Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lil' Gun discontinuied?

Boolit Master
    It does wonders in the Hornet...mine is a TC Contender carbine so no change to "machine gun" it through there...very accurate and very very good velocities. The good thing is a couple of pounds of it is a lifetime supply for the Hornet.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I guess the answer to using Li'gun is to not machine gun it through you firearm, and you won't have any problems.
    Nope, the erosion issues happen regardless of how fast you're firing the gun. Lots of people love it in lever actions. I had the same results as Lloyd after a mag dump in an 1894C. Just not worth the potential issues IMO.

Banned
    I call bull ****. This Bob Baker .... does he have second sight ? How will he KNOW that I used Lil Gun ?

Let's see the side by side tests of several powders with the same performance as Lil Gun by an independent lab PROVING that it is more erosive. (Don't hold your breath!)

"I could not touch the barrel." That is a true lab result ! If I run 5 12 bore low base shells thru my 870 as fast as I can, I don't touch the barrel either.

And ..... it is still available ..... Midway is not the sole source supplier of gun powder in the USA !

I have to leave now to shoot the Zombies off my roof......

Banned

If youd even have met bob baker you wouldn't say that. Hes a very honest man. The reason he would know is that he asked the owners what they shot in them when he first started seeing the damage. Now if your the type that would lie about what you shot you surely could get away with it.

Boolit Master

I'll second Lloyd's observation on the Lil Gun loading in the 50 Beowulf. The barrel is smoking hot after 7 rounds.

Banned
    So we agree that rapid fire in a semi auto rifle heats up the barrel.

I'll await some proof.

Boolit Grand Master

You are years behind. The information is out there. It's up to you if you want to believe it or not. Erosion issues were confirmed and it didn't take many shots. Like I said, it's up to you to do the research and decide if you believe the claims or not.

Banned
    If I believed unsupported claims, I would never shoot my low # 03s, believe Powder Coating would wear out my barrels, would never shoot lead boolits in my M-1, think scope glass made in China was inferior to current USA production, expect to be abducted by a UFO and think Democrats were pro-gun.

When you have some double blind lab tests, I'll listen but for now it works just fine and I don't own a 450 Bushmaster machine gun.

OH yes, contrary to what was stated here, it's not discontinued either.

Banned

looks like you don't believe anyone on here or bob baker or for that matter anyone anywhere. Maybe the only way youll open your eyes is if you test it yourself. People on here that are giving you advice for actually shooting it are trying to help you. If you want to blindly use it in your sixguns go for it. Your not hurting any of our guns just your own.

Boolit Grand Master

Lil' Gun discontinuied?

Double blind lab tests? Name one that's been done involving reloading. There is no point in discussing this because you don't want to. Even if we gave you exactly what you wanted it wouldn't be good enough. I've dealt w/ plenty of fools in my life to be able to spot one quickly.

In the mean time just google "freedom arms lil gun" and read away.

I just bought the last two cans of Lil Gun at the Tacoma Bass Pro shop.
    They said they were going to get more,just didnt know when
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

The powder is too popular to discontinue. It also works well in .221 Fireball and .458 SOCOM.

And if you look at the powder burn table, it is #62 of 150 and is just north of H110/IMR296, which is not too hot. I call Shenanigans.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Banned
    "Tits over the back fence" is not where anyone with a 3 digit IQ gets their info.

AND Mr. uniformed, I am not using it in a revolver.

Typical internet, people so anxious to get their 2 cents in that can't even get their facts straight.

Probably believe that "laying on of hands" by some tent preacher is a better diagnosis than seeing a MD.

Boolit Master
    A word to the wise is usually sufficient. Why get all twisted into a pretzel when your advice gets ignored.

I will still use Lil Gun but thoughtfully. Doubt I will burn out my .22 Hornet, if I do I will tell you.

As far as if the warnings are alarmist or appropriate. As has been noted all we have is anecdotal evidence. The severity and extent of the problem has not been quantified. In revolvers in applications where erosion and gas cutting are already an issue the use of Lil Gun is probably contraindicated even with so little hard evidence.

There has got to be a reason that Lil Gun produces higher velocities at lower pressures, there ain't no free lunch. The barrel heating phenomena can only be marginally worse than using ball powders with similar burn rates, powder burning temperatures are constrained to a fairly narrow range due to chemical similarity. Its is not like Lil Gun uses new propellants.

It does not require double blind test to raise a concern or even an alarm. People sharing their experience should not be attacked unless there is a reason to suspect an ulterior motive. If people ignore your advice and attack you for it, a polite reminder of "my experience your mileage may vary" just like a word to the wise should be sufficient.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy

I'm sorry I made the OP, I didn't mean to set off a SHTF over usage, just wanted to know if it was still in production. Guess I'll contact Hodgdon.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Banned
    Lefty IT IS. You can buy it today from Powder Valley.

It's clear that absent any real evidence, this debate is going nowhere. Nobody is going to burn out a 450 BM barrel using cast boolits in any case, so the powder used is immaterial.

Banned

you have slower burning and hot mixed up. Because a powder is slower burning has nothing to do with how hot it burns or how fast it pushes a projectile. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    The powder is too popular to discontinue. It also works well in .221 Fireball and .458 SOCOM.

And if you look at the powder burn table, it is #62 of 150 and is just north of H110/IMR296, which is not too hot. I call Shenanigans.

Banned

do you have scientific tests to back up that statement
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Humble View Post
    Lefty IT IS. You can buy it today from Powder Valley.

It's clear that absent any real evidence, this debate is going nowhere. Nobody is going to burn out a 450 BM barrel using cast boolits in any case, so the powder used is immaterial.

Boolit Buddy
    Mr. Humble:
    I invite you to do a test for the CastBoolit forum. I would like to see you shoot a gun of your choice in a torture test of several thousand rounds. This may shed some light on the problem at hand. By shooting strings of 8 or 10 rounds every 15 minutes or so for 5 strings and doing this on a weekly basis it may show some effect of barrel erosion...or none at all. It could be viewed with the use of a barrel scope which are available on Ebay. This would put to rest any debate on this confusion of the use of this powder.

Boolit Master

I've discontinued using Lil' Gun in my hornets. Although it did produce good accuracy with outward signs of low pressure, I had punctured primers on too many occasions to be a coincidence. This was occurring in three different rifles. I never saw this phenomenon with 2400, IMR4227 or W296. It seemed to me that something wasn't exactly stable in the pressure department. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast