Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger #3 Scope Mt? - 22 hornet loads/boolits

Ruger #3 Scope Mt? - 22 hornet loads/boolits

Is there a better scope mount system that Weaver style avaible for #3 Ruger? Will
    any of the #1 quarter ribs fit #3 ?
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 12-15-2017 at 11:48 AM. Reason: edited title for more discussion

I have seen #1 Quarter Ribs on Custom #3's but I don't think they are a drop on.

googlage shows
    Ruger
    Redfield
    Weaver i use weaver #85-86 on a #3
    Buehler
    Conetrol
    Leupold? (not sure about this one)
    (S&K - maybe)
    looks like they make bases for #3 or did at one time.

Hmmm, brownells seems to list a fair number - wonder if you called them
    and asked if any fit your #3 barrel if they would know.

FITS: No. 1S, .45-70 http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod11404.aspx

FITS: No. 1H, .375 Mag http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod11351.aspx

FITS: No. 1H, .416, .458 http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod11354.aspx

FITS: No. 1A http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod11346.aspx

FITS: No. 1B http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod11348.aspx

FITS: No. 1S, .218, 7mm Mag, .300 Mag, .338 Mag
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod11349.aspx

The factory hole pattern for a .223 Ruger #3 is as follows, all dimensions from the barrel shoulder forward: 0.200", 1.060" 3.420", 3.980". As I recall all the bases from weaver were the same # for #3's so that would indicate that all barrels (calibers) were the same profile.

Custom builders will sometimes make a picatinny rail or quarter rib that overhangs the receiver ring, allowing the rear ring to be placed directly over the receiver ring, to allow more rear placement of the scope for better eye relief adjustment.
    Last edited by Artful; 07-10-2016 at 04:21 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Moderator Emeritus

"Will, any of the #1 quarter ribs fit #3 ?"
    I can't answer that, but I can tell you, the original ruger mount is probably the way to go, but are extremely rare to find. I've never found one for my two ruger #3 guns (I'm still looking). I just use the cheap alum weaver mounts for now. btw, the weavers may need a bit of modifing to fit and have the correct elevation.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    ...SNIP...
    As I recall all the bases from weaver were the same # for #3's so that would indicate that all barrels (calibers) were the same profile.
    Yes, weaver lists them all the same, But I think the profiles vary a bit, that is just a guess, because, the Weaver mounts fit fine (without mods) on my 45-70. But I had to remove some metal (for elevation correction) as well as taper a base on my 22 hornet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master

I had to resort to the Weaver extension rings. I've been looking for the Redfield rings (512032) for years with no luck
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Ruger bases for #3 Rugers that use Ruger rings. These are not very common.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06858.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	172081
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I too would like a set of bases like EDG pictured. However, I've got a set of Weaver bases on my #3 hornet and can't really complain about them.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Ruger bases for #3 Rugers that use Ruger rings. These are not very common.

Name:	DSC06858.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	172081
    I've never seen or heard of the two piece factory mounts, thanks for the photo.
    The only factory mount I've seen (til today) is a one piece.

(photo borrowed from a foreign website)
    http://www.rafdal-vapen.no/Customvpen_Bilder-2416s.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    I know this will not be much help but this is what came on my used #3 in .22 Hornet.

Name:	Ruger #3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	172102
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Will find out hen I start sighting in. 375 is a bit of kicker.
    ... 223 has very little recoil.
    I like my 223 - I like my 375 but it has a recoil pad mounted on it

You should try a 45-70 with full house loads - That's a bit of a kicker.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy

Guys the No.1 quarter ribs are not that hard to find. I just sold one the other day. Point being they are available and the slight machining required to make them work on the No.3 makes them a no brainer. I have a couple of honey holes for locating hard to find parts. If you are looking and can't find, PM me. I can usually find just about anything in a day or two. Been at this a long time.

Just FYI, gunshows are a literal buffet of obscure stuff like quarter ribs. My last one here in Great Falls, there was a guy that had about a dozen of them for sale on his table. I got his number, just in case.

Moderator Emeritus

I got permission from speedyr to quote part of a comment of his, from post #75 of another thread,
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Xmas-Giveaway
    So I could wake up this older Ruger #3 thread...so those of us #3 fans, could have some discussion about the Discontinued Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyr - Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:09:07 +0000
    SNIP...

I am surprised at the number of Ruger #3 rifles[mentioned in this thread]. I had assumed I had one of the few, as most folks I run into don't even know what a Ruger #3 is. My first Hornet was a contender barrel, still like that one, as well as the #3 (need to figure out how to mount a scope on it) and picked up a 77/22 hornet stainless. Haven't worked up a load for that one yet, but so far it's liking 40gr Vmax.

I just started to get into casting, so if there's a preferred Hornet bullet (NOE 39gr seems popular), feel free to PM me details (so as to not clutter this fine thread) and also picked up the stuff to powder coat the little buggers as well.
    speedyr,
    I thought of this thread, when you mentioned putting a scope on a Ruger #3, but I didn't want to start a side discussion on the other thread, as that thread has it's own purpose. I hope these older posts help you figure out a scope mount that works for you.

Like you, I thought I had one of the few Ruger #3 in 22 hornet on the planet. I'd never seen one at a gunshow (or anywhere else), til I seen the one I bought. I haven't seen one since (in person). But there are several owners (and former owners) here at castboolits.

Mostly, I've shot 45gr J-words with 2400 in this rifle with great success. As to cast boolits, I tried a few, but only had some limited success with the old style Lee Bator, I had issues with other boolits. I used Lil'gun and pushed them about 1800fps, and I think a faster burning powder, going a little slower(fps) would be better. I'll get to that someday...also on the list to try is the NOE 37gr and loading it to 22LR power level, using bullseye, for quieter shots.

I don't PC boolits, so I don't have anything to say about that.

I'm hoping others might chime in, with their experiences with the #3
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Banned
    The nicest way (not cheap) is to buy the Leupold 2 piece turn in/windage adj. "gunsmith" bases and have them fitted to the rifle. I had 2 done in the past and they worked out perfectly.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks jonB. I don't recall off the top of my head the two Weaver bases that they recommend (86 and 85 as mentioned earlier seems right) and I have one of them I found a while ago but haven't gotten the other one.

I don't remember my loads, but more than likely H110. I have some lil'gun and 2400 as well but again, for some reason I think I was mainly focusing on H110.

I'll dig into it after the holidays and see what I can figure out. I might have a spare scope that I could mount on the rifle and see what she'll do. I started to develop a load for the 77/22 and will see if any of those work in the #3. I've got a ton of 35-46gr bullets (I have three hornets and a bee) that I've collected over the years (plus a visit to Sierra last year to pick up some cosmetic blems didn't help). I save the flat nose stuff for the 218 (browning 65).

But yes if anyone has any suggestions for mold or powder coating on boolits for the hornet or bee let me know.

Boolit Buddy

It is a PITA to scope any of the Ruger single shots. If you can find them - good luck! - Maynard Buhler made mounts for the Ruger #3. Every now and then one of them will show up on Ebay. They are quite nice, but do require Buhler rings (much easier to find). For practical purposes, Weaver mounts are the current default, as original Ruger mounts are nearly impossible to locate.

I have four #3s, 223, (2) 375wins & a 45/70. Have Weaver bases on all them. It's a PIA to
    find scope that will work out in any combo of rings. The 223 has aWeaver K10, no problem
    because of long tube. Have K3s on two and Burris 2x8 on one 375W. it worked out for eye
    relief and didn't crowd front bell.Attachment 209543

Used these. 35 years and never a problem.

Name:	R.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	210056

Name:	blocks.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	210057

Boolit Buddy

I know this thread is old but for anyone else looking for this I believe ruger part #90004 is a currently produced version of the ruger mounts shown in post #6. ruger's online accessory store lists it as fitting the #3 rifle as well as the #1 varminter.

Boolit Buddy
    Since the barrel profiles are different on the #3 and 1V, the Ruger bases are also different. At least, they always have been in the last 40+ years that I've been playing with Ruger single shots.

FWIW, there were lots of aftermarket bases/rings for the #3. Not as many as for the No. 1, still, I have or have had them made by Ruger, Weaver, Redfield (one of those is pictured above), and Buehler. There are probably a couple of others I'm forgetting or not aware of.

Hello Guys,

A few years ago I purchased a set of Cloned Ruger bases from Brownell's, but I no longer see them on their web page.
    The Weaver bases didn't sit right on my #3 in 45-70. I'd try contacting Brownell's if anyone is still looking for these.

AntiqueSledMan.