Wideners Load Data

Thread: Is this any good . . .

Boolit Buddy

Is this any good . . .

Anybody used this?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6624_200136624

Or this one?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._333803_333803

Looking for something to do prep work for duracote or other finishing method.

Midway has a similar model but doesn't have the interior dimensions I need for my first project. See below.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...352&t=11082005

Thoughts or suggestions?

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone? Please?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've never used any of those. We have an industrial size one at work. I would imagine any of those will do the job. It's not like you run them a lot, and they are pretty simple units. I would say your air compressor capability will be the determining factor on how they work.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I've used a siphon type sandblaster, just a pipe stuck in a bag or bucket, it had 3 different size nozzles, worked ok. You do have to have air dryers in line with supply or the sand will clump, good volume and pressure compressor a must.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I've never used one from Northern but I do have one that looks a little different. They work very well. It takes a pretty good compressor to keep up with it so that may or may not be your limiting factor. You can use them from cleaning parts to refinishing a stainless pistol frame.

I don't have a cabinet yet, but I too have looked at one of those. I went to Harbor Freight and after I looked one over decided to build my own blasting cabinet. I have not started that project yet but have gathered a few ideas and tips from scouring the net. I didn't want to drop a "C note" or more on a cabinet that in all likelyhood I would out grow. I am looking at building something at least 36 inches wide. Most of the cheaper models are not large enough to do a barreled receiver and some wouldn't even hold the valve covers for the old Mopar I have in my garage. I guess if you are looking to do some pistols and just smaller parts one of those will work fine.

I have a siphon style sand blaster that I got from Craftsman a few years back. It works fine but as mentioned in an earlier reply, it takes a powerful air compressor to do any sand blasting, preferably a two stage with a big cast motor to dissipate heat. My compressor works with it but it pretty much runs continuously.

Semper Fi

Boolit Buddy
    OK -- picked up a used cabinet (Harbor Freight model) from a local knife maker (highly recommend him, Dave Vail, Hampstead, NC) for $10. After a spending spree this weekend at Harbor Freight (air hoses, fittings, shop light) and Lowes (suction feed blasting gun), I'm almost ready to go with this project.

One question -- inside the cabinet, there was a clear piece of film that covered the viewing window (from the inside). It was pretty cloudy and made visibility into the cabinet very difficult. It had been deliberately cut from the inside aroudn the window. I took it out. Was this a protective shipping coating that was meant to be removed (but never was), similar to that on watch faces or the touch panels on microwaves etc? Or is is something that was meant to protect the viewing panel on the cabinet from the blasting media?

Bottom line, do I need to replace this and if so, with what?

Boolit Master

I have a Horror Fright model and plan to cut a 4'' hole in one side and put a piece of PVC pipe with a cap on it to make it able to accept a barreled action . I got the idea from a design in an Eastwood catalog.
    The film is a proctective coating to prevent the plexiglass cover from frosting,better to replace tha film thanthe cover,cheaper too! H F sells the film.

Boolit Buddy
    Good to know, I didn't see the film for sale, but I think my local HF is a bit on the meager side as to selection.

Good idea on the "extension" -- I don't think I'll have to go that route on my current projects, but who know in the future.