Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman Turbo 1200 Tumbler Died

Lyman Turbo 1200 Tumbler Died

Well, it's a sad day here. My Lyman tumbler (that I bought in 1986) gave up the ghost yesterday. I filled it too full with a bunch of .45 ACP brass and added some Nu-finish to the Walnut media. That was just too much for it and the motor fried. I've found a new one at Amazon and will order it in the next couple of days. I've got a Franklin Arsenal one and a Sonic Cleaner so don't really need it, but liked the old one as it did a bang up job. Do any of you have a new one of these and if so how are they holding up? Thanks all, J.

I do, and the motor quit after about a month of medium use. I sent it back to Lyman and they fixed it, so all is well...

Boolit Master

Get a Thumler's Model B and 5# of pins, and don't look back!
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy

Have been using Lyman 1200 Pro units for 20 years.
    Two of them have cleaned/polished over 38,000 pieces of brass (9mm to 45 ACP) over the years.
    Still here, although a bit scruffy.

Boolit Buddy

I have one and it is on its 19th year!! Cant even guess how many 5 gallon pails of brass have been through that thing!
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master

I'm not knocking Lyman. I had a 3200 without the self draining feature for over 20 years. That thing was huge!

Unfortunately it died this year, and I find that wet tumbling is faster and most importantly, quieter! It also cleans the inside of the case like new.

If my shooting picks up enough that the little Model B can't keep up, I'll get another large wet drum system.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    There is One simple solution with Tumblers "Lortone"
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Yeah, mine was bought before the UK handgun ban so it'll be 20 years plus now....

Only problem quite early on was the weight on the rotor loosened and the vibration stopped... Lashed it tight with cable ties and never looked back....

Now using a 2 step process... Ultra sonic to clean, Lyman to polish....

I get really shiny brass.....
    May we achieve our aims....

A little tumbler safety warning. I know the directions say not to leave it unattended but how many of us actually sit and watch the tumbler? I HAD a Franklin Armory tumbler that I got back in the late 80's/early 90's. Doing a bunch of 44mag cases and had it running out in the detached garage around 1999/2000. Opened the door to find a wall of black smoke with a little bit of flickering light about where the tumbler was. Opened the overhead door to clear the smoke and put the fire out with a dry chem extinguisher. Where the tumbler had been was a pool of what looked like melted blue wax with an electric motor and walnut media with cases in it. A puddle of the flaming blue goo had run several feet and started a Plano tackle box on fire. Spritzed everything down with a hose to cool it and surveyed the damage. Lost a bunch of 45acp and 44mag cases. Had to dip many more in vinegar to stop the dry chem from corroding them as washing them with water just seemed to make it worse. The tackle box was a pretty big one and one corner was melted leaving a hole. Patched it with duct tape and used it up until this year when I finally decided two big boxes were better than one huge one. If that tackle box would of completely burned it would of taken the garage as it was near some boxes and an outside wall. Got a Hornady unit and only run it in the center of the concrete barn floor with nothing around it for at least 8'.

On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Old page. The 3200 parts are out of stock, and have been for years. Lyman really needs to update that page.
    A few musings.

Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post

I saw that link but, found I can buy a complete unit for $20.00 more. I figure I'll go that route. I.m using a Frankford Arsenal (with Walnut) and a Lyman Sonic cleaner so Im still getting nice & shiny brass.

I'm still working with a Midway 1292 from the late 80's or very early 90's.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

I got this one in 86 or early 87 and it's tumbled untold numbers of brass for me with no problem until now. I it overloaded to begin with and then put in some wet Nu finish wax and I think the combination was just too much for it. I got my money's worth from it and will get another here soon. Right now I'm using my neglected SC (Lyman) and it's doing a pretty good job.

Boolit Master
    Must just be the year for then to die. Have a Midway and FA that are dead.

Boolit Master
    Thanks all I would need is a fire. lost count on how many time I have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    A little tumbler safety warning. I know the directions say not to leave it unattended but how many of us actually sit and watch the tumbler? I HAD a Franklin Armory tumbler that I got back in the late 80's/early 90's. Doing a bunch of 44mag cases and had it running out in the detached garage around 1999/2000. Opened the door to find a wall of black smoke with a little bit of flickering light about where the tumbler was. Opened the overhead door to clear the smoke and put the fire out with a dry chem extinguisher. Where the tumbler had been was a pool of what looked like melted blue wax with an electric motor and walnut media with cases in it. A puddle of the flaming blue goo had run several feet and started a Plano tackle box on fire. Spritzed everything down with a hose to cool it and surveyed the damage. Lost a bunch of 45acp and 44mag cases. Had to dip many more in vinegar to stop the dry chem from corroding them as washing them with water just seemed to make it worse. The tackle box was a pretty big one and one corner was melted leaving a hole. Patched it with duct tape and used it up until this year when I finally decided two big boxes were better than one huge one. If that tackle box would of completely burned it would of taken the garage as it was near some boxes and an outside wall. Got a Hornady unit and only run it in the center of the concrete barn floor with nothing around it for at least 8'.

Boolit Buddy
    I got that one; I'm pretty sure Midway recalled all of them because they were catching fire. I never sent mine back, but I only run it on the concrete garage floor with the doors open. Plus a timer that I set for 3 hours; I could never see letting it run all night!

Maybe mine was one with the fix and I bought it later than I think. I seem to remember checking in to that years ago and thinking mine was not one of the effected ones.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Wow, you were fortunate that it was not worse!

Motors are supposed to have thermal and/or over current protection built in to them.