RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrap lead price

Boolit Master

Scrap lead price

I was in a salvage yard two ago and I read on the board that they were only paying $.15 a pound for lead and only $.10 if it was dirty. I didn't ask if they would sell any. I think the goment wants lead to disappear, except in electric cars. In that case it is not a hazard.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I wold have asked about buying some from them.

worst they can do is say 'no' or slick the dogs or you
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Round these parts the buying and selling prices are usually about a buck part! And you being in CA, they probably will not sell to the general public.

"Ask and ye shall find out".

banger

Boolit Master
    Walter, the last thing I need is more lead. I have more lead, lyno and solder than I will ever cast. I worked for the phone company when they were still using lead cable. A few months ago a friend gave me over a hundred pounds of hard cast muzzle loading bullets and they are still in the buckets I carried them home in. I thought of selling them but shipping cost makes it a lot of work for little money.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

according to the re claimer I talked to, he is getting .64 per pound after shipping to st louis. around here if you can find a scrap yard that will sell to you its at least a buck a pound.

Has anyone heard of scrap yards in TX not being able to sell WWs to indivduals?
    Was told today by a yard that it is illegal to do so, if so, when did this happen?

Boolit Master
    I took some scrap metal to a local yard yesterday. Had 52 lbs of steel WW's, and 19 lbs of zinc WW's. Got all of 8 cents/lb, classified as miscellaneous lead, even though I told the man about the difference. They won't sell lead either, although the man did give me three 1lb ingots cast on a Lee mold. Pretty hard stuff, not shiny, but a few drops of muriatic did not produce bubbles, although it did stain the ingots.

Boolit Buddy
    The yard I work for is paying $.40 a pound to buy and sell to me for about $.60

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by borg View Post
    Was told today by a yard that it is illegal to do so, if so, when did this happen?
    I had the same story when I called, but after selling some other scrap to the yard they were more than willing to sell to me. Just gotta show up in person and give it a try.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Right you are. But down south the price is still high to buy. Like a buck a pound for WW. The price to sell is way down now. Go figure.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Yards have assorted reasons for not wanting to sell to the public. Buyers can be annoying. Liability of folks running around in the yard looking in bins. As other poster said, you go and you ask nicely, and move on if they don't sell. I heard the "insurance won't allow scrap yards to sell lead to the public" mile down the road another scrap yard sells to me with no problem.

I'm seeing $.75 to $1 most of the time when I purchase. Think the yards are paying less than $.40 with WW's down around $.30 - $.35 My scrap cases and spent primers got me $1 per pound for the brass.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by borg View Post
    I am in central Texas between San Antonio and Austin and have two local yards that will sell me all the wheel weights and junk lead I want. WW in one yard are 15 cents per pound but contain a very high percentage of iron and zinc wheel weights and trash. The other yard changes 28 cents pound but has a much higher percentage of lead WW and almost no trash. I stumbled across about 150 pounds of Linotype in the second yard this week for 70 cents per pound.

Boolit Buddy
    The yard I deal with has ww for .40 a pound. The owner got his lift and took a big box outside the building and let me get inside the 4'x4'x4' heavy duty cardboard box and dig out what I wanted. I picked out about 246 pounds of lead only ww and paid about $100. He was selling big pieces of soft lead for .60 a pound.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveSteamer View Post
    I am in central Texas between San Antonio and Austin and have two local yards that will sell me all the wheel weights and junk lead I want. WW in one yard are 15 cents per pound but contain a very high percentage of iron and zinc wheel weights and trash. The other yard changes 28 cents pound but has a much higher percentage of lead WW and almost no trash. I stumbled across about 150 pounds of Linotype in the second yard this week for 70 cents per pound.
    I think it is up to the individual yard as to whom they sell to. Mine was all roofing lead and had no issue selling. The other 2 I called didn't want to sell so i skipped. I have another large battery and some harddrives to recycle so I'll try again next week.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I generally pay $1.40/lb. - $1.80/lb. for scrap pure lead at the non-ferrous metal re-seller, It's "processed" scrap lead roof flashing, old telephone cable shields, X-Ray renovations, and other stuff that I could not readily identify such as 7/16 round lead rods and such. It's cheaper than the 99.99% certified pure ingots they sell.

I have not found any "recycling" business that would re-sell anything around here.

Here, when I go to Auburn the little scrapper there sells lead...I just got 130# of roof flashing for $1.00/lb. I didn't ask the price he pays, but I'll bet it ain't more than a quarter or less!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Mold
    I have a great deal of trouble finding lead in Northern Alberta. The easiest to find is fishing weights which are 10$ for a pound. Not cool. The hunt for lead is almost as entertaining as the actual deer hunting...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

My local yard sells "dirty" lead for $0.50 a lb. Local racers use lead in their cars for balance. So occasionally find large blocks from wrecked/unrepairable cars in their "clean" box. Not sure about that clean. Yard doesn't have xrf, so I pick through bucket/barrel of WW and pay the dirty price.

I'm sure glad I have what I need. The last time I bought any WW's was close to 10 years ago. I already had quiet a few. My last buy was 1,400 pounds. I have yet to use any it of that and still working with what I had/have. I paid $10 per 5 gallon bucket for them. I had no idea what was coming down the road, or I would have gone back (I was out of town visiting when I scored them) and picked up the rest.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

Still paying .60/lb for lead, ww doesnt matter what type of lead it is
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum