Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Long Slide recoil springs?

Boolit Master

Long Slide recoil springs?

Why would a long slide require a different recoil spring? It seems silly to ask at first but since the spring ultimately is squeezed down to the same size no matter how long the slide, why would it matter? If the spring is long enough to push reasonably against the plug, and it is, why would it matter? Maybe the initial velocity of the slide would be greater because there would be less static pressure?

I saw that Wolff offers Long Slide springs. I ordered one anyway because I'm going to run 45 Super loads and they offer a very heavy, long spring specifically for Long Slides.

I've been happily shooting my Para 45 Long Slide that I put on a Pro-Custom frame for some time now with no problems at all. The barrel is a 6" Kart with a C/P ramp that will shortly be Magnaported.

I've ordered 500 Star-Line 45 Super cases, heavier Wolff springs, recoil (28#), XXP firing pin and XP STI magazine springs. I run STI mags. I've also added a Nowlin 6" guide rod as well as a shock buff.

I'll be using 185 gr Sierra FP bullets.

I have a 45 Rowland kit in another 1911 so I'm familiar with high powered 45 acp's. I'm coming to the conclusion that long slides might just be more reliable than comped pistols....at least that's how this is starting to look.
    [

Boolit Master
    More weight, simply put. If you significantly change the mass of a moving part, you will need to change the forces that it acts on or that act on it to get the same end result. In cars, for instance, heavier wheels require more effort to accelerate than lighter wheels of the same size. In AR15s, a cure for excesaive gas or cycle rate is a heavier bolt or buffer/spring combo to offset the gas pressure, often to tune for suppressed fire. Similarly, if you add extra weight in the form of a longer slide, you may need heavier duty springs to ensure good function and to prevent excessive wear on the frame, given that objects in straight-line motion tend to keep at it.

Boolit Grand Master

Some good discussion here: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=340268

Post #7 is spot on.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-04-2016 at 06:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have no knowledge of long slide 1911's but remember that the recoil spring is also in charge of returning the slide into battery. If the spring is weak or too short there might be an issue getting full lock up on the next round.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Some good discussion here: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=340268

Post #7 is spot on.
    I was going to ignore looking into the specifics of a recoil spring for Long Slides but after reading this I'm glad I ordered the Wolff #1 recoil specifically for Long Slides. The Wolff #1 is the heaviest that Wolff makes. Since I'm going with 45 Super I think it will be a good starting point.

Here's my recipe I'm going to follow to shoot 45 Super, in no particular order.
    1. Increased mass of long slide
    2. Wolff #1 recoil spring for long slides
    3. Shock buff
    4. Wolff extra power firing pin spring
    5. Starline 45 Super brass
    6. Over sized firing pin stop with minimum bevel
    7. Ramped Kart Barrel with full case head support
    8. Wolff extra power magazine spring for STI mags
    9. Nowlin full length guide rod
    10. Magnaported barrel and slide
    11. Hogue grips with finger grooves

More than this I can't do. In fact, someone is going to say this is overkill. The gun has other mods but the above are specifically related to shooting 45 Super loads.
    Last edited by AbitNutz; 09-04-2016 at 02:16 PM.
    [

Boolit Master

flat rather than beveled firing pin retainer? That can greatly slow down the slide.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, that would be #6. I've done that and I guess it works. it didn't seem to hurt.
    [