Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Who to modify shotgun barrel??

Boolit Master

Who to modify shotgun barrel??

Your recommendations gentlemen for a smith to cut off a remington 870 barrel and rethread for Remchokes in barrel now? Need an old barrel shortened for balance purposes.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

just as cheap to buy a new or used shorter barrel and keep the one you have intact.

Boolit Grand Master

Your smith will have to look at the barrel and measure it first. I do Carlson's chokes and I have seen a LOT of 870's with the bore off center or too thin for the Rem Chokes. For the Carlson we get $90.00 with two choke tubes extra tubes are 17.50.

Boolit Master
    You can not cut a Remington factory barrel down and rev thread with them chokes. There is not enough meet on the barrel, blues many bores are off center making the situation worse.
    You have about a 90% chance of using regular tru chokes though and and a greater chance with tru choke thin wall. Problem is each barrel must be measured and mic 'ed before cutting is done to determine that.
    I have tru choke tooling, and can do it. I charge $125 for the service returne shipped and if I can't do it due to a thin barrel, just $25 to ship it back.
    Pm me if interested.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of good advice here.
    When I wanted work done on a vintage Winchester, I called Mike Orlen.
    (413) 256-1630

Michael R Orlen
    79 Salem Street
    Amherst, MA 01002

Fair prices, quality work. His word is trusted in many circles.

Boolit Master

The barrel has factory remchokes now, so should be thick enough to rethread with 6" taken off??? This is a wingmaster with extended mag, so the 28" barrel with a full load in the mag makes it way frontheavy. Would like to use The remchokes as I have other guns that use them too, keep things simple if possible.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Moderator Emeritus

Charlie Boswell has retired now I understand, but the guys at Comp-n-Choke over in neighboring Screven Co. in SE Ga. do a great job. I had them ream my B-2000 barrel, which is chrome lined, and they did a marvelous job. Hand tools are generally used, but they have machines that help them keep concentricity with the bore, and mine turned out 100% dead on target! And yes, they DO in fact get installed sometimes not quite dead concentric, which necessitates some barrel bending. Lots of guys here shoot turkey shoots, and like to have an "edge." They'll find out what kind of shells are being used and select the tube that shoots them "in a wad" at the distance that particular host chooses, typically. Then they'll bend the barrel to a POI that only they know. Most have a rule that anybody can shoot any gun used in any heat in the match, and the offset POI lets them keep their advantage .... IF they're good enough to hit with the offset POI, at least.

Another good one is "Sum Toy" in the Lions/Vidalia area. Tell them what load you want, and what % you want it to shoot at what distance, and they'll deliver it to you! He's a budding entity, but many here swear by him, and he's really attaining a cult following here, especially among turkey hunters and card and turkey shooters (the target kind). Either should give you great results, and keep the gun shooting concentric to the bore - a bigger problem than many realize!

Boolit Master
    Generally no, many shotgun barrels are of an hourglass shape. Take a pair of calipers or mics and measure the od at the current muzzle and then where you want it to be. If they are the same then you have a shot if not then no.
    Also many barrels are not concentric in wall thickness and when you cut them back you end up with one side thinner than the other , if one sides to thin you can't do it
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master

I would check with Briley, I had their thinwall system installed in my 1100 20 ga, they did a nice job with quick turnaround. Send them your barrel, they will measure and tell you if it's doable.
    http://www.briley.com/c-408-choke-installation-faq.aspx
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Check out sumtoy customs, he's a very knowledgeable guy and will actually talk to you, and his prices are very reasonable.

Boolit Grand Master
    Kerry Allor in Michigan specializes in shotgun barrels. He does a lot of high end work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    Generally no, many shotgun barrels are of an hourglass shape. Take a pair of calipers or mics and measure the od at the current muzzle and then where you want it to be. If they are the same then you have a shot if not then no.
    Also many barrels are not concentric in wall thickness and when you cut them back you end up with one side thinner than the other , if one sides to thin you can't do it
    It really ought to be measured with a proper gunsmith's barrel thickness gauge, which is like a giant tuning fork with a dial gauge on one arm. Bores aren't always dead straight, and f you haven't owned this barrel from new someone may have polished out pits or unwisely raised a dent. The good news is that pump guns often have barrels thicker than they need to be for resisting pressure or denting, because the weight of a shotgun is largely governed by recoil. So it may well be fine.

I think I remember Brownells, long ago, listing choke tubes to be permanently soft soldered into a muzzle relieved by a shallower cut than threaded tubes would require. If these are still around or can be made, a barrel is unlikely to be too thin for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    I think I remember Brownells, long ago, listing choke tubes to be permanently soft soldered into a muzzle relieved by a shallower cut than threaded tubes would require. If these are still around or can be made, a barrel is unlikely to be too thin for them.
    Now there's a smart solution. I con't care much for threaded chokes - though I have a few. But in my humble opinion you tend to worry too much about what choke to use or not to use instead of just Shoot 'n' Be Happy.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    It really ought to be measured with a proper gunsmith's barrel thickness gauge, which is like a giant tuning fork with a dial gauge on one arm. Bores aren't always dead straight, and f you haven't owned this barrel from new someone may have polished out pits or unwisely raised a dent. The good news is that pump guns often have barrels thicker than they need to be for resisting pressure or denting, because the weight of a shotgun is largely governed by recoil. So it may well be fine.
    , long ago, listing choke tubes to be permanently soft soldered into a muzzle relieved by a shallower cut than threaded tubes would require. If these are still around or can be made, a barrel is unlikely to be too thin for them.
    yes but I doubt he has one. Nor a set of pin gauges, but it would show him what I'm trying to say that you can generally gut back a shotgun barrel and use rem or win chokes.
    Brownells still sells a silver solder screw on choke adapter that uses win chokes. That is an option but adds to the cost when just straight threading for tru chokes or thinwalll true chokes would work.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BwBrown View Post
    Lots of good advice here.
    When I wanted work done on a vintage Winchester, I called Mike Orlen.
    (413) 256-1630

Michael R Orlen
    79 Salem Street
    Amherst, MA 01002

Fair prices, quality work. His word is trusted in many circles.
    Yes good work time and price. You will get true choke though not Rem choke which to me is no big deal.