Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: when stupid comes to visit-imr 4895/h4895 mix up

Boolit Master

when stupid comes to visit-imr 4895/h4895 mix up

pulling some cast loads that were under performers, I had a small batch of imr 4895 out and dumped it into a h4895 canister, the black and green are mixed together.....this will be worm food, I broke my rule of one powder at a time, actually I just grabbed the wrong canister to empty it into....I know these two powders are close, one being just a little.faster but "never mix powders" is a hard and fast rule.of mine, a whole one pounder ruined cause I didn't think...okay gents flame me for my sins.

Boolit Master
    Send it to me.

Boolit Master

It happens, I keep 2 canisters of powder on my bench the one one I'm using and one clearly marked JUNK POWDER! When I pull unknown powder or the little that gets spilled it goes in the JUNK. Without thinking I once dumped my powder measure into the JUNK instead of the correct can, oh well I only wasted a small amount.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WALLNUTT View Post
    Send it to me.
    In the same camp here. I wouldn't toss it either, I'd just mix it thoroughly and start experimenting.

Aren't they both made by the same company with the same composition now?

Boolit Bub
    Would get used up at my place. Just mix it up well and use it. I would not mix powders of large variance in burn rate but that is not the case here.

Boolit Master
    Using it for cast (of course) I would not be up against the firewall. Either 4895 works well in somewhat reduced loads usually '06 or 30-40K.

Banned

imr has shown to be slightly slower than the H type to me.
    I'd just use it for cast applications in my 308 and not even worry about it.
    you ain't gonna generate enough pressure to even notice you have the 2 types in there.
    even if you get a case loaded with A and a case loaded with B they'll land on the paper close nuff together.
    it's not like you dumped titegroup in your H-110.

Moderator Emeritus

in regards to your specific situation of H4895 and IMR4895...
    Yeah, I'm in the camp of thoroughly blending your mixed up batch and using it for plinker loads or case forming.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I've done it before and won't say I wouldn't do it again in the future despite my being paranoid about one powder on the shelf at a time...I've even pulled the wrong bottle from the storage shelf thinking ti was the right version. My last foray into this was putting IMR4831 into a H4831 bottle that I had pulled form the shelf even though the IMR bottle was sitting right beside the powder measure...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Hmm. The Safety Nazis haven't arrived yet. Kinda refreshing

with the two being almost the same burn rate, by the same company, for the same applications, one being just a touch faster.... It might well be worth trying a few reduced loads based on the faster powder to look for signs of over pressure or squib load power then treat it just as you would a "new" powder where you work up from a reduced load. Looking at primer, case, leading and accuracy. Figure a couple of rounds in .2 or .3 grain increments working up to a normal load should be safe and allow you to recover most of it for plinking.

Got any in-laws or neighbors you don't like you could invite over for some range time? Never hurts to send some other kid into the yard after the ball to find out if the dog is gonna bite or be friendly. BTW - No I don't want to come down and try out your 35 Remington. :-p

On the other hand putting it on the dear wife's plants can score some brownie points if all she hears is "a little expensive but makes the best fertilizer" rather than "I screwed up a batch of powder so I'm dumping in on your plants rather than totally waste it".
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Roger a unique and refreshing perspective as alawys, I think I will try it out, the imr was a few years old, the H was from late last year, other than color and a few fps I don't see any danger as this is primarily for reduced but not mouse farther loads, for full hunting grain loads for the nagants, Mauser and 30 30 I'll just buy a new jug of h4895

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    in regards to your specific situation of H4895 and IMR4895...
    Yeah, I'm in the camp of thoroughly blending your mixed up batch and using it for plinker loads or case forming.
    I'm right here with that also. +
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

In Remembrance

Me too. Mix it and use it. Been there Done that. A reduction of about 5 % is about right in my experiance.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

My crime? SR 4759 inot a canister of 5744. I lived with it. Literally as well as figuratively.

Not proud of it but there you are. We are all in this together, warts and all.