RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: "Bad" powder coat appearance/"Good" Coverage

"Bad" powder coat appearance/"Good" Coverage

Coated about 500 401-175-TC's starting at about 6AM while it was still cool and the humidity may have been up a bit. I haven't been PC'ing for several months. The HF red usually sticks nice and thick with ASBBDT but these boolits have been sitting in the garage for about 6 months and the coverage was thin at best. I tried pre-baking a batch and the coverage was still poor:

You can see the speckled texture on the face of the bullet and the drive bands

HOWEVER

After I put them through the sizer, the drive bands were smooth and flawless. Look at the reflection of the light on the sized portion. That's all that matters when sealing off the gases and preventing gas cutting as the boolit goes down the barrel. Of course that also assumes the barrel grooves are narrower than the drive bands (mine are by about 0.5 to 1.0 mils).

Will it win any beauty contests or be mistaken for commercial ammo? No, but no one will notice at 1000 fps out of my M&P40 and the barrel will stay clean. I've had this happen before and the bullets performed just fine. It is certainly not worth it to do a second coat or melt them down just for aesthetics.

If you can see that the polymer has fully coated the bullet, run a few through the sizer to see if you actually have full coverage of the powder coat even if the color is not uniform.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Exactly! As long as the driving bands are coated when sized, and no raw lead is showing through, you are good to go..... everything else is just for looks.
    Let em rip!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    Mine do that too. They are orange peel-ish. But after resize they are perfect.

I'm just too anal, I want them smooth and pretty, that's why I spray them. If I'm going to go to all the trouble of casting and coating my own boolits, I want them to make me smile. Goofy old wierdo that I am.....

In Remembrance

Judging by what I have experienced recently in MY OWN shake-and-bake attempts, it very much matters how clean your detergent washed the oily residues out of your #5 tub. Leaving them to 'soak' a day or so before rinsing well and drying excessively seems to make ALL the difference in MY doin's. YMMV. Two powders that didn't seem to 'coat well'' performed beautifully AFTER I CHANGED TO SUCH TUBS.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I'm just too anal, I want them smooth and pretty, that's why I spray them. If I'm going to go to all the trouble of casting and coating my own boolits, I want them to make me smile. Goofy old wierdo that I am.....
    x2,

makes zero difference in performance, but I like mine to look good too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Be nice if we could just coat the bearing surfaces...
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!