Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyman 310 Swap thread

Boolit Grand Master
    Believe it or not Eddie, I’ve only ever had one broken set of handles, an aluminum set I got as part of a boxed 30-30 set. It was at a little gun show and the dealer sold it to me for a song, so I was able to replace the handles and make somebody else ver happy. I salvaged the parts I could from the broken handles and used them to fix a couple of tools. Truth to tell, I just don’t see that many broken handles. If you’ve got a steel handle set needing parts, I’d be tempted to look for a scruffy set of alloy handles to buy specifically to cannibalizes for the parts you need.

I’ve got a set of 222 Rem handles in which somebody disabled the hook on by laying in a glob of epoxy or JB Weld. One of my back burner projects is to free up the hook and get it working again. I got those handles in a bulk by about 1986 or so... I’ll get to them eventually.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    You can load 6.5 x 55 Swede on a 6.5x57 Mauser set . Have you seen aluminum handles marked Ideal instead of Lyman ? I have a set but have not seen another set marked that way .

PS: Scroungy aluminum handles are no longer cheap .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    You can load 6.5 x 55 Swede on a 6.5x57 Mauser set . Have you seen aluminum handles marked Ideal instead of Lyman ? I have a set but have not seen another set marked that way .

PS: Scroungy aluminum handles are no longer cheap .
    You tweeked my interest so had to look and see what I had.
    I have one Ideal marked like new and two like used.
    Thanks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kywoodwrkr View Post
    You tweeked my interest so had to look and see what I had.
    I have one Ideal marked like new and two like used.
    Thanks.
    Strange, I have 1 marked ideal and a fist full marked Lyman . I wonder if the early aluminum was Ideal marked then at some point changed to Lyman ? I am not real fond of the alloy handles having grown up using the steel ones . The steel definitely fit my hands better and seem to require less effort to operate . Probably all in my mind !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    If anyone doubts whether this stickie thread works, as I type this there are packages of dies traveling between Ontario, Virginia, and Tennessee, and three reloaders are getting things they need. With the loss of Lyman as a source and the apparent slowing down of the 310 Shop, this swapping thread has become vital!

Froggie
    And my stuff arrived this morning packed to survive a small nuclear blast . Thanks Stew . Very nice condition tools and a fair deal to boot. I also acquired the steel .38 Special set he had. Quickest I have received a package from anywhere in the last two years . Stew (slug) is great to deal with .

Boolit Grand Master
    Be sure to leave feedback as a straight shooter in the swapping and selling forum!

Boolit Master

I did.

Boolit Grand Master
    Plus 1 to what Eddie said. If you’re thinking of trading with slug, even across international lines, I’ll tell you he did right by me! He provided me with a die I hadn’t ever been able to even get a sniff of previously. Thank you Mr Slug!!

Green Frog

Boolit Bub
    Willing to swap or purchase Lyman 310 MR #163 for 7.62x54r russian. If you have one just PM me and thanks!
    Taylor

I have a #163 DA available for trade ---

19 march -- sorry it is a #153, bad eyes and a unclear number strike --
    Last edited by Pavogrande; 03-19-2022 at 11:19 AM.

Boolit Master

How about a #16 priming chamber - Still lookin - Lots to trade
    Being human is not for sissies.

Sorry, the da is the only 7.62 russ bit I have -
    might lay a .010 shim in a 45/70 # 17 for temp use ----

Boolit Bub
    I have a 270 mr die and a expander die with .277 expander. I would like to trade for a 7mm (Mauser) mr die and expander die and 285 expander for 7mm Mauser.

Boolit Bub
    Looking to find/trade/buy the following lyman 310 muzzle resizers or DAs...
    #163 for 7.62x54r
    #34 for 38 S&W
    #15 for 30-40 Krag
    #120 for 30 Mauser/Luger
    PM me and thanks,
    Hoyet

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    I have a #163 DA available for trade ---
    Hello...just saw the reply...what would you like for your #163? I have some 7.62x54 russian pouches for ammo, various surplus and some extra 310 dies and lee loaders...whats your pleasure? Cash works too...how much? Your can PM also.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    Hello...just saw the reply...what would you like for your #163? I have some 7.62x54 russian pouches for ammo, various surplus and some extra 310 dies and lee loaders...whats your pleasure? Cash works too...how much? Your can PM also.
    You have to have a certain number of posts before you can use the PM function . I think it's thirty but I'm not sure . Answer back on this and then try clicking on the name of the person you want to PM and then click PM and see if it works .

Boolit Bub
    I believe the DA is the same thing in the four die set as the MA in the 5 die set. If you want to part with your 7.62r DA let me know what you want and I'm in
    Hoyet

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    I believe the DA is the same thing in the four die set as the MA in the 5 die set. If you want to part with your 7.62r DA let me know what you want and I'm in
    Hoyet
    Nope, the DA die (double acting) is to seat the bullet and remove the mouth bell/crimp. The MR may be incorporated into a CMR, a muzzle resizer (only) or a combination muzzle resizer and decapper. I may have missed it, but I’ve never encountered a die marked MA.

In die sets intended for the TruLine Jr press you may see two dies, one of which decaps and neck sizes on the down stroke then opens the neck on the up stroke (donot try this in a 310 tool - don’t ask!). The other is the familiar DA die to seat and crimp. You may also encounter a FL (full length) sizing die for some straight side pistol cases, also not suggested for 310 tools.

I personally like the MR (only) dies so I can fiddle with how much nec/muzzle resizing I do.of course this involves an “extra” step with the Universal Decapping Die, but if I’m in a hurry, I probably won’t be using a 310 tool!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    From my reading, “DA” stands for “Double Adjustable.”

You only see “(Single) Adjustable” dies on old #3 or #10 Ideal sets. This was a screw-in chamber that reproduced the integral seating/crimping chambers in the #4 and #6 Ideal tools. The integral chambers on those tools seated and crimped the standard boolit out of the mould on the end of the tool. A squeeze of the handles reproduced the factory cartridge, which was what most reloaders were interested in.

The “Single Adjustable” chamber was the same thing, but could be screwed in and out, and set to seat the standard boolit at different depths in the case. It allowed the “Crank” to experiment with crimp elimination, first driving band touching rifling, etc.

The “Double Adjustable” die had the screw-in and -out feature if the “Single Adjustable” die, but also had an adjustable seating stem screwed into the top of the die. Depending on the cavity in the business end of the stem, this allowed the even crankier “Crank” to seat boolits other than the standard on for caliber to any depth or extent of crimp that took his fancy.

We’re so used to seeing double adjustable seating dies in our 7/8” x 14 die sets (and 310 dies, for that matter), that it’s hard to imagine that once this was a cutting-edge development only of interest to the advanced experimental shooter.

Boolit Grand Master
    I stand corrected on terminology friend BR. I still maintain that both SA and DA dies are in fact “double acting” as well, in that they both seat the bullet and smooth out the case mouth (usually involving a “crimp”).

Modern reloaders, seeking to avoid damage to the soft lead bullets use two steps for these functions, one just to seat the bullet and a second to close or crimp the case mouth. Anyone wishing to accomplish this with a set of 310 dies can lower the seating stem in its die so the case mouth is not touched by the DA die while seating the bullet, then using the tubular MR die to “taper crimp” and finish the round.

Ain’t technology marvelous?

Your Phriendly’Phibian

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast