Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I wonder about gun shops sometimes.

Boolit Master

I wonder about gun shops sometimes.

Went to see a friend this weekend, he works in a gun shop. One thats a bit spartan, he tells me its just been hard to get orders filled. Tho the little place near me, has no issues, and has cases jammed full of new inventory.

One stark contrast is 22lr, shop my friend works at had little. Place near me has piles of it. Maybe just using the wrong distributor or wrong attitude? Place near me is always very fair, very nice people. The guy my friend works for, tends to inject politics into everything, ticking people off. But guess it could also be something like bad credit keeping what he can order down.

One thing I noticed at the place my friend works, is some of the same guns for a really long time. Now I know some stuff is just not so easy to sell, you need the right customer to come in. I bought an H&R 20 ga slug gun, it had been in the rack for a while, cheap to at $199. Just took somebody like me wanting to buy it. But Im thinking my friends place they are simply over pricing things. I asked, they have a yugo SKS in the rack, its been there months. He admitted it was over priced. Had a couple other rifles that are bit specialized, like a 22 mag AK. He might wait a really long time for the right guy to come in, and would be willing to pay a premium, vs just getting it off the wall by selling it at a lower price on gun broker. Free up the cash and put something else up. I tried to trade for a Sig 556 rifle he had, but ticked me off in the process. The Sig is used, but near new price. And tried to offer me way below market on what I had. He offered me $850 for an ATI HK33 'thats what the book says' when I easily sold it for $1400 on armslist.

And I question his shops new policy of offering $100 less trade in value on any pistol in 40S&W. Said they cant sell them, so why pay full trade value for them? Not that his shelf price reflects that lack of demand. But I also know my friend has a thing against 40. Wont even shoot mine. Now the place near me doesn't go '40' and spit on the floor. Maybe attitude has alot to do with it.

Boolit Master

I worked for a fellow once, that said many times "the only person here that is indispensable is the one writing the checks."
    I never figured out if he meant himself, or the customers.

I'm saying that the owner of any business can do as he/she pleases regarding how that biz is run. I've seen many places go broke, because of mis-management, bad attitudes and the like. However, I've also seen places go broke from lack of operating capital.

As for injecting politics into everything, well, thats a good way to alienate 50% of the population first rattle out of the box. I talk politics with very, very few people, and none in the course of my business.

Boolit Master
    I think the reason I was offered such a poor deal on that rifle was politics. My friend likes to refer to me as a 'liberal' and Im sure has said so to his boss. The 'liberal' is a matter of perspective, I know actual liberals, they do not include me in their ranks. So why would he offer a 'liberal' a decent deal on a rifle? Even tho he could move a hard to sell rifle, and take one in he could sell easier. So seems more like an opportunity to screw over a liberal. His loss, I sold my rifle for nearly 2x what he offered, and still has the other rifle hanging on the wall.

The place near me has always been so fair, its a little mom and pop place been there since 73. They never did any gouging during the panic. And oddly I can get better prices thru that shop as a guy off the street than thru my friend who works in a shop. I want to order something, its 10% over what the dealer price is.

I do business with places that have the products, services and smiles that I want.
    When those basics are lacking, I take my wallet elsewhere. It really is that simple.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned

customers expect to haggle used gun prices and get a somewhat fair price on a trade in.
    unfortunately this leaves a pretty slim profit margin for the shop and they need a volume of turn over to make any amount of monthly income.
    when newer guns are involved the store can't pay more than their wholesale price [why would they?] and they for sure can't sell it for full retail.
    this 60% of new 'what I paid price' ticks some people off.
    they don't seem to understand why the shop would buy a new one and sell it for what 'they paid' and use the mark-up to cover operating costs and stay in business.

your friend might want to start looking for a new job.
    a shop without a line of credit at their distributors is always going to be behind the curve on inventory and sales.
    each time a customer walks out without something in their hands is a loss of profit and revenue.
    once this starts it cycles the owner further and further behind on his credit payments, and his inventory becomes less and less.

Boolit Master
    I know how customers can be. But I have always been fair, I know shops have to turn a profit. Some just tend to be a bit more greedy about what constitutes a decent profit.

I took in a barely used glock 23. Now it wasn't just a pistol. I had a drop in 357 sig barrel, plus 5 mags, I had put some trigger parts in it, guide rod with wolff springs, holster and mag carrier. Still had all the original parts, plus some I had not used. Original box and everything that came with it. He had a S&W M&P compact in 40, something he was having issues moving, no extra nothing. He still wanted $120. Gave me the song and dance about the holster is out of the package so worthless, the barrel was worthless, etc. etc. Ok fine. Well the place near me took my package deal even trade for a NIB FNS-40, and unloaded my gun in less than 2 days. He didn't complain about not making any money. And that S&W compact 40 is still in his case, I can buy the same gun thru my local shop for $60 less.

I asked my friend about the inventory, he blamed it all on the distributors, just cant get it. Place near me has no such issues. But last I was in there friday, he asked as I was buying a soda, anything you need since I am doing an order? yea some blue dot powder. I cant even get AR parts thru my friend.

Boolit Master
    I used to go to a shop like that, unfortunately it was 20 miles to the nearest decent LGS. The employees were great but the owner was a jerk. I got to know one of them and he once told me "it wouldn't be hard for us to keep customers if [the owner] would stop driving them away."
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Moderator Emeritus

My Liberal Brother likes to say (and I'm paraphrasing, because I don't like his terminology), that people who are firearms enthusiasts are disproportionately represented by angry middle aged men. As much as I dislike it, I'm afraid he has a point and Tackleberry41's friend and Boss are evidence to it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I think that some small gun shops think in terms of profit on each item and not rate of return on invested capital. I think they also don't understand that the greater volume the do with a distributor the better deal they will get from the distributor.

I have seen many places with a item on the shelf for many months, better they sold it for a loss and used the cash to buy stuff that would turn over and make more sales. Sell it today for a loss, buy something that will move and sell for a profit in less than a month, make back the loss then buy something else that will move and sell for a profit and you are money ahead of where you would be with the White Elephant on the shelf.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

The days of traditional brick and mortar stores is numbered. You can sell your guns online and buy anything you want the same way. Same goes for ammo and components. We just need local FFL holders that operate out of their homes to do the gun transfers.

Moderator Emeritus

on the shelf for a while...

My LGS has a new Henry steel frame 357M, with big lever loop. It's been on the shelf for over 6 months. I've been waiting and watching for a 41 Mag Henry to show up there, as promised and all I see is that 357, one of these days it's gonna follow me home. The price started at $699, and I think it's now down to $629...seems like a good price?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    on the shelf for a while...

My LGS has a new Henry steel frame 357M, with big lever loop. It's been on the shelf for over 6 months. I've been waiting and watching for a 41 Mag Henry to show up there, as promised and all I see is that 357, one of these days it's gonna follow me home. The price started at $699, and I think it's now down to $629...seems like a good price?
    Yes.

Concerning prices, the shop has to make money. They may or may not know how to do that.

A retail business is a flow. It should come in then go out with a customer. If it doesnt, you are not making money.

At the shop I recently worked for, we had a lot of 22lr of various types. We also checked the suppliers many times daily. When 22lr popped up, it might only be on there for a few minutes. We had people calling all the time and would come from 50 miles away to get 22lr from us.

The gun business is not easy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    My Liberal Brother likes to say (and I'm paraphrasing, because I don't like his terminology), that people who are firearms enthusiasts are disproportionately represented by angry middle aged men. As much as I dislike it, I'm afraid he has a point and Tackleberry41's friend and Boss are evidence to it.
    Unfortunately it is very true. Such people tend to purge their ranks of anyone 'liberal', then everyone agrees with them. Im the most 'liberal' guy he will talk to. I guarantee the liberals I know say I am just another conservative gun nut. But I do not see the world in absolutes, been to many places to see it that way anymore. My local gun shop, I know they are conservative, but stick to the business at hand, we get along fine. My friend and his boss, well its a deciding factor. And they are very stuck in a rut. Also terribly uninformed, I will ask 'did you see this in the news'? Has no idea what Im talking about 'oh communist news, g*******n liberals'. Its still news, just avoided on some channels as it does not look good for the cause, doesn't mean it didnt happen.

I would think as a business, you would not get to particular about who you sold to, money is money. Well not to obviously screwy people. But who cares how someone votes, they want to buy a gun, sell em one. Not say 'oh your his liberal friend so lets see how I can screw you on the deal'. He had a chance to get rid of 2 weapons he cant sell for ones he could. Still stuck with them 6 mo later. He gave me the 'you dont understand' speech, how he has to make money. Um yea, it was the same shop that took in the screwed up mosin that I ended up paying $50 for. No idea what anybody was thinking taking it for trade. The scope had visible aluminum foil shims, and wasnt even screwed down tight. This custom left hand stock, had a bulged chamber so worthless, except parts. He tried to get more out of it, funny how it works, I have a left hand stock 'that aint worth much'. He has it 'well its custom'. He had $250 in it. I let them sit on it a while, before 'what will you give me for it'? $50, the stock is butchered, can be fixed. But the guy didnt bother to sand it after using a rasp, come on. And wont fit my other mosins. The timney trigger has value to me, and the mount/bent bolt. The rifle its Finnish, but needs a barrel, so whats a mosin action worth anymore? Had this huge muzzle brake, thats $90 new, but wont fit much, couldn't get rid of it on ebay for $40. The scope is NcStar, so worthless. "But a liberal doesnt understand economics, a business needs to make money." Maybe, but I know what a bubba'd Mosin is worth.

