Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyman 310 Swap thread

Boolit Buddy
    OK Froggie:

It's yours.
    Either one will work for me.

PM me your info and I'll have it in the mail Monday.
    Cheers,
    Stew
    Jacketed bullets, what a relic. A throwback to the twentieth century. Real men shoot cast.

A lifetime of happiness in five simple steps:
    Kiss French, ride German, shoot Swiss, eat Italian, drink Scotch.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slug View Post
    OK Froggie:

It's yours.
    Either one will work for me.

PM me your info and I'll have it in the mail Monday.
    Cheers,
    Stew
    Stew,
    I've kicked back in front of the fireplace for the evening. I'll try to dig it out first thing in the AM and see what else I can discover by daylight. Look for a PM tomorrow morning.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Finally gathered energy to descend to the bowels of my basement and locate the two dies I’ll be sending your way as soon as our USPS returns from their three day weekend. (MLK Day, doncha know!). One of the dies is an orphan from a pre-War set (nickel) that sized and decapped (using a separate decapping rod/pin) then was used in the next step to seat and crimp. The second is an early example of the CMR (combination muzzle resize) with the decapping stem screwed in from the top. I’m sure one or perhaps either will work for what you want to do. If not just let me know and I’ll go “back to the well.” Padded mailer should go out tomorrow AM.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Stew,

Do you have the full set for 25-20 and are they for the repeater or single shot dies ? 310 or Tru Line ? I am looking for a set to keep my Remington pump fed . Are you in need of anything else 310 related ?

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Stew,

Do you have the full set for 25-20 and are they for the repeater or single shot dies ? 310 or Tru Line ? I am looking for a set to keep my Remington pump fed . Are you in need of anything else 310 related ?

Eddie
    Eddie,

AFAIK, the 310 dies for 25-20 SS and WCF may be used pretty much interchangeably. The longer, skinny case body of the SS will definitely work with WCF by simply backing the dies out by the proper amount. OTOH, the priming chambers are very different with WCF using a #10 while SS should have a #19. The #10 seems fairly easy to find, but the #19 is pretty thin on the ground around here.

Just a fantasy exercise here. If you find a complete 310 set for 25-20 WCF and another for 30 carbine (which IIRC has the correct #19 PC die) you could load both 25-20s, 32-20, and 30 carbine… four for two! Just a thought!

Froggie

Boolit Master

Froggie ,

I have a 310 set in .30 Carbine and a set in 32-20 . The 25-20 is just one of several that I want but have not found yet at a reasonable price.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like if you’ll stumble onto a 25-20 set of either persuasion, you’ll be in high cotton. I had a beautiful boxed 310 set in 25-20 WCF, but swapped it off several years ago. The guy that got it is getting rid of some stuff and is the consummate trader. I can get in touch with him if you like… whadayagot to trade?

Froggie

Boolit Master

Froggie,

I got a deal working with Stew on his die set . I would love to have a complete steel boxed set but since I retired my play funds are limited and the only extra die sets I know of right off hand are .308 and .270 . I have an extra 310 set in .218 Bee with Aluminum handles . All my stuff got ripped off a number of years back and I have slowly been in the process of replacing the ones I had that I actually used . Getting hard to do now days with folks giving the stupid prices that they have been the last couple of years . Lost everything to a meth head, so far I have rebought about 85% of what he stole . They caught him and I did get three items he stole back from the pawn shop but the rest he sold as scrap metal and was gone long before he was caught .

PS: Might also have a Hornet die set that could be extra. I am also in need of a 38-40 steel set it seems as mine appears to have grown legs.
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 01-18-2022 at 06:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve got the opposite problem… handles, sets and orphan dies have been following me home for years. Some of the complete sets have found new homes, but I fear my accumulation of oddball dies will never be sorted as they should and my nieces will be stuck with sorting the flotsam and jetsam after I’m gone. I hope they don’t hate me for it!
    I had a 38-40 boxed set of dies (NOS) for years. I don’t know what I ever did with them. I’ve got a nice steel handle set of post War 310 in 44-40 for my Henry I got for North-South Skirmish. Those same handles would work for 38-40 and 45 Colt as well.
    Froggie

Boolit Master

Froggie,
    Look for them 38-40's if you don't need them , I'd be interested.

Boolit Grand Master
    If anyone doubts whether this stickie thread works, as I type this there are packages of dies traveling between Ontario, Virginia, and Tennessee, and three reloaders are getting things they need. With the loss of Lyman as a source and the apparent slowing down of the 310 Shop, this swapping thread has become vital!

Froggie

Boolit Master

I am looking for a #16 priming chamber if any one has one gathering dust or pocket lint . . .
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Will the .45 ACP handles do .45 Colt ?

Boolit Grand Master
    Will the .45 ACP handles do .45 Colt ?
    You can try to be sure I’m right, but my guess would be yes. Of course if it’s the pre-War set (prime in handles) the priming step would be different between rimmed and rimless.
    Froggie

Boolit Master

Not a set . I have a loose nickel handle of the 310 style marked 45 ACP . I am out of pocket at the moment and could not remember if the 38-40, 44-40,.44Spl,.45 ACP/AR, and .45 Colt used the small or large handle . I used to remember that stuff but now I have to look it up every now and then to remind myself .

Boolit Master

Not a set . I have a loose nickel handle of the 310 style marked 45 ACP . I am out of pocket at the moment and could not remember if the 38-40, 44-40,.44Spl,.45 ACP/AR, and .45 Colt used the small or large handle . I used to remember that stuff but now I have to look it up every now and then to remind myself .
    IIRC all pistol cartridges use the Small Handles.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    IIRC all pistol cartridges use the Small Handles.

Scott
    ^^^^This^^^^ A few of the longer pistol-class cartridges may be able to be loaded with either length, but the short spigot handles should be usable for all of them. IMHO, folks make a whole lot more about the "fit" of the cartridge to the handle than the matter deserves, and I'm guessing the cartridges you mention, Eddie, will all be reloadable with those handles. If the opening is a few thousandths oversize, it's not problem.
    Your nickel handles for 45 ACP should either have a hook or a slider to enable the rimless case to be held for the priming step. Since all the other cases you mention are rimmed, you should be able to prime any of them except perhaps the 44 Spl without the extra part at all, or if you have the priming chamber, just use that. I have often used random handles to serve as "holders" for priming chambers I wanted to use. I'm pretty casual about using "matching" dies and handles when I see a work around.

Froggie

Boolit Master

That's what I was thinking but I did use a large handle to load .45 Colt and 45-70 both when I was a kid and only had one handle . Thanks to you both ! If either of you find a busted set of handles you don't need the parts from I need a hook and spring for a steel .38 spl handle . Bought them on ebay cheap but when I got them the pin was there but no hook or spring.

Boolit Master

The ability to find multiple work arounds with 310 handles and dies is one of the things I truly love about the Lyman 310 universe.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well said, Mr Butte! It’s kind of a chicken and egg situation, but need for flexibility can lead to 310 tools and 310 tools can bring flexibility as needs arise. I ended up loading 40-40 Maynards with a set of 40-65 Winchester dies... where would I have gotten 40-40 Maynard dies? The 25-20 SS vs WCF question that opened this rabbit hole is another striking example.

It will be most helpful if all of us share these work around as people come on this thread looking for dies for obscure calibers.

Froggie

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast