Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas service

Boolit Master

Cabelas service

I received a gift card and finally bought myself a proper revolver a new 929. This is the first and last firearm i will buy from Cabelas. After you say youwant to buy a firearm, they walk you to a seperate place for the backround check.. i was number 4, ie three people in front of me including the 2 already started. How come i had to sit and wate for over an hour while my wife pushed my 2 kids,2.5 and 1.25yrs old around the store tryingto keep them busy. I have bought cars faster. Sorry rant over

Banned

At the cabela's in Hamburg, Pa. you can be there longer than that to buy a gun.

Boolit Grand Master

You didn't have to sit and wait. Once the paperwork was complete you could have gone anywhere you wanted, assuming you gave them your cell number. I am not excusing their long wait times. I've waited over two hours at the Hamburg store. And that was after waiting an hour for my number to be called to look the gun over. Lesson learned and I will never go there again on the day after Christmas. Go on a weeknight if you don't want to wait. But even then they are to slow because there are to many people handling a simple procedure.

Boolit Buddy
    I never did understand Cabela's process for firearm purchases. You fill out the electronic 4473 (which I hate, BTW), and even in a state where a CHP or purchase certificate works in lieu of a NICS check, it will still take >20min for them to process whatever they're processing. That was when there were 4+ people working in the firearms section and I was the only customer waiting on a firearms purchase.

I assume they're still doing a NICS check, even when not required, and/or some sort of corporate-level checks or record processing, but don't know for certain.

Boolit Master
    That was to fill out the paperwork lol. This is the buffalo store... its considered a micro store. Walmart is bigger. No crazy crouds, just employees that like to take there sweet time ( the older man who was punching info into the computer all day could probly type 10 words a min using his one finger) and if i have to take a number to even look at a product for sale im walking out and going elsewhere

Boolit Master

size of store matters little, its the actual records check that screws you. my little gun shop I buy from can tell me the approximate wait time and sometimes its hours, so I go do other things and come back.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    My last long gun I purchased from a big box store took less than an hour total, including the time for the clerk to carry the gun in its box to the front door of the store before I could take possession of it. My last handgun I bought through a private sale which had to be registered through an in state FFL but it took a little longer than normal. In Maryland for a handgun purchase there is a mandatory seven day waiting period. That is after you get your Handgun Qualification License (that you need just to be able to purchase a handgun), which will take you a minimum of 30 days and cost over $100 even if you are exempt from taking the training classes. It is the same seven day wait even if you already own a handgun or an arsenal. In my case the FFL ended up with a trip to the emergency room and a hospital stay during the seven day wait so I couldn't pick up my gun for two weeks. Did I mention in Maryland you can also only buy one handgun a month so for most people it will take 30 days before they can pick up another. Actually this is better than it was during the panic buying in 2013 before the latest round of restrictive state anti gun laws went into effect (the 7 day wait already existed), back then it was taking 90 to 120 days until a lawsuit forced the State Police Licensing Division to stop intimidating FFL's and allow them to follow the law as written.

Those of you who live in the real United States be thankful for what you have and be vigilant or the the crazy rules of the anti gunners could come to your state. Someday I hope to move from Maryland to a free state.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Bub
    I have only had one NICS check (including the 4473) take more than 5 minutes. 1 hour is inexcusable in my opinion unless the NICS system is overloaded, which is rare. I seriously doubt that's the case in mid July.

Boolit Master

My last handgun buy was denied.I have a CCW and a C&R.The shop told me not to worry and called a week later to tell me to come get my gun.Never did find out the reason for this.

I googled my name...about 20 other people in Tennessee have that name.It it not a common name either.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

Are those living in such restrictive states having problems selling out and moving?
    NC requires a Handgun Permit which includes a background check, but you can get as many as you like and it usually takes a week. If you have a CCW permit it replaces the background check.
    Since I always have a ready handgun permit and am a CCW holder, I fill out the 4473, pay, and out the door, with as many as I can afford. Rifles only need the 4473 and you're good to go.
    We do however restrict who uses the locker rooms and restrooms marked gender specific.
    I wouldn't leave NC if I won a mansion somewhere else.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

It doesn't matter what cabelas you go to.... Long wait. I bought a handgun over a year ago an don't needed nics check. Took them roughly an hour after selecting the gun with several people I front of me. Bought my wife a 22 a couple of months ago, no nics (ccl) and one person in front. Took an hour. And 45 minutes of that was then standing around with their finger in their ear. No reason for it to take this long. Paperwork 5 minutes, electronic questionnaire 5 to 10 (this is on you) nics 5 min at least with my other purchases elsewhere that is max time I've waited.... OK 10...or zero with ccl in Arkansas. Then 5 to get second person to check form and serial number. 2min to pay and out you go. 32 min if you and they are sloooow. Ccl, and maybe 20min. Btw, there are 4 terminals in my store and they were using one at a time......

Boolit Master
    I won't go to a cabelas. I was in one and was not impressed same for bass pro and dicks. I go to the gun auctions at readings auction service. they sell 200 or more guns a day longest wait with back round check 10 min.

Boolit Master
    If they were to do the electronic NICS check, the time would be cut in more than half.

Boolit Buddy

Cabelas service

Gee I thought I was the only one that had a problem with Cabela's service at Hamburg. I have been there twice and don't ever plan on going back. They even gave me a hassle using a credit card ...a Cabela's card no less.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake70 View Post
    I have only had one NICS check (including the 4473) take more than 5 minutes. 1 hour is inexcusable in my opinion unless the NICS system is overloaded, which is rare. I seriously doubt that's the case in mid July.
    Takes about 5-10 minutes here for my to fill out the form and get it rubber stamped. One of the benefits of a CHL and Texas I suppose.

I agree that would be ridiculous for a wait, but I wouldn't buy a gun from them either way. Full MSRP + a % for profit margin added usually, I'd rather hit my LGS for a used model or order online and get a transfer done.

I buy powder and primers from them online during sales though and have nothing but stellar experiences with the customer service department when one of my boxes "disappeared off the truck"...

Boolit Man
    Sounds like lazy employees to me. There is no reason it should take more than 20 minutes from the time you pick it out to the time you walk out the door. Especially at a place the size of Cabela's.

Boolit Master
    Cabelas is the last place anyone should buy a gun, they are the most expensive of all the big box outdoor stores. Anyone and everyone else beats them on pricing around here.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    Cabelas is the last place anyone should buy a gun, they are the most expensive of all the big box outdoor stores. Anyone and everyone else beats them on pricing around here.
    I don't know if there are any out there, but around me we have Gander Mountain stores in addition to Bass Pro and Cabelas. Cabelas is expensive for sure, but Gander Mountain is even more so. Sickeningly so.

I try to buy from local gunstores when possible. In addition to supporting local businesses, I often find much better deals on used or even new firearms there. At the very least I buy online and send to an FFL. Just depends on what I'm looking for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric88 View Post
    I don't know if there are any out there, but around me we have Gander Mountain stores in addition to Bass Pro and Cabelas. Cabelas is expensive for sure, but Gander Mountain is even more so. Sickeningly so.

I try to buy from local gunstores when possible. In addition to supporting local businesses, I often find much better deals on used or even new firearms there. At the very least I buy online and send to an FFL. Just depends on what I'm looking for.
    Im willing to pay more for instant gratification and them keeping items in stock. I'm not willing to go 100-200 higher just for the privledge of gracing their doors. Some places are more reasonable than others (lgs, pawnshops, etc). Academy, Gander Mountain, and Cabela's are all equally overpriced for my needs. One got mad when i asked if he would price match what I had pulled up on my phone (LGS).

Moderator Emeritus

Here it depends on the backlog. Recently it was over 3 hours at lgs on a Friday and about an hour or so the next day. Normally only takes about 10-15 mins from what I remember.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast