RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BR-5 usage/test loads

Boolit Buddy

BR-5 usage/test loads

Anyone currently using BR-5 ? It is supposed to mimic Unique data. I have been doing some testing & it seems to be off quite a bit. Kinda weaker so to speak ,IMHO. I have been playing around with various loads in .38 spl. . Anyone else testing ,or have loads worked up & if so for what gun? Just curious.- CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Buddy
    Some test results for anyone lurking. I am pushing 150 LSWC with 5.5gr. Of Br-5. Still working on bumping it up. Fair accuracy the way they are.
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    Glad to see someone working with this powder. I suspect it'll be a good one.

As far as being "weaker" than Unique, you've discovered its a little slower than Unique. I think the surplus powder sellers err on the side safety and usually tell you to use data from a slightly faster powder and work up. A powder's speed will change a little depending on the cartridge, boolit, over-all length etc... So to keep people out of over-pressure results on their first try, they want you to have a plenty safe starting point, which is to data from a faster powder.

I find powders a little slower than Unique to be great in top speed loads for 38 Special, 32 SWL and get 45 Colts going as fast as I need. They also get about 80-90% of the top velocities in 357 magnum, but are very economical compared to case full loadings of H110, and are more fun to shoot. And that powder speed will really shine in the 380, 9, 40 and 45 ACP.

Ill bet you'll find your favorite 38 loads are toward the upper end.

Please post some results as you get them. Interested to hear how BR-5 works out for you.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    I used 5 gr in my 1911 45ACP with a 230 gr TC boolit @ 845 fps, found it to be a tad more accurate than the same 5 gr Unique load. Will try it soon in my CZ52 and Tokarov 7.62x25
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

I have come up this after the first jug. S P 101 .38 spl. 4.7 grs with 141 - 148gr wad cutter, 5grs with the Lee 158gr TL SWC. Colt .45 acp 6.0grs with Lee 230gr. TL.. .40 S&W ( 4 different guns ) 5.7grs with the Lee 175gr TL. Still working on .44 mag..
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Banned

How is the actual burn of it? I HATE UNIQUE! It never seems to burn completely and get powder all over me while shooting it. Seems to clean up a little if you run a max charge but I do not like that at all.

Boolit Master
    It is a ball powder so it burns very good. Just got back from the range shot 50 230 rn with 5.0 gr shot good then shot 50 with 6.1 gr with 230 tc shotbgreat all INA big hole at 25 yds. It is cleamn also.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    Went to the range with three loads of BR5 in my SCCY 9mm all with 125 gr Lee cast PC'ed and sized to .358 OACL 1.020
    First load was a little hot but safe 5.5 gr BR5 accuracy fair
    second load was better 5.0 gr BR5 accuracy all in a 3" sq. @ 18 yds
    third load lots better 4.5 gr BR5 accuracy was in a 2" sq. at the same 18 yds
    Ran 200 rds through it with flawless feed and eject.
    Remember this isn't a range pistol it is a CCW 15 oz 10 rd double stack.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Freightman
    Was the 845 fps actual chronographed velocity?

I have been eying that powder at Bartletts and need something in that speed range.

It should do well in my 550 also
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Yes it isn't the same volume so don't use the same measure you would with unique.
    Frank G.

Been researching this powder and figure I can pull the trigger on it if someone wants to split an order in CA or Reno Nevada area.

Boolit Mold
    357 Mag, us d Unique data roughly reduced 10%. 6.7gr with Magna 158 bevel base LSWC, CCI 550 (mag primer). Clocked 1050 +/-15 FPS from a 5 inch Smith & Wesson N frame. Not pressure signs. Accuracy not noted. Just throwing them over the chrono. To establish a base line

Boolit Buddy
    Just picked up two more jugs from gibrass.com on my way through Owensboro. Data on jug for 9mm and I’ve been using it with plated bullets to this point. 5.6gr under a Berry’s 124gr rn. I know...they’re not boolits but, it is what it is at this time....They shoot well and cycle all of my 80% firearms perfectly. From the B26 to the B34 and even the “Longslide”. They all are 100% flawless with this load.
    I have been shooting 5.5gr under my 45ACP 200gr LRNHP Mihec boolit and it functions my B21 well. No hiccups at all either.
    No chrono data at this point, but, maybe this summer....
    Next on the agenda is 40S&W in the same firearm platform.
    Last edited by lead_her_fly; 05-24-2019 at 04:26 AM.
    Skip
    Born Again 1983
    USMC 1973-1979

“A reputation for a thousand years may depend upon the conduct of a single moment”

Banned
    Anyone else playin' with BR-5?

Boolit Buddy

Yup, it works well in the 38 Super, 7 grs +- depending on the bullet weight, 115,124, and I bump it up some for the Steyr 115gr. loads in super comp brass for the MP34. I have plans to try it in the 380, but havent yet.

Got 8 pounds just before the virus shutdown. Havent started working with it yet.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    Im using it in a 9.5" Super Redhawk .44mag with a scope. Getting good groups at 100 yards with both 240 plated and a 250 grain NOE SWC with 9.5 grains.
    I believe its a tad slower than unique. I like how it works in my 1911 .45 6.0 grains with a Lyman 225 gr. Round Nose. Been clean burning and meters excellent through the Dillon 550 B. Same results with both plated and lead Boolits in the .357 and .38

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
    Anyone else playin' with BR-5?

Yep. I got a jug a while back and used it with Unique data. Out of curiosity I emailed Jeff Bartlett requesting exact load data and he sent me a sheet with a few loads (next day!). For a 9mm 124 gr FMJ 4.7 gr. to 5.4 gr. for 960-1080 fps. And 45 ACP 6.5 gr. to7.5 gr. for 805-870 fps. Others listed but only using these two now...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Just got my shipment of BR 5. 7.9 grains of Unique and a Lee 255 RNFP is a tackdriver from my 92. With Unique, that’s a 1.02cc disk from a Lee Disk dispenser. Loaded disk kit with BR 5 and dropped 10 charges with 1.02 disk. Total mass of 121 grains or 12.1 grains per charge. Tomorrow I’ll load some with a 0.66 disc which should get me close to 7.9 grains and will test drive it this weekend. Although it may be similar to Unique, I’m concerned the smaller charge might get lost in the large case.

Boolit Mold
    I loaded up some for my glock 20 10mm i used 124 gr, 170 gr and 180 gr fmj with 8 grains of BR-5 . They all shot great

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast