MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Container Homes

Container Homes

Anyone have any firsthand experience on container homes? I'm thinking of doing this as a getaway cabin and want the cabin to be tornado proof so any ideas for anchoring it. I also don't want to bury it as it won't be used for incognito purposes. My idea is to put 3-40' or 53' units together and remove the interior walls and design a floor plan around it.

Anyone have a link to "do it yourself" container home building they care to share? Just gathering information to see if this is reasonable to do.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    containers have holes on the corners at top and bottom to lock them together when stacked on top of each other... use those to anchor it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mica_Hiebert View Post
    containers have holes on the corners at top and bottom to lock them together when stacked on top of each other... use those to anchor it down.
    I'm thinking single story, at my age, I don't want steps. Kind of looking for types of footings that will stand up to tornados and anchor plate systems from the footings to the boxes. I can embed steel plates to the footings and weld the boxes to it or incorporate some kind of large bolts in order to re-level as needed.

I'm aware that soils have a friction bearing that has to be considered in order for a tornado not to suck the footings out of the ground and that skirting needs to be used to keep wind and critters out from underneath.

I've Googled floor plans for container homes and got some ideas but I'm looking for a 2 BR floor plan, 1-2 bath, along with washer, dryer, & hot water layout.

Thinking of perhaps 4 container wide also. There is a lot to learn and it may never happen, but imagination is free.

Slim
    Last edited by slim1836; 08-16-2016 at 05:51 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Keep posting Slim, very interesting and I keep saying someday myself..

Last edited by Artful; 08-17-2016 at 01:30 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Artful,

Wow, lots of info there. It's going to take a while to check all that out.

Thanks,

Slim

Banned
    I saw a program on TV where they welded a bunch of them together installed windows and doors and then proceeded to wire install plumbing and insulation. When it was done it looked like it made a nice house but costly to set them in place and weld everything together. One thing they stressed was different brand containers had different dimensions and one would be better off to purchase containers of a specific brand as they would go together easier.

Boolit Master

Tornadoes blow so much debris they will grind up and remove anything above slab level, not just destroy flimsy mobile homes.
    Small tornadoes might leave parts of the home so interior areas have places for survivors to shelter, but larger tornadoes can scour large areas down to slabs, curbs, roads, driveways and nothing else above ground level.
    I saw a housing tract after an F5 hit it. Unbelievable destruction.

Moderator Emeritus

Slim, My next door neighbor did exactly what you are wanting to do. He sprayed in insulation and put bedrooms on the two ends with the kitchen, den and bathroom in the middle......he went one step further and put an enclosed porch off the center of cabin.....looks great....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    Tornadoes blow so much debris they will grind up and remove anything above slab level, not just destroy flimsy mobile homes.
    Small tornadoes might leave parts of the home so interior areas have places for survivors to shelter, but larger tornadoes can scour large areas down to slabs, curbs, roads, driveways and nothing else above ground level.
    I saw a housing tract after an F5 hit it. Unbelievable destruction.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Don't know how big a tornado these guys faced

http://containerauction.com/read-new...s-and-tornados

Like mobile homes - have a hardened underground shelter to evacuate to.
    Last edited by Artful; 08-17-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    je suis charlie

In Remembrance
    A friend is just getting started on his. He bought 4 brand new ones the same demensions. These cost him 6 grand a piece, so 24 grand for a shell that still needs studs and insulation and all inside walls. I am sure some sort of truss system for the roof too. I am thinking for 24 grand, a guy can frame up a lot of walls. It would take something to handle condensation too, as it would likely be bad in an all metal structure.

As far as takeing a direct hit from a sizable tornadoe, good luck with that in any structure. Tornadoes are funny critters and downright destructive when they want to be, as in peel up the asphalt, side walks and even pull the grass out by the roots.

One of the reasons I'm thinking about container structures is the area I'm wanting to build is in the east Texas piney woods which has a high population of termites. Humidity is high also, but that can be controlled.

Containers seem to stand up to high wind loads if anchored well and mobile homes just end up with the floor left.

I could bury one on 3 sides for a shelter and shop.

Slim

Boolit Master
    Tagged for interest.

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    One of the reasons I'm thinking about container structures is the area I'm wanting to build is in the east Texas piney woods which has a high population of termites. Humidity is high also, but that can be controlled.

Containers seem to stand up to high wind loads if anchored well and mobile homes just end up with the floor left.

I could bury one on 3 sides for a shelter and shop.

Slim
    Oh, here's a shop build video you should see

Part 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvJJfmyV_ms

Another
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tedB6BixKH4

and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDyRh8ETUro

and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5gfJAdp3lg
    je suis charlie

Last edited by Artful; 08-19-2016 at 03:59 PM.
    je suis charlie

Artful,

Thanks for the input, enjoyed the videos and the anchoring information.

Slim

Here's another - homework never stops
    http://www.tincancabin.com/how-to-build/
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master

Every place you build has some risk of natural disasters. Down here in Houston / Gulf Coast area, our main concern is flooding. The tornadoes that we get are usually the smaller F0 or F1 ones. Being that you are up in the DFW area, you are probably not as concerned with flooding as you are with wind damage from stronger tornadoes. The only way you are going to build a house that can survive *all* tornadoes is to build it completely underground or maybe one of the reinforced concrete dome homes.

If I was building a house based on shipping containers, I would build it far enough off the ground that I could easily get under it if I needed to run new wiring or duct work. That would also be good for minor flooding. For major flooding concerns, build it 8+ ft off the ground and park your cars under it.

You will need to insulate it well, otherwise, it's just going to be a steel oven during a Texas summer. The roofs on them are not waterproof forever, so you might want to consider a separate roof structure to protect the containers. If there is a good distance between this roof structure and the containers, then there will be plenty of air flow and the temperature between the roof and the container will not be as excessive as you see in many houses. Of course, you can always plant some kudzu and shade it even more.

Boolit Master

One thing you need to remember is the corrugated siding IS the strength in a container! When you cut holes for doors and windows in the sidewalls you have seriously weakened the container. I've seen them collapse from just having the sidewall damaged and then picked up while loaded! Personally I wouldn't consider using them for the basis for a house unless I could avoid cutting into the sidewall or I was burying them completely. If you are going to bury one remember they are almost always made of painted steel and coat them accordingly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast