Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Blackpowder & 243, 308, 223, 30-30 case capacity, velocity is it working?

Quote Originally Posted by AJG View Post
    But other Option is Potassium Nitrate fertilizer but I have no idea how pure it is (it is the stuff I used to date but the bag was at open air at leas half a year already).
    According to this website, "pure" KNO3 fertilizer is graded 13.8-0-46.5

http://www.haifa-group.com/products/...te_fertilizer/

A few years ago, another forum member told me a great way to synthesize KNO3 -

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...atchlock/page2

Does your government restrict ammonium nitrate and potassium carbonate?
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Very interesting Ballistics of Scottland,

You must have a few University degrees according to your knowledge (as I do myself as well).

Interesting the salpeterman stories and I did not know the Queen herself "sold herself majesty Soul" to the infidel arabs. I allways thought only the german Kaiser Wilhelm made a treaty with the Turks and called himself "protector of Islam"
    What the heck those croocks.
    I did not know foreign capital (specially british) built the argentinian Beef industry. Same Thing happens now here were I am located: more and more "Frigorificos" (slaughter houses) of international capital and firms are being built. The actual local head of state seems to be the drug Boss of his own cartel since his Cousin sits in Jail in Uruguay for trafficking cocain (he was a drug Pilot).

Boolit Master
    Moroccans are mostly Berbers, and dealing with them was nowhere near as like soul-selling, and poor value for money in it, as some more recent international arms deals. Of course it happened a century or so before the British royal family acquired a small admixture of the blood of Mohammed, via a king of Portugal and the daughter of a Barbary corsair sultan. The British and most especially the Scots (I can't imagine why) have always enjoyed a harmonious relationship with tribal and preferably violent savages, and considerably admired the achievement of the Rifs in the 1920s, who inflicted on Spain the most disastrous of all defeats of a First World army by a Third World one.

Here is Sean Connery in a partly-true story from the days when a hostage-taking Islamic terrorist could be relatively respectable. Although the real-life Raisuli's treatment of the rude occasionally verged on Hannibal Lecter's, he liked his captive Sir Harry Maclean, thirty years a government-approved mercenary for the sultans of Morocco, and let him go without ransom. Of course Sir Harry knew a lot of good stories, and played the bagpipes. He would probably have done the same for Theodore Roosevelt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_and_the_Lion

Banned
    The only Thing I know about that period of time is that the USA had to pay at least 1/4 of ist annual Budget for Tribute to the Sultans of Algier, Morocco and I believe Lybia. They paid that till the US built their Virginia Oak battle ships of which 3 of them arrived at the Sultans and from then the western world had peace from the arabs till basically the World Trade Center attack.
    That is why I say: NO RELATIONSHIP WHATSOEVER WITH THE INFIDELS. No commerce whatsoever and battle them wherever you find them.
    Hitler was an "innocent" compared to the "peacefull" islamic Takeover of the western world Happening right now before of our eyes.
    Islam is allways "peacefull" if they are in minority. Once they are in mayority they force other minorities to their believe System.
    Just read the carta of the Sultan of Algier which he sent to the United States at ist time. The kur'an says said the Sultan in that official letter to the USA (in my own words): "If in minority Camouflage; once in mayority kill the others with the sword".
    Enough said!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    1000 yards medium range? 3-4 km from an elevated stand with BLACK POWDERin a case not designed for it? I can't help but think somebody is pulling somebody's leg around here.
    At 4km he'd be lucky to hit anything besides dirt, esp. since plunging fire would be necessary at that distance with what he proposes to use....my Barrett M99 is direct fire limited to 2600 meters, after that it's "mortar lobbing guesswork".
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Banned
    Dear Ballistics of Scottland,

As I was for a few years living in an Country in Northamerica I was actually renting togehter a house (housemate) with an Berber of Algeria. The guy was a ****ed up Person to say the least (I will not hold him as the best example of his People but...). He told me Islam in his Country is they are officially Saints but in their Basement they have their drinking room and alcohols stored (islamics are forbidden to drink alcohol). As well they visit regularly whores (obviously officially they do not exist). Soon as it darkens they steer clear into Basements and start drinking and Smoking pipe (whatever stuff is in the pipe. We have to remember that Marijuana is known in Germany as Haschisch which is an direct Translation from the Northafrican word Hashish which is Marijuana). The first terrorists originated in the near orient and during crusader time were known as Hashishim because they stuffed themselves full of Hashish and attacked the crusaders and cirstians by knife (stabbing). "The old from the mountain" was known as their (hashishim) Boss since they had their Headquarters on an mountain from which he sent out his assassins (there the word "assasin" Comes from since it is a resemblance of hashishim).

Boolit Master

Yes tracy,

messin' around with pee, manure and lots of hope it will turn out in a year or so.
    We have dairy cows and obviously chicken and garden too much. I have an tomato production facility as well (few greenhouses).

If I make my own potash it is even way more variables which can and I fear will go wrong.

First of all once I have Money i will order some activated charcoal (powder) and then buy an new bag of Potassium nitrate fertilizer. We will see how that works out.
    More important however for now is to get my lead bullet molds imported.
    Activated charcoal may not be the best way to go. A large part of what makes a good charcoal for black powder is the chemicals that are in pores of the charcoal. They are similar to creosote. If they aren't in the charcoal, the powder won't be good.

A very good study was done on this was done by the British government in the 1920-1930 era. They would remove these chemicals from the charcoal with acetone, make powder and test it. Then they would add the chemicals back into the charcoal, make powder and test it. Makes sense because you powder using creosote and no charcoal.

In one of the DIY powder threads here I provided a link to this study. I don't remember which one. You can go thru those threads and find it while you waiting for the other need supplies, etc.

FWIW. I don't know why the British were spending money studying this after black powder had become of limited use by the military.

Banned
    dear perotter,

Are you sure you are not talking about making anti sunburn oil (medicine) from creosote branches?
    If you are sure to talk about black powder than maybe the british recommended cresote Wood for charcoal?

For creosote I understand is a medicinal plant as stated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb6STdpDxNI

I just want to make sure we are talking about black powder making (charcoal selection).

Banned
    what about just mixing KNO3 with higly flammable oil (oil for fuel and KNO3 as oxidizer).

Boolit Master
    Perotter is one of the most knowledgeable about chemistry and black powder guys on this forum. You really need to read this thread, since it has become obvious that you haven't already: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-black-powder

Banned
    Ok. I did not want to belittle anyones knowledge about BP.
    Just I am a bit fed up with bad experience (my own bad experiences about BP) with BP and so I start to distrust any Youtubers recommendations since they seem to be Flops.

What about Tannin? It is originated in a specific local Wood in Southamerica and if it burns there is a sticky hard liquid coming out of the Wood which is one of the best Woods for burning.
    Tannin substance was used in the 1900 to about 1950's for leather production (I believe to make it soft) and was essential for leather industry. Nowadays it is replaced by sinthetic chemicals.

Boolit Master

maybe the british recommended cresote Wood for charcoal?
    They didn't in the report I'm referring to.

Boolit Master

Ok. I did not want to belittle anyones knowledge about BP.
    Just I am a bit fed up with bad experience (my own bad experiences about BP) with BP and so I start to distrust any Youtubers recommendations since they seem to be Flops.

What about Tannin? It is originated in a specific local Wood in Southamerica and if it burns there is a sticky hard liquid coming out of the Wood which is one of the best Woods for burning.
    Tannin substance was used in the 1900 to about 1950's for leather production (I believe to make it soft) and was essential for leather industry. Nowadays it is replaced by sinthetic chemicals.
    Just use table sugar and KNO3. Cheap and easy to get. Simple and fast process to make. Use the KNO3 that you have. It won't go bad because of having been open.

Make it tomorrow and if you have a good way to dry it, you'll be able to shoot it Monday.

Given it was DuPont, back when they were still big into making energetic materials, who did the testing and recommended it to the US government in the 1960's one has to give it some weight as to being worth a try.
    Last edited by perotter; 08-19-2016 at 11:13 PM. Reason: added to

Banned
    perotter,

Which combination and how prepare KNO3 + table sugar?

I have tried it but it is a flop (does not work). KNO3 as fertilizer + table ugar all kinds of variations I have tried. It never worked. Burns way to slow and bullet allways get stuck in barrel

Banned
    That is why I am distrusting all "Internet cientists" already since my KNO3+table sugar is too slow and not energetic at all. I ball milled it but with no good result for reloading metallic ammo.

Boolit Master
    I used a 65:35 KNO3:sucrose proportion, and it works fine in my testing. Not as well as my black powder, but usable. It does need a reasonable heavy bullet and a bit of compression.
    You can also add a small amount (maybe 1 percent) red iron oxide (rust, in other words) to make it easier to ignite.
    Don't worry about Youtube. Read the thread. There are several guys on there who actually do what they are talking about. Would you rather listen to guys who are making and using their own powder, or your chemist friend who hasn't?

Boolit Master
    what about just mixing KNO3 with higly flammable oil (oil for fuel and KNO3 as oxidizer).
    I was just reflecting that that is one of the most intelligent and thoughtful things you have said. I think it is a theoretical possibility, but it will ignite not much more rapidly than the oil, and oil vapour ignites while the liquid doesn't. I have it on good authority, and he may be living yet, that you can extinguish a cigarette in an open drum of aviation gasoline, if your are quick enough, and you are probably considering a far less volatile oil.

Ammonium nitrate and fuel oil mixture has been much used by terrorists, but it requires a detonator like blasting explosives do.

An internet forum is a strange place to seek information if a person doesn't trust "internet scientists".....

Nonetheless, there are other sources - plenty of good information in this book -

http://pyrotechnic.narod.ru/Black_Powder.pdf

Of course, a recipe is just a recipe. Useless without a competent cook.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Into the realm of Terrorist territory I certainly will not enter.

I read a post that said the US governement has tested already for years liquid gunpowder and till now all test seem to have failed (this info supposedly Comes from an third Party who knows a guy who works there). And they continue to plague and deal with that to no results.
    If they can not do it how could I with my limited knowledge. The primer might not work neighter if it gets wet and oily as I have noticed it with a few squibs already (oily primers fail).

Rigth now I am drying my ball milled black powder (KNO3 as fertilizer 75%+Commercial charcoal 15%+5%table sugar+5%Sulfur). I heat it in an oven for about 4 hs at about 40 degrees Celsius. I made a sample of above BP recipe and regular BP (75-15-10, only it is not very fine powder since my ball mill Motor started to fail) and both got a Little quicker in burn as original but I believe it is not yet near normal burn rate (both heated at about 30 degrees Celsius and for 2 hs in oven).

Banned
    My question is: Black powder gets cooked or just ball milled?

Yes it could be just me very well (if I fail with BP).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast