MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: best lead mix for deer hunting

Boolit Buddy

best lead mix for deer hunting

Lyman #2 at 15 BHN or a straight wheel weight alloy air cooled at 13 bhn.

I would like to try 170 FP for the 30-06 not sure if I should go with a gas check or a plain base for deer hunting let say out to 150 yards.I had good results with a 38-55 wheel weights air cooled flat base so far using IMR 3031 28 grains with no barrel leading.

I just sent the action off for a trigger job I should be getting it back this week:I am going to try to increase the charge by 1 full grain each range trip and see how the 38-55 262 grain FP bullets shoot so far at 75 yards all roads in a 1 1/2 group from the bench and they came from Dan over at bullshop

Boolit Master
    I can get ~2000 fps with straight wheel weights gas checked and lubed with FWFL. I use a 200 grain bullet in the 35Remington and the 35 Whelen. In the 30-06 and 30-30 I use the 311291 and 311041,same lube and checked, for about the same or slightly more FPS. I use Lyman #2 also and there isn't a LOT of difference in the performance of the alloys. The biggest difference is in the nose shape of the bullets. Flat points make a BIG difference.

Either Montana or Buffalo Bullets has a note in their website in regards to hard cast bullets for hunting. They do NOT expand, use FN or RN shape, aim for shoulder to break bones. The larger calibers make larger holes. If you want bullets that expand and not use jacketed stuff, go to a paperpatch type.

Boolit Master

Seems to me i read somewhere 4% or 6% equal amounts of Tin and Antimony balance of lead, make the toughest** bullet. I beleive it's a thread somewhere on this site. It was a very interesting read. Try a search. ** Toughness is interpeted differently by different people

Banned

in handguns and big bore rifles i tend to error toward the harder side in rifles less then 35 cal i im just the oposite. I will usually use the softest alloy that doesnt lead. Small and medium bore rifles can benift from expansion. If wws are working id stick to them.