RotoMetals2MCD ProductsReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Dogs Suffer Depression?

Do Dogs Suffer Depression?

We have a 4yo. Husky that we've had since he was a 9 week old puppy. When we brought him home there was another dog, 7yo Sheltie and a 14yo cat. Well we finally had to put down the cat this spring as she quit eating and was having other signs of being almost 20 years old.

The 2 dogs did OK after she was gone but we could tell they at time would kind of look thru the house for her.

Now just a few weeks ago we also had to put down the Sheltie. He couldn't hardly walk anymore and was going blind. It was a very sad day.

When we got home from the vet the Husky was outside as he was when we left. He was waiting at the gate and was all excited and even more so when he didn't see his partner get out of the car. He spent all day howling and pacing to the door.

He's now gotten to the point that he seems lost, no interest and sticks right by our side all day long and all night. If we're in the house he has no interest in going out. He's sleeping at my feet right now as I write this.

We've started looking for a new companion for him hoping it will perk him up.

Is he on his own during the day? If so, that is going to be a big adjustment for him without his lifetime companions. Sounds like he is looking for company.

In stark contrast earlier this year I lost my constant cat companion Frodo. Near broke my heart but his litter mate seems to prefer being an only cat now. He has really come into his own.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Banned

true story. My dad had two beagles, both from the same litter. One male and one female. They were 8 years old when the female got hit by a car right in front of the male and was killed. The male just quit eating and got sick and died three weeks later so I will say YES they definitely get depressed and suffer loss just like a human does.

Boolit Master
    Any animal can have it. Normal is a lack of something in diet. Sickness is what we look for in larger animals, like in cattle ears down, tail lazy, just a tried look. I talk to them and if off food treat. What is hard watching any animal go down and turn for worse. Had a 14 year old cow go down and that was hard.

Your dog is a pack animal and he lost is pack. They feel and know but have no knowledge or remember very little of the details. He will be okay but need to get him moving and out.

Sorry for the loss or your other pets.

Boolit Master

When my Flat Coat passed,Maggy my Redbone searched for days.I remember when I was 13,my father had an old mix breed dog.The dog met him every day when he would come home from work.When dad was killed,the dog continued to go to the end of the driveway and wait.But now he would howl and cry.Tormented my mother bad,she gave him to one of dad's friends.Yes,from my observations,they can get depressed and miss people as well as other animals.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Moderator Emeritus

Since your husky was raised with other pets he bonded with them and depended on them......a lot of dogs tear things up when they are left alone for extended time.....We have 3 puppy children and a crazy cat.....they all interact and when one is missing the others look for the missing one.....I vote for another dog or cat ..... IMHO.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Yes, absolutely.

Boolit Master

I had a litter mate to my BMC and when he got hit by a car my BMC went into a depression state for several days.they had an old piece of strap that they played tug of war with that the BMC would get and face towards I had buried the other pup lay it down ad bark/whine for the other come play with him.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Moderator Emeritus

How would you feel if you were the last of your kind in your little corner of the world? Of course they can get depressed. Dogs are simple animals, and tend to expect things to always be the same way with no changes, simply because that's what they want. They're even worse at this than we humans tend to be. I'd recommend getting another dog. It is used to companionship, and needs some new dog or cat to provide that. It won't be the same, but it'll be much better than not having anyone there for much of the day. But that's just my opinion. These things are always a guess, and that's just the best I can come up with.

Banned

It is absolutely true because dogs do think and feel. I will not agree they are simple but are more complex then some people. I watch mine dream, kick feet and make noises. They understand words and commands. They also love and it could be another dog or animal.
    At 11 each night I shut the TV off, Mai will stand up so I can pick her up, she puts her head on my shoulder, under my chin and makes funny little sounds. She goes in her bed on her pillow.
    They are much more and when I see mine tilt her head side to side when I talk to her, I know she understands.
    Some get frantic if left alone. I put my shoes on and get my wallet and she sits and wags to go but when I tell her I need to go where she can't, she understands.
    It is a bond like no other.

Boolit Master
    My daughter got a new Border Collie pup.
    She has been recovering from neck surgery so her dog has been in the pen. I go down every day with my four wheeler, let the little dog out and take it for a run. It is a sweet dog that loves people and attention.

Yes it gets lonesome and depressed when left unattended.
    All it wants is someone to love it and play with it.

I guess I have a new dog in a way..

Roscoe and Diesel were very close. They'd do everything together. At the present time he's here with the wife and I all day, I'm retired. Seems ok when out for a walk or a ride in the car. Sad but funny how he reacted when we came back and Roscoe didn't get out of the car.

The 3 of us the day before.

We are now looking for another and now my question is do any of you have experience with rescue dogs? We've found a few that look interesting. our cut off point is a 2 year old.

Boolit Master
    Rescue dogs may be fine, especially if you can get a pup. I like to get a young dog so I can work with them and train them from the start.

Oh yes! Any person who has dogs and communicates with them knows.

Boolit Master

They got him a kitty.

When my springer Ziggy had to be put down, I was given a golden that my son's-wife's-brother had. He was unwanted by the brother's common law wife. He was a house dog. They also had a black lab who was an outside dog. When Arrow the golden came to live with me, his companion the BL went into a funk. He refused to eat, waited at the door for Arrow to come out and play. They almost renigged on the deal to give Arrow to me in order to save the BL from starvation. They got him a baby cat! Those two were inseparable! He "raised" that cat.

Arrow was simply ignored by the former owners! We bonded in a matter of a couple of days. He was so hungry for affection and somebody who cared for a dog. Yes, they can--do love us. And they do love and care about their companions--litter mates and pack mates.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Dogs definitely miss people. After my wife died, our lab would, several times a day, go all over the house and look in every room and the cellar for her. That lasted about a month. Even now, almost four years later, if I say "where's Kathy?", he'll look for her.

Dogs are sentient beings. They think, feel and have emotions. They love and therefore grieve when the loved one is gone. Dogs in general are pack animals, they want to be a part of a group. People, other dogs and even cats can be part of their pack. They grow very very attached to members of their pack. I call it love, but it probably isn't love as humans understand that term.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Wife and I have cats, and yes even them have & show emotions.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master
    Rescue dogs are a toss up. My prior Sheppard was raised by us from the start. No finer dog ever lived. Old age took him and we got another Sheppard. The new one is very affectionate and it has taken years so far to bring her along as much as we have. It's an effort to "unmess" what others have done to mess her up. Wouldn't trade her for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Wife and I have cats, and yes even them have & show emotions.
    I like cats also. They are very complex animals. Some like others cats and others do not. However, they are all highly intelligent and do bond very closely with people. They just won't put up with your BS like a dog will.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.