Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Laser Engraving pics. For all of you thinking about it, do it...

Boolit Buddy

Laser Engraving pics. For all of you thinking about it, do it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ma belle.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	174271

For those of you thinking or wanting to have laser engraving done on a rifle or handgun, let me just say it is worth every penny investment. This is my ruger no.1 that I am building for a 1,000 yard competition rifle. I named her "MA BELLE" as she will soon be ready to reach out and touch somebody.

Boolit Master

not to be vulgar (and then he goes and says something tacky...)

how does the cost compare to hand engraving?
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy

No idea this was done by a friend for free but I think this sort of engraving done by hand would run in the neighborhood or 5-600.00 per side. So 1200-ish for all of the work. Laser engraving would run about 200.00 for both sides.

Moderator Emeritus

Interesting. Thanks. Could be useful for us po' folks. And yes, it is indeed art, because it has to be guided by someone's mind, but it and real hand engraving - the kind most of us can't afford - will always be two separate things. The simple and exquisite skills and crafts needed to do the hand type will always require a premium. But the laser stuff certainly gives the bulk of us a real option to doll up and personalize our guns with something very neat. For me, the old Browning Olympian and Dianna grade guns will always hold a very special place in my heart. Never been able to own one, but I guess it's like watching a Sophia Loren movie? Who can not appreciate either's beauty?

Boolit Buddy

I have been a gunsmith for many years and engraving is another one of the many things that I never had a hand for. I have tried it and realized that while I could master the mechanical aspects of it, the artistic requirements were beyond me. For myself it is always better to know your shortcomings and let those people who are already masters of different crafts to do what they do.

Depends who the engraver is on how much it costs...Barry Lee Hands or Roger Bleil or any number of other world class masters could cost a small fortune and be worth every penny or the other end of the spectrum is guys like me who are reasonably good but not famous so we charge a lot less.

Currently(8-14-2016), I charge $25.00 per hour and I can cut about 1 square inch of full coverage engraving an hour or I bid the project at one price and I get that amount regardless of how much time it takes(or doesn't).

Lettering I usually do for $10.00 plus $1.00 per letter.

http://www.stolzergunsmithing.com/engravingexamples.htm

Some of my best paying jobs are letter cutting ownership tags and brass padlocks for people into BDSM.
    Last edited by StolzerandSons; 08-14-2016 at 04:55 PM.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by StolzerandSons View Post

Some of my best paying jobs are letter cutting ownership tags and brass padlocks for people into BDSM.
    That's actually funny as I make my living with custom leatherwork for the most part and I have had requests from those folks to make various things and have not, as of yet, done anything for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnfalconer View Post
    I have been a gunsmith for many years and engraving is another one of the many things that I never had a hand for. I have tried it and realized that while I could master the mechanical aspects of it, the artistic requirements were beyond me. For myself it is always better to know your shortcomings and let those people who are already masters of different crafts to do what they do.
    Ditto on that point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't know your limitations,,, You might be an idiot? I see so many guys in shops attempting to do things they have never done and don't know how to do,,, Only to fail miserably when they could have just farmed out the work to someone who does know what they are doing and can get it right the first time.

Nobody needs to be able to do everything himself. Doesn't matter if you can,,, it just isn't cost effective to do so. Specialize in doing what you do best, and success will follow.

I can do a lot of things in my shop, and I farm most of it out when someone else can do it better for less money.

Laser engraving is a great way to enhance a project, provided you are working with someone who has enough artist ability to lay out what you want correctly, and then execute the burn the first time. On new jobs I generally provide a test piece to make sure my guy has one to waste. He never does but it is there just in case.

Once the art work is sussed out and the set up for the piece is established. I only pay for the actual burning which is cheap. I just got 25 of my top plates for my Hand Presses done last week for $45. They came out perfect just like the earlier 100 did. Less than $2 each for this level of resolution is well worth the cost, and as you can see the process yields a finished result that is very professional looking and will last indefinitely.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com