing inside out and understand how it works. I'm not doing commercial quantities and suspect problems are most likely to arise if I try and go too fast. I can also tell you that unless someone offers me a Dillon at a very good price (unlikely, considering how expensive they are here) I won't be buying one. I don't mind if I have to do a bit of tweaking occasionally as I consider it part of keeping something mechanical running.

Sparky, I've already seen Magic Mike's site, very interesting products and thoughts on the LM.

I don't think everybody pays attention to the location of posters. People in the States probably don't realize the costs of buying from overseas in Australia or New Zealand. Ends up costing you guys almost double of what we pay for something here in the States.

I personally did not care for the loadmaster, but I had one back when the primer system didn't work well and Lee claimed there was nothing wrong with it. If there was nothing wrong with it, why did they release updated primer system for it 2 years later?

Enjoy. I hope it works out for you.

If you have the press running well, I think you can maintain it. When you get tired of boiling the fingers on the bullet feeder chunk it and get one that works for more than a few hundred rounds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Good luck!

Just realize...it will work reasonably well as long as you are willing to continually tweak it...despite the above post of it running flawlessly for thousands of rounds...it NEVER WILL...sorry...but it will load ammo and that is your goal. Also, it will make you appreciate that Dillon when you finally get a fill of the tweaking.
    Yes it will. I've loaded in a single setting once 1,000 rounds of 45 acp......just added primers and dumped the old ones out.

VHoward, yeah, I gather that the early priming system was a bit of a dog. I'm not surprised they wouldn't admit something was wrong, my experience with their so-called customer service hasn't been brilliant. As long as the basic machine is good then I have a solid foundation to get it working and keep it working. As for your comment about location, you're quite right. Things will cost at least double (and sometimes more) compared to the US and that is if you can actually get them. And as for buying spares and replacement parts the usual answer is they're not in stock but we can get them in - eventually.

Unlike the US, where you have many mail-order places dealing in gun-related goods, and it seems every town has a gunshop on every corner (), we do it pretty tough.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Yes it will. I've loaded in a single setting once 1,000 rounds of 45 acp......just added primers and dumped the old ones out.
    I have loaded thousands upon thousands on my 550 and never touched anything...unless I changed bullet designs.

Set it up and forget it.

And, I won't even mention that priming system...new or old...on Lee presses.

There are too many plastic parts on Lee presses for them to be tweak free for very long.

At any rate, it will load ammo and that is what the OP is interested in...he will just tweak it, when needed and keep loading. BUT, one day, he will tire of that.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    I have loaded thousands upon thousands on my 550 and never touched anything...unless I changed bullet designs.

Set it up and forget it.

At any rate, it will load ammo and that is what the OP is interested in...he will just tweak it, when needed and keep loading. BUT, one day, he will tire of that.
    My question is to what point break does one need to get to to justify the expense of a $1000.00+ press?

Would that be 100,000 rounds a year? 10,000 a year? 5000? For myself, loading less than 5000 a year I could never justify spending that on a press.

Boolit Master

I love my loadmaster. Want to be in the club of people who say 'nary a problem"?

-Always keep 10 more primers in the hopper than you need. You need the headspace pushing down on the primer coming in.

-If you ever spill powder. ever, ever. Full stop, pull the shell plate and primer assembly and clean it. Don't let spilled powder hang around. Keep the prime assembly dry.

You'll never have an issue.

Why didn't you buy all the parts you need to have 2 working turrets, so you don't have to change anything? That was my motivation to buy a second 45 caliber lyman M die....

Boolit Master

what I REALLY wish lee could pull out of a hat is a universal manual bullet collator that was "as reliable and effective" as their manual case collator. I don't mind filling tubes manually, but I would be happier if I had something like a cookie tray with scallops, dump bullets in and shake to align all the bullets in the scallops (all the right way due to lee magic of course), then hole a tube at the bottom and push the row of bullets right in and now I have a loaded tube.

