Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyman 310 Swap thread

32 S&W / long /acp dies, 310 & truline, are often marked "32 pistol"

45acp (310) requires a #7 handle adapter -- a #2 will trap the case when it is expanded in the handles -- #2 is fine in truline jr press

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Good idea. Problem was nobody updated their lists.
    ...SNIP
    Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    I have a box of Lyman 310 stuff that I am going to dig out and list for sale. Have to find it first! Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    The concept is great . . . the reality is that it's been tried and really gets confusing for the same reasons stated above. Lists didn't get updated, etc. and it soon got so confusing trying to go through all the posts and figuring what was what
    ...SNIP
    We could probably do this and make it a sticky in this section, for SWAPPING ONLY, but we will not allow any selling, if someone wants to sell outright they'd need to make their post in the selling and swapping section.

Also everyone here that wishes to swap, would need to know that they are on there own, take the necessary precautions to protect your own interests.

I've found it to be the nature of any swapping forum, that some will not update their list and it will get confusing...anyway, I still think this is a good idea.

I sent a PM to slug.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

There is something satisfying about those old 310s...

Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    32 S&W / long /acp dies, 310 & truline, are often marked "32 pistol"

45acp (310) requires a #7 handle adapter -- a #2 will trap the case when it is expanded in the handles -- #2 is fine in truline jr press
    I hadn't thought about that, i'll have to look if mine came with a #7 or not. i've yet to load with my 45 ACP set for various reasons. May have to start making adapters on the lathe someday....finding more and more that I could use lol

I have a spare # 10 shell adapter, would like to trade for a #7 if anybody has one.
    My firearms project blog

It is easy enough to open up Handle adapters to a larger size -

I have made them smaller with "press in" reducers --
    Make a small counter bore at the top and a small shoulder on the press in bit -

I have made several from scratch on the lathe but the three fine threads (30tpi) have
    to be done turning the lathe by hand -- I am just not quick enough to disengage the half nut
    anymore --

my ha-penny

Boolit Master

PM me for my trade list:

SEE POST #30 for my want list.

Thanks
    Scott
    Last edited by dsh1106; 01-27-2017 at 08:52 AM. Reason: updated items
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Ended up getting a complete die set for 30-30 with the shell adapter....should be here mid week.

consequently the dies I have for a partial 30-30 set, everything but the bullet seater and shell adapter. These will be avail for trade when my other set arrives, Still looking for .44 mag dies .
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Mold
    Here's a link to the 310 Shop. He's in Denton TX and sells and buys 310 dies, handles, etc. He also manufactures any thing you might want.

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

Quote Originally Posted by terryk1379 View Post
    Here's a link to the 310 Shop. He's in Denton TX and sells and buys 310 dies, handles, etc. He also manufactures any thing you might want.

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm
    I was not aware that he made dies. Is that what you mean?
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Grand Master
    He was (at one time) offering custom-made dies in calibers no longer made or commonly available. I haven't checked with him lately, but that was the situation when last I checked.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    He was (at one time) offering custom-made dies in calibers no longer made or commonly available. I haven't checked with him lately, but that was the situation when last I checked.

Froggie
    His website hasn't changed in a while at least thats what it looks like to me so I'm not sure how active he is anymore. Somebody though is selling new mfg lock rings on ebay from time to time.
    My firearms project blog

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    Will a 44 mag expander work for the 44-40? I have a spare expander die with a .429 plug.
    Thanks Scott
    The .429 will work for .44-40s of recent production which were assembled using .44 Magnum bore and groove spec barrels,
    which require larger bullets. Will not work for older guns requiring .428 and smaller boolits.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    The 310 Shop is still in full swing.
    Rick Morrill - A really nice guy

The 310 Shop
    4237 Boxwood drive
    Denton Texas, 76208

940-271-1222

He is not a computer guru and knows his website leaves a lot to be desired. He doesn't like communication via email either. But if you call him he will answer if he is in the shop.

I purchased a NIB 4 die set for my 218 BEE rifle just a couple months ago. This guy is just chock full of knowledge.

As him if he has any Buffalo burger left - LOL

Ron H

Boolit Master

Updated Swap List - POST #30
    Last edited by dsh1106; 01-27-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Malamute, don't let this get out but I prefer the Lee hand priming tool to the priming chamber of the 310 set, so I agree completely with your assessment. When I get (or put together) sets of 310 dies for a given caliber though, I like to get the whole set if possible... I'm OCD like that, don'cha know!

Froggie

Many of the steel 310 tong tools are badly worn on the bump. Brass rubbing on steel should not wear the steel. I suspect the priming chamber (or boolit sizing die!) is at fault for the wear due to steel on steel.
    I have read the alloy handles are superior to the steel handles because the bump is spring steel and replaceable. The "L" and "S" steel handles have the removable spring steel piece, too. I prefer steel. I quickly broke the first alloy set of handles.

I like the idea of priming with other tools when possible, too!

I'm going to try to put up my own chart as soon as I get it made up, proofed, and validated.

Here is a link to an article that references 310 tools for reloading.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/survival_reloading.html
    Last edited by BrassMagnet; 11-20-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey B-Mag! Good to have you join in the discussion... I haven't noticed you posting much lately. Once I decided I "needed" the steel handles I was able to get most of the caliber-specific ones I needed without much drama. Getting the steel L and S sets to use for all the other calibers to strike my fancy was a bit more challenging and required trolling gun shows for a couple of years. Keep in mind that all of this occurred at least 20+ years ago and not as many folks were beating the bushes to get them. Thanks for the explanation about the spring steel bump... I hadn't really thought about the wear aspect of it.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I got a question for the group, can a pair of caliber specific 310 handles that has the mold on the end be used to load a different similar sized caliber than that which is stamped on the tool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1989toddm View Post
    I got a question for the group, can a pair of caliber specific 310 handles that has the mold on the end be used to load a different similar sized caliber than that which is stamped on the tool?

If you're talking about something like a 300 savage, 30-06, 308, 30/40 etc or 38/357, 9MM, 38 super. If the weights are comparable, it's possible sizing would be the key.

Scott
    Scott

Was thinking of loading 22 hornet in a set marked 25-20. From what your saying, it sounds like it needs to be the same size neck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1989toddm View Post
    Was thinking of loading 22 hornet in a set marked 25-20. From what your saying, it sounds like it needs to be the same size neck.

Oops, I took it your question was about the bullet that was cast in the mold.

I'm not sure about the 22 hornet, I do know that you can use a set of 30-06 marked handles to load 308, 270, 243 etc, basically any cartridge that takes the #2 shell adapter. As with most things like this, I'm sure there are exceptions. I'll take a look at the 22 hornet and see what I come up with.

Edit - 22 hornet and the K hornet are the only two cases that use the #4 adapter. I guess from this point you'll have measure the the diameter and see if there's something close.

Scott
    Last edited by dsh1106; 11-20-2016 at 09:33 PM.
    Scott

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast