RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee loader work "bench"

Boolit Master

Lee loader work "bench"

This may have been covered in an earlier post but here goes,
    I load .30 carbine, .45 acp & 9 mm with my Lee Loader Classic kits, Redding #2 scale & Lyman 55 measure.
    I complete each reloading step on all brass before moving to the next step. One day I'll get a real loading press but don't have room for it now in my limited garage work area. My " workbench" is based on 3 cheap kitchen cabinets & a piece of recycled counter top, pretty flimsy to be pounding on but good enough from scales, measures, loading blocks & the like.
    I started using a 4 x 4 for a base for the loading steps that require pounding.
    Then I noticed clearing the spent primers from under the shell base was a pain, if you don't get rid of them every 3rd or 4th case they clog the drop hole. So used a 3/4" wood paddle bit to counter sink a 1/4" deep recess in the top of my 4x4, then used a 3/8" bit to drill an angle hole down from the center of the recess out the side of the 4x4. Now the spent primers fall into a waiting bucket.
    I added a second recess to hold the die steady while pounding the brass in to size it.
    the shell base gets screwed down as shown so it doesn't bounce around while pounding the brass in & out of the sizing die.
    i move the shell base to the blind recess for bullet seating, if left screwed down it effects the seating depth, not to mention my concern the screw head might fire the primer. Another hole for the depriming pin & priming pin as required.
    the 4x4 is C clamped to my stool.
    Not a very elegant solution but it's sturdy, keeps things in place & lets me use both hands with a lot less putting things down & picking up.
    Attachment 172005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	172006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	172008

Very ingenious. I really like the 4x4. Well played, my friend, well played indeed.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master
    Also much more sturdy and quiet then beating on table top which has give. Great idea for the limited space work area. Keep up the good work and thanks for posting your ideas. Good portable reloading with the Lee loader for those without dies and hand press.

Mike

Boolit Master

Nice setup for the classic loaders.

Banned
    Thanks for sharing. I am just getting started and bought a Lee Precision. This looks like a great way to do it.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby or by internet get one of their cheap 1ton arbor presses. You can support your tabletop with a couple 4x4's to carry all the weight you need to operate the Lee dies with it. And a whole lot cheaper than the Sinclair setup, with a better arbor press.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a 4x4 piece of cherry with a thick metal top. Great anvil, but your idea of primer removal is dandy. Well done.

Boolit Master

A few after thoughts to add:
    1) actual OD of shell holders and sizing dies is 13/16 th. I didn't have a paddle bit that size so used 3/4" and oscillated the drill to enlarge hole. Snug fit, but worked out well since I didn't want she'll holder bouncing out while I sized brass.
    2) sizing die will fit in shell holder recess but after sizing a couple hundred cases there, the primer drop out hole has to be reamed out, better to have a separate recess for sizer.
    3) I use this set up on a concrete floor. Probably not a good idea on tile, wood or other finished surfaces.

Boolit Master
    Ingenious! I don't load metallic but shotshells and have quite a similar setup for 410. But i use a scrap of 2x4 as the bench and use assorted trash as tools. Only store bought is a hand resizer which I whack hulls and cases into. Generally i reload over a table but did some reloading on a friends farm camp. My kit fits a small camp stove case (same size as a power drill case). Great job!

Boolit Grand Master

Well Done ! This has to be the most compact set up for the Lee loader I have ever seen.
    I would sit on the concrete garage floor and pound, this lets you stand , or sit on a stool, and load.
    You could even make a deluxe model...... a 6x6!

You get a great big ATTABOY for this one !
    Gary

Nice set up, I took apart a stool and spent most of a Saturday working to make a Lee Loader work table out of it, and it was not half as elegant solution as yours when it was done.

I have a press and bench but also still have and sometimes use the wack-a-mole loaders, your solution was just added to my someday list of projects. Getting a good height for using the mallet is important to having the work be easy and comfortable.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Rodgerdat,
    youre right about the height, my set up would be more user friendly if it was 3 or 4 inches lower, but I've sized a couple thousand rounds on it and the work surface is still ok, when it gets too beat up I'll cut it down a couple inches & start over.
    btw, we lived near Howell for 20 years before heading south. We were there in June visiting the kids.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=gwpercle;3707109]Well Done ! This has to be the most compact set up for the Lee loader I have ever seen.
    I would sit on the concrete garage floor and pound, this lets you stand , or sit on a stool, and load.

Gary,
    i thought about using a 4x6 for a multi-station model, but a 6x6, ....now we're talking turret!

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160311_001-1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	172146

Hopefully you can see my field kit LOL

The piece of 2x4 is not shown as I added later. All that stuff fits the case but is not very confortable. Not even close to the OPs bench setup but hey it works too hahaha

This is exactly what this site is all about!

Another Great Idea! and well executed also.

This just shows that you don't have to be rich to enjoy a hobby to it's fullest, you just have to use your head.

Innovation comes from within and is generated by necessity, not the bank.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Well Done ! This has to be the most compact set up for the Lee loader I have ever seen.

You get a great big ATTABOY for this one !
    Gary
    +1
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master

love the fact you are pounding onto concrete--that is about as solid as the make it.

great innovation there
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Mold
    Brilliant! I'm going to get started on one of these 4x4 stands pretty soon as I really enjoy using the Lee Classic Loaders. Thank you for sharing.

Chris

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Here's my work bench from scrap. Only bought some screws/lock-washers/nuts. Rest scrounged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast