Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is 22lr ammunition made? Tour of cci and speer

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

How is 22lr ammunition made? Tour of cci and speer

Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Minutes 3-7 is a production line I turn wrenches on. That's our most advanced line at cci. We load tons more on different, less automated machines as well.

*disclaimer* any information giving is that of my own and is not representation of vista outdoor inc.
    Last edited by Mica_Hiebert; 08-12-2016 at 09:17 AM.

Super Moderator

............Fantastic automation. Hopefully it quiets down some folks who wonder, "Why don't they just add more ammo making machinery (to keep up with demand). That'd be quite a capital investment (not including new structures to house it if required) to acquire something that produces what will most likely eventually become commonly available again.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

alot of the stuff is the same as at federal but a good bit is different, definately different levels of automation. as far as quieting the crybaby's down, wont ever happen. been trying to tell people for years now how much it would cost and how much machinery is involved, but heads are buried in the sand.

Boolit Bub
    Many millions of dollars in machines. I wonder if there is a cheaper setup for those looking to load 1k-5k a day install of 500k.
    See My Sales Feedback HERE

Boolit Master

there is just no good way to make it cheaper. well you could make it like remingturd does, but thats no cheaper, and a bunch less reliable.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for that, very interesting.

Super Moderator

............Main issue with increasing production after going to 3 shifts (assuming your suppliers can meet your new material requirements) is that you don't simply call up good ol' Mel at the ACME 22 RF Ammunition Making Machine Co. INC, and ask to have 5 complete new setups delivered by next Tuesday I'm sure there are the original plans/blueprints around for them but it's a very large and BIG $ process. Heck, it might take a couple years to get one new complete line ordered, made and installed? Haven't the foggiest idea, but I'll bet that if any of the manufacturers figured it'd pay, they'd have done it.

Lots of various companies have gone to castings, and MiM (Metal Injection Moulding) as a cost savings, but I understand that a mould can run $70,000. I have no idea if that's a simple mould or not. Nor do I know if that figure is a run of the mill figure. I'd read about it concerning some stuff for which S&W was using MiM parts, and that was the mentioned price for ONE mould. Nor do I know how long a mould will last?

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    So how many others thought "Boy, I sure would like to have one day's worth of their lead?"

Interesting tour.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Hehe pretty close. Was wondering how to roll a 600lb cylinder on my truck (think I heard that weight) except my truck died Wed of terminal rust on the frame.

Boolit Master

I went through CCI's plant back in 1979, things haven't changed much, as far as process.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I really like the bullet flipper at 5:30.

Just think, if you could have had all of that setup and running 100% the day the shortage started, it could have been paid for by now.

How cool is that. Great video.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Given the very small profit margin on 22s I would guess that it takes a long time to recover capital investments and expenses. If it did not they would be adding machinery faster than they do.

In other words, they look at the long term and don't respond to demand spikes as they don't pay for much. Too unpredictable and short term.

Given the very small profit margin on 22s I would guess that it takes a long time to recover capital investments and expenses.
    There are still some parts where .22 is still scarce and some of the prices I had seen were completely ridiculous. Unfortunately I think the days of the $8/500 box have passed us for good.

Boolit Grand Master
    The scalpers see the profits, not the makers.

Boolit Master

with the internet, you can order 22rf ammo to anywhere you might reside. a few minutes of searching will find all you want or need.

I saw a show once on TV of CCI making .22lr ammo, I thought this might be the same video but I don't think it is. The one I saw was a little different, longer and more detailed I believe.

But still VERY interesting! Visiting various ammo plants for tours is definitely a bucket list item for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I saw a show once on TV of CCI making .22lr ammo, I thought this might be the same video but I don't think it is. The one I saw was a little different, longer and more detailed I believe.

But still VERY interesting! Visiting various ammo plants for tours is definitely a bucket list item for me!
    Shooting usa once did a tour and we still use the machines featured on that tour along with the load line shown by the Plinksters tour I tried to find their footage to post on this thread but it seems to have been deleted from the interwebs...

Quote Originally Posted by Mica_Hiebert View Post
    Shooting usa once did a tour and we still use the machines featured on that tour along with the load line shown by the Plinksters tour I tried to find their footage to post on this thread but it seems to have been deleted from the interwebs...
    That may have been it! That is/was a regular TV show, right?

Do you work for CCI? Do they do tours for us unwashed peons?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast