RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What tricks do you use to keep your barrel cool during a long bench session?

Perma-Banned

The guys at my range pump ice water from a small cooler, down the barrel.

They hold the rifle over the cooler, so the water goes back in the cooler and recirculates.

Works GREAT!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    easy! I don't shoot outside until it is cold . and after 10-20 rounds of 30-06 I'm tired of my shoulder hurting anyways.
    Now that is funny. And I took my 30-06 to the range with me today.

I should mention watch that finger tip when inverting canned air. Won't hurt us old farts but sensitive fingers can get frostbite ish. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    bring multiple rifles.
    More than that, alternate firing them, one or two shots each. This is assuming you have allowed more than one Bullseye downrange.

When they both get hot, break out the .22 and shoot that for a while.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Cooling a barrel

Forgive me guys I tend to think and remember in fits and starts. A hundred years ago in Muleshoe, Texas we would leave one rifle in the air conditioned truck while heating up the other on prairie dogs. Action open of course. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Use another as it cools or see how well its shoots hot.

Another option is to use a Coleman mattress pump that runs on "D" cells. Some flexible plastic tubing and you can pump air from breach to muzzle. Get them at Walmart. Works for me on hot days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull Shoals View Post
    Another option is to use a Coleman mattress pump that runs on "D" cells. Some flexible plastic tubing and you can pump air from breach to muzzle. Get them at Walmart. Works for me on hot days.
    This is what I've done in the past hunting big prairie dog towns.

Works really well and while the one rifle is tubed up pick up the next rifle and have fun.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Banned
    I generally have around 3 or 4 rifles & maybe a couple pistols to shoot, so depending on how fast I'm shooting, every 5 or 10 rounds, maybe more, then rotate to another gun. I'm not super good on keeping barrels cool, especially ARs, M14s, etc.

I'm always rebarreling something, so squeezing a few more rounds out of one is not a hi priority.

Boolit Master
    I usually stop shooting and let the rifle cool off some. Talking with some other guys while they are letting their guns cool off works good. I also am not shooting lots of rounds fast downrange. I like to pace myself out more. Thus I don't do through a couple of hundred rounds in a short time period like some guys do. That stuff gets expensive real quick. Sort of like when one gets a $100 dollars or more of ammo and fires it all off in a minute with a full auto gun. It reminds me of going to the Six Flags amusement park and waiting three hours to get on a ride that lasts 30 seconds to one minute.

I noticed that they sell a battery powered fan unit that plugs into the magazine well. You pull the BCG back, insert the fan unit and close the dust cover door and turn the fan on. That would speed up the cooling down of the barrel. But I like the ice water method with a battery powered water pump and some tubing too.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 08-07-2016 at 10:53 PM. Reason: add more information

I took 5 rifles to the range with me today and spent three hours there. I try to take my time and switch guns often. The range wasn't busy this morning and for about 2 hours, I had the place to myself.
    I had targets up at all available ranges(25yd, 50yd,100yd, and 200yd) so I was able to do a lot of shooting without running down to the backstop all the time.
    I had 2 30-06 rifles, 2 223 rifles, and a 22lr with me. Everything worked well today. I was able to let the rifles cool to usable temperatures as I rotated through them. The only issue was the testing and sighting in I was doing with the 30-06 rifles went too quickly and I ended up switching back and forth between the 223 rifles and the 22lr a lot.
    I won't always have that many rifles with me so I think I will try the air pump first and see how well that works for me. That was a great suggestion that I hadn't even thought about or considered.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    coleman quickpump 4d cells nozzle made from old case and cool it down

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Cold pack wrapped in a hand towel rubbed up and down the barrel
    http://www.uline.com/Grp_93/Insulate...4Dag&gclsrc=ds
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I use a cooler with ice and water. I have a hose with a funnel on it, hold the rifle over the cooler and pour ice water through the breach and down the barrel. Works great.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein