MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best color for optimal coverage using Hi-Tek?

Boolit Buddy

Best color for optimal coverage using Hi-Tek?

I am going to try Hi-Tek for the first time. I can't find an answer to this question in the archives but its likely there somewhere. So what is the best color to select for optimal coverage for only TWO coats, not three coats?

Banned

the best I have seen is the red with 3 coats.
    you should be able to get by with 2 if your fitment is good and your coverage is complete.

Boolit Master
    Red copper, Gold 1035, Candy Apple red, Red 122K, Kryptonite Green, Bronze 500.

DDR was great, but the Mods didn't like it.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

hey you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Boolit Master
    ok I gotta ask, why only 2 coats? Bronze 500 has been the most consistent for me.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    I have had great success with the black and black 1035, first coat is very thin, next 2 or 3 coats can be heavier but not toooo heavy that rhe coating looks like it has texture. They should be even in color and smooth looking. I tend to run thinner coats and if needed do additional coats.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    ok I gotta ask, why only 2 coats? Bronze 500 has been the most consistent for me.
    I figure, if I am going to try this stuff it has to be easier than PC to make it worth my time. I figure if I have to do 3 coats I might as well stay with one coat PC. None the less I plan to give it a try.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    I figure, if I am going to try this stuff it has to be easier than PC to make it worth my time. I figure if I have to do 3 coats I might as well stay with one coat PC. None the less I plan to give it a try.
    Makes sense. With hitek I don't have to spend time picking them out of bbs or standing them up so that saves me a lot of time. I swirl enough at a time to do 2-3 trays of baking.

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the best I have seen is the red with 3 coats.
    you should be able to get by with 2 if your fitment is good and your coverage is complete.
    Which red? They have 4 of them.

What do you mean by "if your fitment is good"?

Banned

the candy apple color.

fitment between the boolit and your gun.
    your still shooting lead here, and fit is king in the make or break department.
    adding a coating is not a cure-all to poor fitment or a diameter issue.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone recovered any hi tech Boolits and has the rifling cut through the hi tech paint? I've recovered several of my PC Boolits and have never had any PC Boolits that exposed any lead through the paint.

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone tried the Hi-Tek or Powder Coating on 6.5 bullets used in an AR? My son and I have .264 LBC barrels on AR-15 lowers, and are building DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08 AR-10s. I'd like to avoid using Gas checks, if possible, and want the benefits of less smoke, and clean bores from a coated bullet.

Regards,

Smitty

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    Has anyone recovered any hi tech Boolits and has the rifling cut through the hi tech paint? I've recovered several of my PC Boolits and have never had any PC Boolits that exposed any lead through the paint.
    There have been some recovered pictures I've seen and it does indeed cut into the coating. I've had it scraped off when trying to size down too much but I just tossed another coat on after sizing. As it didn't lead my barrel at all or cause me any other issues I considered them good to go still.

Thanks Yall!

Yep, .44-40 from my rifle and .38sp from my revolvers, all have been cut through by the rifling lands. I'm using recovered range scrap, hardness around 12-15 BHN. No leading in the barrels.
    All boolits are sized .001 over bore size.

Don't know why, but I have never needed 3 coats of any of the HT colours... all good @ 2
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Me too. I can't be bothered doing three coats 'cos they work fine with two. I figure the only thing a third coat will give me is probably a deeper colour.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Don't know why, but I have never needed 3 coats of any of the HT colours... all good @ 2
    i dunno, I use light coats to get good coverage. After 2 coats I size, and coat a 3rd time if needed.

Thanks Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Smitty View Post
    Has anyone tried the Hi-Tek or Powder Coating on 6.5 bullets used in an AR? My son and I have .264 LBC barrels on AR-15 lowers, and are building DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08 AR-10s. I'd like to avoid using Gas checks, if possible, and want the benefits of less smoke, and clean bores from a coated bullet.

Regards,

Smitty
    I have a mold for my 6.8 in an AR. With HT, couldn't keep them in 8" circle @ 50yds. With PC, I am getting 3" groups at 100yds. I think I can get it a bit better tweaking alloy, no gc.
    With handgun, two coats of Cherry red, bronze or zombie green works fine. Maybe 3 coats for the rifle would help??
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Red brick or brick red it is called is a good color. Thin coats x 3 for perfect results. 4.5 oz acetone, 16 grams powder per batch. Place on racks just prior to getting sticky and spread out. Let them touch they wont stick. Some that are base to base may. When recoating, the more movement of the green coated bullets the worse the finish. I dont wait for them to dry. Place in oven, convection type is best, leave open for two minute to get rid of evaporator. 15 min in my oven at 375. When recoating make sure bullets are cold. Grab a handfull and feel for heat gain.. If you notice heat gain wait. Use a five gallon bucket. Place on floor. Lean bucket and pile them in the bottom of the bucket against the side wall. Add coating on bullet. Leave bucket on floor a brisckly rotate left/ right forwards and backwards. Dont shake. Pulling the bullets away from each other just prior to the coating setting makes them rough. Watch as you do this and you will see a point when the coating begins to coat the bullets evenly and you will see that the bottom of the bucket is wet approaching dry. Get them out now before total evaporation and the stickies begin. Spread them out a little and take your hands off and bake. Oster convetion a 5 year warranty. Works great. Regular oves wont give you color repeatablity. Walmart. Thats the one i used to start and they work like a champ. Has two racks. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    I went with black for my first try with Hi-Tek. Two coats covered just fine. Thanks for all of your help and encouragement. Here is my experience.