MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Pewter Value ???

Pewter Value ???

I haven't been around much lately, so I'm kind of out of touch about the current value of pewter. I'm pretty well set for what I need for my own casting, but I ran across a nice little stash at a yard sale today. I was going to put it up for sale in the Swappin' and Sellin' section, but need a little guidance. I have 13.2 pounds of hallmarked pewter. If I mash a few pieces flat, I can get it all in a large flat rate priority mail box. Is $125 delivered a fair price? Thanks for any and all input.....Dale
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.

Boolit Master
    Seems like a fair price to me.....first dibs!

Sorry had to get my first dibs out before brassmagnet or george show's up.

I just browsed around comparing swapping and selling vs ebay and came up with the following:

$10 per lb shipped is as high as I'm willing to personally go. For expedience and not shopping around you can go rotometals for 17.99 + shipping or fleabay for ~25 + shipping. Ebay does occasionally have a lower priced option but if not a "buy it now" it will quickly get bid up to the current going rate. All depends on how fast you want it and how bad you need it.

Around here our members seem a bit more savvy and score pewter on the cheap, so i don't feel bad paying them a premium for their hard work. I understand they buy it for pennies on the dollar compared to retail, but I also factor in the time invested, gas cost, and sheer willingness to go out and look for the stuff.

Just in my opinion of course, feel free to do whatever. I've only used up maybe 2lbs of my original 40lb order I over paid for. This stuff goes a lot farther than I had calculated in my head. At least at my current usage rates.
    Last edited by DerekP Houston; 07-09-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Boolit Master

Sounds fair to me-compared to Rotometals 17.99/lb for either of 3 pewter alloys. Of course compared to 99 cents for a 14 oz pewter compote it's not quite as advantageous. I saw a recent Ebay offering of 1 lb delivered for $15, with more available. I shop the thrift stores, rummage sales etc. so I am a seller not a buyer. I mold ingots in a Potter mold that I got from a member here.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

There are 2 long running ads in the S&S right now with prices under $10 a pound. You are right in the ballpark.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

In Remembrance

Yesterday (Friday) I took delivery of just under 7.5 lbs. of marked pewter after winning 2 auctions of candlesticks, platters, pitcher & bowl and 12 figurines all for $31.00. This was on an online auction that is run locally. Was told this all came from an elderly ladies estate.Robert

The ad has peen placed and the pewter is officially for sale. Thanks all.
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.