I need that fictional piece of magic hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    My question is to what point break does one need to get to to justify the expense of a $1000.00+ press?

Would that be 100,000 rounds a year? 10,000 a year? 5000? For myself, loading less than 5000 a year I could never justify spending that on a press.
    Not sure why someone is worried about how many rounds a year it will take to pay off their press, but I'll give you my experience since I did go over a year without a press and had to use factory ammo.

Depending on what your reloading 3000~6000 rounds will easly justify a $1000 press fully set up. I load for 380acp, 357mag and 40S&W on a 650 and here is the round count that would put the press to break even for each one.

380acp factory ammo $200 per 1000 shipped
    380acp me pouring my own boolits $30 per 1000.
    Saving of $170 per 1000
    Break even is just under 6000 rounds.

357mag factory ammo $370 per 1000 shipped.
    357mag me pouring my own boolits $35 per 1000
    Saving of $335 per 1000.
    Break even is 3000 rounds.

40S&W factory ammo $200 per 1000 shipped
    40S&W me pouring my own boolits $35
    Saving of $165 per 1000
    Break even is just over 6000 rounds.

Not sure when the last time you priced factory ammo those prices are for the cheapest ammo out there, you might find a sale and save a few more $$$.

My girlfriend shoots 150~200 rounds per range trip in her 380acp , and we go at least once a month sometimes twice. I shoot 80~120 per trip in the 357mag, and maybe 50~70 in the 40S&W.
    So for what we shoot it would only take a year and half maybe more to pay off the press and the complete conversions for all 3 calibers we shoot.
    I reload to save money and most of all have accurate ammo for our guns, and I've posted before that her 380 shoots better with our loads than with any factory ammo that was shot prior to us reloading for it.

Back to the topic.
    There is nothing wrong with using Lee presses if that's what you want. I owned a Lee Classic Turret great press and loaded my low volume pistol ammo and rifle with no issues. Never used the press the OP is talking about, sounds like he has it working good and will produce ammo for him for years to come.

Bottom line be happy with what you have, or upgrade to something else that MIGHT take less tinkering to keep running for longer times. I use a 550 & 650 and both sometimes needs an adjustment, ALL presses from time to time needs something done to them. Biggest issues with the 2 Dillon's I use is keeping everything clean, not hard to keep clean but if you start having issues most times it's because something is dirty(90% of the time its the priming system)

dikman I hope you have many years with your press and many thousands of rounds.

Warf
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

I have quite a bit invested in reloading equipment, most of it is worth more now than when I bought it.

I also enjoy nice equipment and don't have any motorcycles, boats or RV's so I have the money to use in this hobby.

I understand where you're coming from, JM, and I too can appreciate nice equipment. You're also lucky that some of your gear has appreciated rather than depreciated.

Warf, thanks for the nice words. Barring ill-health and the unforeseen (and assuming our government doesn't deprive us of the rest of our guns!!) I figure I've got about 20 years ahead of me. I have no doubt that the LM will see me out. I ran 50 .38's through it this afternoon to see how it would go. Had a couple of minor problems, basically my fault. I was too busy trying to watch everything at once and ran out of cases. No big deal, of course, but in the meantime the boolit feeder kept dropping boolits regardless of whether there is a case present. Just something I'll have to get used to. I'll also have to do a minor readjustment on the case mouth flaring, as on a few there were signs of the case shaving the lead as the boolit was seated. Other than that I was very impressed. On the Pro 1000 I had intermittent problems with primer seating depth which would cause revolver cylinders to stop and feeding issues on the lever rifle. On this press the primers were seated perfectly, with no feeding issues whatsoever.
    The potential weak point I see is the plastic slide that pushes the primer into place. As these aren't available as a separate spare I reckon I'll make a replacement out of brass so I've got a spare handy.

Whiterabbit, that was my intention, to set up a complete turret for .44-40. Once I get the bits I forgot to order before () that's what I'll do.

I suppose it could be said that any idiot can use a Dillon, but it takes a special kind of person to get a LoadMaster up and running .