Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there any Bolt rifle that can be rebored / rechambered to 30-30 Win?

Boolit Master
    about 2 years ago was when I realised I was not able to give the 270 some company! They are worth it in my book. I wonder why mossberg or somebody with the savage barrel system don't do a run of 30-30's and get this modern 30-30 bolt itch scratched?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    This is a 49' 325C and the selling point that made me look twice .

Attachment 173537
    Harter- was the selling point no magazine or was the quilt included?? Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    After I had finished reading this thread just for the heck of it I check GB and found the model 54 30wcf. Suprised as heck to actually find one in 30wcf. They only made about 50k before they went to the model 70. I got the one I mentioned at a hole in the wall gun shop in Brooklyn NY many years ago. Think I paid $75 for the complete barreled action. The owner had one of those fiber 55 gallon drums full of them. Have heard they were popular in South America as the bores looked like coal mines. There were articles way back when in the American Rifleman on how to convert them to 30-40 Krag. To this day I wonder what happened to all those barreled actions. Mine did come with both the front and rear receiver rings D&T for scope mounts, as well as the left rear ring for lyman sights. Had the bolt done by Griffen & Howe at Abercrombi & Fitch when I lived in NYC. The smith that did the job started his own shop in Queens and retired I think last year. Frank
    Last edited by Frank46; 08-03-2016 at 10:33 PM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Harter- was the selling point no magazine or was the quilt included?? Best, Thomas.
    The fancy bolt handle actually , it came with 2 clips (they are so marked in spite of being magazines) . Ms loves that table cloth .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Not to change the subject from a bolt action chambered in 30-30 Win, I would like a Winchester 54 or a Remington 788 for less then a arm and a leg, and needing to be worked on. I have two single shot rifles chambered in 30-30 Win.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3184.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	173606 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1654 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	173607

Banned

They made Ruger #1s in .30-30?

Boolit Master
    Rich, it is a Lipsey's special where they only had 250 made, and some like mine came through with Circassion Walnut stocks.

http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruge...ter-30-30.aspx

Banned

Nice rifle. I like #1s.

Boolit Master
    There's actually two M54 .30-30's on GB right now- a carbine and a standard. (Don't confuse them with the Sears branded M54 Model 94 Winchesters.)

Boolit Master
    I have a sporter weight 7.62 x 39 barrel 22" long .308"/1-10" that is threaded for large ring 98 Mauser. A beater action could be attached and with some extractor mods I expect it would work- maybe even as a two- shooter. I believe these barrels were made by Wilson for Numrich. I also believe the 30-30 chamber reamer would clean the x39 chamber out. On the other hand the 91 Mauser action is push feed and easily converted to solid bottom single shot. Gotta love gun projects! Best, Thomas.

The 7.62x39 cartridge head is more than .02in. larger than the .30-30. Setting back the barrel a considerable distance would be required - possibly enough for extending of the existing barrel threads to be advisable.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    If the GunBroker listing discussed above is #574579947,a potential purchaser should exercise all due diligence.. Seller is a first timer, and the site operator has inserted a notice alerting to the possible lifting of the photo(s),& description from a different listing. Regardless the $5xx quoted is not meeting the sellers reserve ,so it may not turn out to be any sort of bargain.. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master
    yup, it would have a big setback to clean up a x39 for the 30-30. The 303 savage would be easier if memory serves me correct.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    The 7.62x39 cartridge head is more than .02in. larger than the .30-30. Setting back the barrel a considerable distance would be required - possibly enough for extending of the existing barrel threads to be advisable.
    You are correct. My druthers would be to use a 91 action and shorten the shank while rethreading to small ring. I may do it someday.

Boolit Master
    You are correct. My druthers would be to use a 91 action and shorten the shank while rethreading to small ring. I may do it someday.
    For those involved in man's eternal quest to do things with less resources than are advisable, the Mauser 98 offers advantages for doing this job without a screw-cutting lathe. The barrel thread dies are available in both large and small ring sizes, but the 98 tightens up with the rear of the barrel against the internal stop-ring. It is a lot easier to get perfect contact with felt-tip and file than it is on the annular barrel shoulder which contacts the front of the receiver in earlier actions.

Frank46:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    1891 Argentine mauser.The machining on those old rifles was second to none and the 7.65x43mm was no slouch either and very close to the '06. Frank
    I've got a good candidate Argy and have thought about this. But wouldn't you have to shorten the breach end of the barrel because the argy round is longer than the 30WCF? Argentine: 2.110 in to 30 WCF: 2.039 in. The difference isn't much though: 0.07", but the Argy's throat might be much wider at that point and, of course, I would need to use .312" boolits in mine--which has a good bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The Savage 340 family of rifles in 30-30 are the sleepers of the cast bullet shooting world. They are not high art, but they are great utility rifles that will deliver 1.5 - 2.0 MOA with many cast bullet loads.

The triggers have some adjustment in them, and while not great can be managed.

Savage tried to dress these up but they were no more popular than the plain jane versions, so the last version was spartan and sold under the Springfield name. Here is mine with a Lyman receiver sight I installed. Nothing fancy here, but there is no better utility rifle on this planet.
    I've always been attracted to the Sav. 340 as a utility gun. Owned 2 30-30s and a .225 Winchester. IMHO (and no offense to the folks who own these rifles) the trigger design is a mess. When i get the creepiness out of the trigger, the bolt flies out the back on reload because the two functions are interconnected. I have found magazine feed is iffy with cast boolits—I usually fired single shot. Now, they are priced sky high. All that said, i'm looking at one in .22 Hornet.

You are correct as usual. The good old 98 is easy to rebarrel. The barrel I have would have to be machined regardless so I think I would lean towards an action easily reworked to single loading like the 91Mauser, Carcano, or 88 commission rifle. I'm fortunate enough to be on bartering terms with a master machinest. Jwflips- I hope we are helping! Best,Thomas.

JWfilips- your idea has me wanting to build a super light single shot 30-30 bolt action with a very slim underbelly (no mag). Thank you for the idea. Sort of a .22 bolt single on steroids. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Blixen, when I posted about using the 1891 action I had in mind using a heavy barrel in 30 caliber and should have stated that. I have a couple actions and one bubba'd chopped and channeled 1891 stock and by using a heavy barrel (look on gun broker) and trimming the 30wcf rim to .473 and rounding off the front and rear of the rim after trimming it should work. It would be a single shot or feed from the magazine if you play around with it. I did the trimming and rounding of the rim as stated and with some trial and error on my part the case did fit the bolt face and was held by the extractor. You may have to play with the rim thickness so thin it from the front of the rim by the case head. I used my 35-40 year old 6" craftsman 6"x19 lathe to do this. you could also find a Israeli 7.62mm MG barrel from the 1919A1 MG cut about 2" off the rear end which would leave about 22" have it threaded and chambered for 30-30 and as long as you don't hot rod it should be ok. The MG barrel I mentioned is normally 24" long. And don't laugh about using a MG barrel. There have been numerous rifles set up using these barrels. Have seen them set up on mauser actions both in 7.62 and '06. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    Blixen, when I posted about using the 1891 action I had in mind using a heavy barrel in 30 caliber and should have stated that. I have a couple actions and one bubba'd chopped and channeled 1891 stock and by using a heavy barrel (look on gun broker) and trimming the 30wcf rim to .473 and rounding off the front and rear of the rim after trimming it should work. It would be a single shot or feed from the magazine if you play around with it. I did the trimming and rounding of the rim as stated and with some trial and error on my part the case did fit the bolt face and was held by the extractor. You may have to play with the rim thickness so thin it from the front of the rim by the case head. I used my 35-40 year old 6" craftsman 6"x19 lathe to do this. you could also find a Israeli 7.62mm MG barrel from the 1919A1 MG cut about 2" off the rear end which would leave about 22" have it threaded and chambered for 30-30 and as long as you don't hot rod it should be ok. The MG barrel I mentioned is normally 24" long. And don't laugh about using a MG barrel. There have been numerous rifles set up using these barrels. Have seen them set up on mauser actions both in 7.62 and '06. Frank
    I've seen that very barrel (as freely purchasable as a walking-stick in the UK as long as the threads have been amputated) used to make an exceedingly accurate Martini sporting rifle. It was chambered for .303 with the reamer pilot oilstoned from .303 to .300 on a lathe, and the FL sizer die expander button similarly treated with abrasive paper.