I worked in a service industry working with general population customers all day long. My rule was Don't tell me what political party you agree with, what church you visit, who you sleep with and I won't tell you because we do not need to know that information in order to do business. Then if you insist on telling then you'd better be ready to find we do not agree.

Was at a local gun show yesterday and I was wearing a sports team hat and sweatshirt. Had a complete stranger come up to me and asked if I'd lost a bet. I gave him a look and plainly stated NO! and walked away. I'm sure he thought be was being cute.

We also have a newer local gun store that seems to be struggling. I believe most of it is the guy doesn't have enough capital because he seems to be a nice guy with reasonable pricing. Also believe most of his business is in classes. Then there is another new store a few towns away that is going gangbusters.

Boolit Master

When a shop tells you we cannot get any it means We do not buy enough from the supplier to get us any so no sorrow for them.

Labels are a dangerous thing, I spent many years working with a man who was a classic old school democrat. His father had been a union worker and he was first in his family to go to college. He was also staunchly pro gun and pro hunting. He was in a position where he routinely had to follow legal precedent that was repugnant to his personal beliefs but he did so because he swore an oath. He drove an old truck, wore overalls, and grew most of his food. He was and remains one of the finest men I have ever known.

Heck at one time a liberal was a person who said kings didn't rule by divine right and a republic was the way to go.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

We had a local gun shop that for about 6 months advertised his opening and great low prices. I went to the shop when it opened, he had several used rifles and shotguns, one caught my eye. I checked the serial # and he wanted near new price. Well every month I stopped in and looked but the gun never sold. My point is 1 yr after opening he closed the doors, just was not selling enough guns for it to be worth while. Bad management closes more doors than most things. Too bad to he had some nice older guns.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Moderator Emeritus

My LGS has a huge turnover and he does a lot of internet business, see something grab it because it will be gone next week!

In Remembrance
    I guess I just don't understand why anybody would go into a gun shop and mention the fact they are a liberal, I mean what would a guy be talking about that thet would be brought up to someone that is obviously not.

I refuse to do business with several businesses that openly donate too and support liberal causes, even when it means I might be spending more elsewhere.
    I do not watch movies or television shows that have rabid liberal actors in them, just plain refuse to support them, so they can support their agenda.

There is probably a law against a shop owner refusing to do business with a person because of their political beliefs, we sure know they can not turn down a ***** just because they are *****, but their is no law against pricing their stuff high, or even being rude, and money isn't everything.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I guess I just don't understand why anybody would go into a gun shop and mention the fact they are a liberal, I mean what would a guy be talking about that thet would be brought up to someone that is obviously not.

I refuse to do business with several businesses that openly donate too and support liberal causes, even when it means I might be spending more elsewhere.
    I do not watch movies or television shows that have rabid liberal actors in them, just plain refuse to support them, so they can support their agenda.

There is probably a law against a shop owner refusing to do business with a person because of their political beliefs, we sure know they can not turn down a ***** just because they are *****, but their is no law against pricing their stuff high, or even being rude, and money isn't everything.
    Liberal has lost most of its meaning. Now its anything slightly left of ones own personal ideas. Im pretty sure those loons at the westboro baptist church would say even staunch conservatives are g*******n liberals. Now my friend, used to be a bit more open minded, but has made a hard swerve to the right at some point. Long time friends just roll their eyes anymore at stuff he says, we did not suddenly become liberals. More than a few have stopped talking to him. It does get old being called a liberal all the time. Or the other day he asked me why I defend liberals, whatever that even is anymore. Uumm because they have the same rights as he does, its not about defending them, just that we are all entitled to an opinion. I served in the marines, it wasnt to defend some people, but everybody. Had someone told me when I signed up, 'Oh hey your only really fighting for conservatives, screw everybody else' needless to say I would not have done it. Let them fight for it if its so important.

Sorry Starmac but you pretty much prove my case. I have NEVER discussed politics with his boss, he is basing it all on what his employee says. I have never voted democrat contrary to what he might think. But I should get a **** deal because he thinks I am whatever, real open minded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast