MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Customer Service SUCKS!!!!

Boolit Master

So Lyman is run by executives and lawyers now? Wow this thread is off the rails!
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned
    Lyman said they would send out the primer arm but I haven't seen it yet and I'm still not holding my breath. If it isn't in my mail box by friday then a week will have passed and they have no intention of sending me anything.

Boolit Grand Master

I've dealt with Lyman CS on a couple occasions and had both kinds of service. Jackie was knowledgeable and solved my problem over the phone. Her promised part took a while to arrive, but it did indeed.
    As far as a warranty goes, If you buy a product NEW, it shouldn't matter from whom. It was either sold by the Mfg or stolen. In either case, the end consumer has the right to expect service when needed. That is part of the price of doing business.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

Next time you are looking for a new press and decent customer service, check out CH4D , Dave Davidson has some SWEET reloading presses and A-1 customer service.
    CH4D dies are the best in my book.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Maybe a bit off subject, but an RCBS universal priming arm will also work in the T-mag and T-mag II presses.

I have a few of both, since I like to leave 2 set up (1 large and 1 small primer) rather than play change around with a hex wrench whenever I need to swap primer sizes on the T-mag Or Rock Chucker.

I once broke, well cracked at least the RCBS aluminum universal primer arm, right at the pivot hole on my Rock Chucker press. It still seemed to work, but it bugged me. RCBS happily mailed me another one for free, but I had already bought a replacement from the local fun store.

Sorry about your experience with Lyman's Customer service. I haven't needed it myself yet, knock on wood. Other than ordering (buying) a Lyman plastic primer catch once a while back, I can't recall ever having dealt with Lyman over the phone.

- Bullwolf

I haven't bought anything Lyman is over 15 years because of there CS. But have spent countless thousands on RCBS, Hornady, Dillon and Lee since that time, there loss not mine.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I've dealt with Lyman CS on a couple occasions and had both kinds of service. Jackie was knowledgeable and solved my problem over the phone. Her promised part took a while to arrive, but it did indeed.
    As far as a warranty goes, If you buy a product NEW, it shouldn't matter from whom. It was either sold by the Mfg or stolen. In either case, the end consumer has the right to expect service when needed. That is part of the price of doing business.

I bought mine off ebay and paid good money for the new in the box press. I believe that I certainly deserve the same warranty as anyone else. Unused still sealed box with new press ought to equal a new warranty. If Lyman doesn't feel like they want to back their products then two possibilities come to my mind either quit advertising a warranty or quit selling a product. I've never had a problem with Dillon or RCBS never been asked in RCBS's case when I purchased their product or how long I've had an item. Its just give me your name and address and we will send out a new part with no questions. I did give RCBS some numbers off a set of carbide dies only to have the customer service guy ask me if I have owned them over 30 years with me answering yes to the question. Being that I have zero patience and zero tolerance I expect some reasonable service when I call into customer service and I believe I have the right to it because after all I spent my money on their product.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by warf73 View Post
    I haven't bought anything Lyman is over 15 years because of there CS. But have spent countless thousands on RCBS, Hornady, Dillon and Lee since that time, there loss not mine.
    If it weren't for the fact that I just bought it back in July I would probably let it go down the road. I guess that and the fact that I like the feel of it for doing small batches of pistol and rifle brass instead of setting up the Dillon 650 for the task. I may however still let it go down the road in the future because this experience has me wondering about any future warranty problems that might arise.

Boolit Master
    after looking at the old arm....me thinks i'd make one out of solid steel...not pot metal.

but that's just me.

Banned
    If I had a mill I would machine a new one that would last for my life time and probably others as well. I will continue to wait for the Lyman part to arrive and if not will retro fit the RCBS primer arm.

Banned
    I like the CH4 presses. I just wish there was a little more leverage. That is the nice thing about the T-mag press.

30yrs of reloading equiptment

When it comes to reloading equipment that I bought used I always tell them I will be glad to pay, 50% of the time they send it free with extra parts for the next time I break it, on new equipment I do the same if they say its not under warranty I'm ;( but I move on, every time I purchase something new it reflects my decision on who to buy from.. I still buy the product that I'm wanting at the time Knowing I may not get the service I always want. I have noticed some company's tend to disappoint me quicker than others. They are all short handed. I always look at the what this cost them with all the old equipment out there and Machining cost, and I know they have to deal with some Idiots and they may be having a bad day, I think dealing with the public on a large scale that expects everything free would harden you, and buy the end of the week you could be wanting to hurt some one, let alone do it day in and out, or even for years. In the end we hope they do the wright thing and continue to help people that need help and training with there new hobby. I hope they get your parts to you, I didn't mention names for a reason.

Boolit Buddy
    Let me start by saying that I am no big Lyman fan. I will buy RCBS over anyone else, whenever I can, because I think their products and customer service is superior. I am often frustrated by the norm of what is often mediocre customer service in todays world. However, thinking that because you make a good stink, you should get something covered for free, when something does not fall under warranty, just because you think you should get what you want, is probably one of the reasons why companies have cut back on being overly generous.

You state in your opening post that they asked where you purchased the press. You made the assumption that they would not cover the part under warranty. Had you answered the post, and your purchase was the first retail purchase, problem solved. If that was not the case, they may have covered it anyway, but now we will never know.

Here is the warranty wording:

Warranty/Repair Policy

Your Lyman Product has been produced under rigid standards of manufacture and inspection. However, if your Lyman product is found to be defective in material or workmanship within one year of delivery to the first retail purchaser, we will repair or replace it without charge.

I don't begrudge anyone wanting to get a good deal, and as stated, I appreciate companies that go above and beyond. When we get great customer service, we should tell everyone, but when a company simply wants to follow their written warranty, I don't think they should get a bad wrap. It is only an assumption, but Lyman may being trying to protect their dealers. The Internet is changing lots of things, and time will tell how it shakes out, but this may be an example of what is good or bad. Again, maybe the seller was an actual dealer, and there would have been warranty coverage, but Lyman was never given the chance to respond. You can argue all you want that you think they should change their policies, but when I don't like a companies policies, I just avoid their products.

I am sure folks, especially the OP will flame me, and I will admit that this could have been handled differently, but the bottom line is when you don't follow the written rules, don't expect to get something for nothing.

Jackpine

ps Like I said earlier, buy RCBS

Boolit Master

I have a hard time trying to pay RCBS for parts needed. I tell them I found a press and need whatever please send me the parts for it here is my CC # they WILL NOT charge me stating the parts are on the way.

That is customer service done the right way.

I buy Their stuff before all others. Love their die sets even if more expensive.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackpine View Post
    Let me start by saying that I am no big Lyman fan. I will buy RCBS over anyone else, whenever I can, because I think their products and customer service is superior. I am often frustrated by the norm of what is often mediocre customer service in todays world. However, thinking that because you make a good stink, you should get something covered for free, when something does not fall under warranty, just because you think you should get what you want, is probably one of the reasons why companies have cut back on being overly generous.You state in your opening post that they asked where you purchased the press. You made the assumption that they would not cover the part under warranty. Had you answered the post, and your purchase was the first retail purchase, problem solved. If that was not the case, they may have covered it anyway, but now we will never know. Here is the warranty wording:Warranty/Repair Policy Your Lyman Product has been produced under rigid standards of manufacture and inspection. However, if your Lyman product is found to be defective in material or workmanship within one year of delivery to the first retail purchaser, we will repair or replace it without charge. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to get a good deal, and as stated, I appreciate companies that go above and beyond. When we get great customer service, we should tell everyone, but when a company simply wants to follow their written warranty, I don't think they should get a bad wrap. It is only an assumption, but Lyman may being trying to protect their dealers. The Internet is changing lots of things, and time will tell how it shakes out, but this may be an example of what is good or bad. Again, maybe the seller was an actual dealer, and there would have been warranty coverage, but Lyman was never given the chance to respond. You can argue all you want that you think they should change their policies, but when I don't like a companies policies, I just avoid their products.I am sure folks, especially the OP will flame me, and I will admit that this could have been handled differently, but the bottom line is when you don't follow the written rules, don't expect to get something for nothing.Jackpineps Like I said earlier, buy RCBS
    I believe I satisfied Lymans conditions since I am the first purchaser. Expecting something for nothing? I don't think so but I do expect the darn thing to hold together for more than two months. I should probably mention that Lyman did answer my internet request for service/service ticket and told me "Yes it was covered and to call in with my name and address. Unfortunately like I mentioned they dropped the ball after that. You probably consider my answer a flame and so be it. I do have to right to expect prompt service just like anyone else and warranty since I was the first retail purchaser and last but not least that their products should not break within a two month time period.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 09-22-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    If I had a mill I would machine a new one that would last for my life time and probably others as well. I will continue to wait for the Lyman part to arrive and if not will retro fit the RCBS primer arm.
    The RCBS will fit ok I found that out myself I have the older T Press and had broke some arms. I see that the RCBS will wok ok on the T press
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned
    Received an email saying the part has been shipped. Was that so hard?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    These posts are pointless. Just because you want it to be someway doesn't mean it will be that way. Manufacturers have express warranties with CONDITIONS. Grow up.
    Ditto....

Boolit Buddy
    If the entity you bought it from on Ebay was a dealer, then you were the first retail buyer and all that needed to be done was supply Lyman with the info and all the hassle would have been avoided.

Like Tar Heel said "Just because you want it to be someway doesn't mean it will be that way. Manufacturers have express warranties with CONDITIONS. Grow up."

Jackpine

Boolit Master

Well I haven't purchased anything from Lyman for over 5 years due to lousy quality control and worse service, but judging from some who have posted on this thread they are at least giving good service sometimes, which amazes me. Comparing this thread with my memory of similar threads on here a few years ago, it seems like their service must be improving, cause it was all negative then.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast