MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Debate is Over

Boolit Master

The Debate is Over

In a recent thread about killing a grizzly bear with a 9mm, and all who applauded the great and wonderful feat, the debate is over. Now you can enter any forest where grizzly bears roam and feel confident and safe with a single shot 22 rifle.

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/what...#axzz4IuNqj0O0

For myself, I'd want something on par with the job at hand.
    Last edited by Hickory; 09-04-2016 at 02:31 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

The debate has just begun, get the popcorn out!!

Vendor Sponsor

I don't know if the stats still stand but the 22LR kills more people in the US every year than any other caliber, 12ga shotgun is second.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

If a Grizzly Bear attacks you in the woods, what is the best gun to shoot it with? Why the one you have with you of course!!

(Personally, I don't care to pre-season my Mountain Lion, Bear, etc.. with pepper spray)
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Man
    I think as far as self defense rounds go I've always been in the 45 ACP camp. And to me, the argument has been settled when the Marines on the pointiest tip of the spear said that their 9mm pistols were not cutting it and the Marine Corps ordered the new Colt M45A1 CQB for the newly formed Marine Raiders. Now I just wish I had an extra $1600 to buy one...

Say, did you ever hear the one about little silver jingle bells and pepper spray?

Vendor Sponsor

All you need is a sprinkling of liberal fairly dust ..and the bear will go about its merry way
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

They say that a grizzly can hold it's own...'speed wise', with a quarter horse in a short run...still that won't be fast enough for him to get to me before I poop my pants so bad that he won't want anything to do with this old fat grey haired fart slinger!

I'm gonna carry just a big stick and a change of drawers...charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I once watched a 400# fat black bear run down a healthy full grown doe over open ground in S. Kalifornia. Can't imagine a grizzly being slower.

Boolit Grand Master

Killing under ideal or lucky circumstances is one thing. Stopping shots under less than ideal or unlucky circumstances total different matter.

Boolit Master
    Well, obviously .22 rimfire is plenty for Grizz. I note that the bear was dead and everyone else was alive. Proof enough.*

And I encourage anyone who believes that to act accordingly.

* http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

Boolit Buddy
    The 22lr round is adequate if used properly. You use it to shoot your hiking buddy in the knee. You can't outrun the bear but...

About 15 years ago I lived well out in the countryside. A neighbor phoned one day and asked if I seen the mountain lion hanging around my upper pasture. She said that she'd seen it on three different afternoons during the past week when driving past on the county road. This gave me pause for thought, as I walked up my lane to my mailbox every afternoon. This gave me the wonderful opportunity to buy another pistol just perfectly suited for mountain lion defense, and I found the perfect thing, an S&W Lew Horton special Mod. 629 with a 3 inch Magnaported barrel. Short, potent, easy to carry. Of course, I did have another dozen handguns that would have served the purpose just as well. Never did see the lion, but after owning it for about two years a couple of the gun guys and I went shooting up in the mountains and the 629 proved a real revelation. I took careful aim and fired one off. There was a blinding flash, although it was broad daylight, an ear splitting roar due to the porting, and the thing recoiled muzzle straight up almost like I was aiming for a bird. The concussion made me feel like my nose was about to bleed. Somewhat in shock, I decided to bear down on it and the second shot was just like the first. I just kind of numbly handed it to the guy on my right. He fired one shot and handed it to the guy on his right, who did the same, and returned it to me with two rounds still in the cylinder. They politely declined to fire the remaining two rounds. I know David Crockett named his rifle "Ol' Betsy," or so the story goes. This one got put back in the box with a label that says, "The Beast." And there it resides to this day. So, based on this experience of flash, concussion , and recoil I'm thinking that probably like a .45 Colt or .45 ACP would be the way to go. As fast as bears charge, I doubt if I'd be able to re-acquire the target and get a second shot off with The Beast. The 9mm wouldn't be my first choice, but it worked for him! Bears have pretty thick skulls and getting a .22 L.R. into the brain would be luck.

Boolit Master
    Again, the key issue in the Shoemaker story seems to escape people.

The debate is not whether 9mm worked or not. It did work.

The issue is that it was irresponsible for a guide to take clients into the area with a 9mm pistol for their defense. In that case, the fact that it worked, this time, is not good enough.

As individuals, we should use whatever damn thing we want to for bear defense, from gentle chastisement to sprays, sling shots, pistols, and even things that might stop a charging bear. As a guide, with a responsibility to provide best efforts at defending the client, carrying a 9mm "because it's more convenient" is a gross dereliction of duty. A client should have the reasonable expectation that his/her guide will use the best defense mechanism reasonably practical, not the most comfortable one that might work.

I understand that fending off a grizz attack and killing the bear with a 9mm pistol is the stuff of guide legend so I get Shoemaker making much of it, but the fact remains that he made a poor decision and had a lucky outcome.

Boolit Master
    There are lots of stories about bears taking multiple hits. To the skull with .357 and even .45 HANDguns..some9mm loads out penetrate those rounds. And the auto has more rounds on tap then the revolver..I would prefer to pack my own defensive arm. If legal

If makes any difference, I once knew a fella that scared off a bear with a pen knife after having a five hundred dollar after dinner drink.

Never did figure out where the bear got that much money.

More popcorn please!

Boolit Buddy
    They were acting like cats-ambush predators. Knowing that they were cornered they waited till the last moment they could assure a surprise shot with the best chance of a kill and took it.

Can it be done? Yes, under the right circumstances. I'll bet they wouldn't have gone grizzly hunting deliberately with a .22 though...

Best case situation executed by a skilled shooter and a spotter-their success was due to their awareness of their surroundings.

Not something I'd want to try to repeat myself...certainly not on purpose.

Caught in the same situation I could only pray that I could do as well!
    Last edited by Capt. Methane; 08-31-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    Here is a rather interesting article on handgun stopping power. Take the time to read the data and understand we are talking humans here some may frankly have been very doped up on PCPs. The point does relate to the recycling of this story.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...stopping-power

Banned
    You don't need a gun at all...simple wait till the bear is close and kick him in the nutz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast