Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: What do you Guys think???

Smile What do you Guys think???

I've been powder coating (Shake+Bake) for awhile now with great success.
    I coat/load/shoot: .38/.357, 9MM, .40 S&W, and .45acp. for now.

My newest idea is with this mold: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/340...truncated-cone

I plan to cast/paint/load these in a--(Wait for It)...--.357 Sig ???

What do you guys think about it??....Bill.
    Outdoor Sportsman For Life

Happiness is a GREAT Sprue

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have used that profile and did not care for it at all sold the mold and never looked back others have stated its a picky profile to work with also. You may find it fits your need perfect but I would lean towards a round nose if feeding is a worry just my 2 cents.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

In Remembrance

Not my own casting experience, BUT..............I sent this 6-cav mold to a friend as a present for his 9mm and he reports extreme happiness. I've shot his reloads of this boolit from his CZ pistol and it functions perfectly.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    I have used that profile and did not care for it at all sold the mold and never looked back others have stated its a picky profile to work with also. You may find it fits your need perfect but I would lean towards a round nose if feeding is a worry just my 2 cents.
    Thanks RP--Here's the thing-The .357 Sig has a VERY short area of case neck. It requires a bullet profile with straight walls. When you seat a "Standard" RN 9MM bullet, with the tapered profile, you do not get much neck tension, thus the chance of bullet set back.
    The Sig seems to perform well with the TC profile, and this bullet seems to have long/straight sides..???...Bill.
    Last edited by BILLYBOB44; 08-21-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I've used that boolit in my 357 Sig with great results. Some AA #7 and a light crimp in the top band and it holds em securely.
    Accurate too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ia.redneck View Post
    I've used that boolit in my 357 Sig with great results. Some AA #7 and a light crimp in the top band and it holds em securely.
    Accurate too!
    Good deal Ia.RN..Have you tried the Powder Coated version of this projectile??
    Shot a few 125gr. Montana Gold HP's over BlueDot today..NICE powerful load...Bill.

Boolit Buddy

Yes I have. I use Smoke's powders and size at .357 for a Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 23. The 357 Sig is a great round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ia.redneck View Post
    Yes I have. I use Smoke's powders and size at .357 for a Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 23. The 357 Sig is a great round.
    THAT is what I wanted to hear RN..I have used All Powder Paint on my 9's,.38's,40's, and .45acp's. I DO also size my 9MM (after paint) to .357".
    I got into the .357 Sig by the way of buying a Storm Lake Sig barrel for a Glock 35, and placing it into my Glock 22 assembly. Yeah, it sticks out from the slide a little, but I found out today that it DOES work..HA HA...THANKS AGAIN...Bill.

Boolit Bub
    I've not gotten into loading for .357 sig, but that exact bullet is my abosolute favorite to PC for 9mm. Works a ton better for PCing than RNs with my method of PCing.

I've got the same 6 gang mold except not the tumble coat version. feeds in every 9mm i have and the neighbors. actually it is a very forgiving profile. feeds as good as a round nose. even played with it in a .380 and had good results.

Question Boolts just TOO slick....

The bullets from the above mold cast, painted, sized (to .357") well.

Problem is they are just TOO slick for the NARROW case neck. I can not get good tension, even with a good size, very slight expand, proper seat, and crimp with Lee Factory Crimp die.
    I can push them back by hand without too much pressure.

The expander plug in my RCBS size die mic out @ .353" and I sanded, polished it down to .350", and still not enough tension.

I KNOW not a good idea, but the only thing that seems to help is a just under Max charge of BlueDot, or 800-X. I know this because on Max charge of these powders, the bullet wants to push out for too long of OAL (Over 1.145").
    I guess?? if I could find the amount of charge that would compress just enough to hold the bullet up to the 1.145", it would be as good as I can go for this bullet.

FWIW: My RCBS .357 Sig dies will load Montana gold 125gr. HP, and 124gr. Hornady XTP with great neck tension, with Max load of BlueDot, and 800-X, so I know it is not a die condition, but a "Slick" bullet condition..

Any ideas??..Thanks in advance..Bill.
    Last edited by BILLYBOB44; 09-04-2016 at 07:39 PM.